Upgrading Display from 800 to 850C - VoltBike, Radrover and M2S

Calicoskies

Anyone upgrade the display? I posted question in VoltBike forum but thought I would open this up since this bike is very similar to many brands.

Think we have the 800 and there is a 850C that looks like the next level up, I have the Voltbike Yukon 2018 edition. 850c has same password and from same company but not 100% sure if plug and play. Do not want to replace controller or wire connections. Has anyone tried a new display? Do not think any of the DPC stuff will work because for mid-drive. This is the 750 watt geared rear wheel motor G06. Would like to have voltage on display. Maybe a even nicer display than 850c that is plug and play?

https://california-ebike.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/850C.pdf

Also wondering what happens if you hold all three buttons to factory reset current display? Would I be able to set one time items or would I lock the bike up and need a programmed display straight from VoltBike?

M2S bike actually has the 850c as a upgrade. What is confusing is the unknown if anything done by each company that we can not adjust?

https://shop.m2sbikes.com/collections/accessories/products/apt-850c-display?variant=47613822472

You can read my thread on the latest controller that is being used (confirmed on VoltBike Only) is actually a 12 amp with 25 amp peak (12 mosfet). I tried to go up to 20 amp but saw no difference in wattage so think it is ignoring my setting and highest allowed is 15 but you can adjust down if you wish. Think the motor is set with winding for higher low end torque than for speed. If I want more speed I would need to change sprocket so i can keep my pedaling up with speed but that is not what I am looking for, just want to be able to use my motor to safe max. Also heard motor max is 900 watts which seems wrong to me also but maybe different winding changes that somehow, should be closer to 1500 watts.

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...784-45-3m-vs-lsw1106-58-10f-controller.24184/

Talked to George at Voltbike and he is going to do some checks but is pretty sure the 800S we have now can be replaced with the 850Color without issue. Also holding three buttons down to factory reset is bad and will likely require a new display to be sent so do not do that. Did not really have a answer for the 15 amp max even if you set it higher, maybe the motor does max out at 900 watts max (with out changing display and controller) at that low end torque. I am ok with that.

Also wondering what happens if you hold all three buttons to factory reset current display? Would I be able to set one time items or would I lock the bike up and need a programmed display straight from VoltBike?
Not sure if it was in a thread here on EBR or on Facebook, but someone did press all 3 buttons at the same time and Voltbike had to ship them a new display. If that's true, it sounds like VB has to base config the display for their bike.

Voltbike just answered over in the Facebook Yukon Owner Group:

George Krastev I just got a reply from the controller factory and they confirmed that the Intelligent 850 color display can work with the existing controller on Yukon 750. So you guys can upgrade your display if you find 850 at a good price.

Now I need to try to find the correct one, seems like there are a bunch marked for mid-drive motors so not sure if the difference is the connector that comes with the display. Someone else said they bought one off Amazon and not able to connect. Little unclear if all 850c are the same or if they have different models with different connectors (same 5 wires).

Voltbike just answered over in the Facebook Yukon Owner Group:

George Krastev I just got a reply from the controller factory and they confirmed that the Intelligent 850 color display can work with the existing controller on Yukon 750.
Perhaps this can become standard equipment in the 2019 Yukon 750. I would say upgrade, but Voltbike doesn't offer any upgrades, which I would suspect slows down delivery if you're doing them here in North America after the base bikes are delivered from Asia. At least that's the way I would handle it. However, if you're opening up the boxes to inspect them anyway I can't imagine swapping out a display takes more than 5 minutes assuming all the connectors are the same.

Now we are asking about the DPC-18, this is the latest and greatest but I have my doubts if it will work with the controller or not. Unsure on cables matching or if we would need software and special cables to get it set up correctly. More questions than answers.

I just purchase and received a Bafang DPC-14 colour display from Aliexpress, unfortunately the plug on the new display is a female plug. The plug on the Voltbike is also female plug.

Wondering if anyone has tried this cable with Bluetooth and than you use a app (Fore Rider) to control, the trouble is that they say you need a pay version to adjust speed but did not see this pay version on App Store. Maybe this was discontinued. http://app.lsdzs.com/home/bluetooth-adapter/

Also see this which looks like you can adjust speed but not sure if I need there cable or not.

http://www.lsdzs.com/en.php/download/index/id/66.html think the bottom picture shows the screen in the middle right which has a check mark for keep settings that is where to change top speed. Seems like it is just standard tx and rx signals.

I was finally able to get the color 850C display form M2S bikes, this was the only place I could find that had the correct cable for easy plug and play (less than a hundred with shipping and tax). No issues with install, uses the same bracket as 800 from Intelligent that was on my VoltBike Yukon 750. The button pad also now has a connector with the new 850C instead of hardwired into the display like the 800. Due to Hurricane Florence I will likely not get to ride much for several days but did a quick four miles just to get a feel for it.

I really like the Color display, real-time voltage in top right corner, Clock on top left and just the overall data being displayed to me on one screen (speed, wattage, PAS setting, Trip and Ride Time). I was not able to adjust from Digital to Analog for some reason but do like the Analog look anyway so good with that if not able to adjust. I tried to change current level from 15 amps to 20 amps but this still seems to have no effect, controller has it locked at 15 amps maximum on VoltBike. My post above with the link to how to remove this limitation would likely work but for now I am good, http://www.lsdzs.com/en.php/download/index/id/66.html .

The actual MPH before assist is cut seems to be 25 now, when it was 22 before, which is great but I need to do some more testing. I did notice when I just lift the rear wheel to check speed the new 850C shows reading but on the 800 it stayed at 0 on display, maybe sensor is done differently? I show the settings I used below in picture, just compared to the old display. Not sure what the Key antijam is but left at No, maybe just something to do with control panel keys getting stuck down or something. May adjust start to ECO or Standard off of PWR at some point to see the difference. Any questions let me know.

1536852802404.png

1536852757402.png

Yes it has the correct plug, very difficult to find for some reason, as you know already. Here is the picture of the 800 display with the cable to the controller not in my hand. Yes was ready to go took less than five minutes to install.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 914
Just wanted to add some additional comments about display. First I noticed the clock did not keep the time after being without main battery for about a week. I did some searches and found it to be a issue but one guy said it just needs to stay on power and the built in battery will charge. He left his display on over night and has not had a problem since. Will see if it fixes itself over time. This display is a little more difficult to read in full Sun than the 800S but not enough that I care. Love all the info on one screen so am happy. I seem to never cut out assist but just top out at 25 mph which I think is the normal for the windings on this motor, set for torque not speed. I still would like to change amps past the hard coded 15 amps (you can change it but does not do anything) just for extra power when need but not going to mess with figuring out cables and computer software to do it. Just going to enjoy the ride for now.

Thanks Mike good reminder for people to be careful. I would call myself a little more advanced and understand enough to be dangerous. I did email the manufacture to understand the controller better, which actual was much higher specification than on controller label. With that information I was comfortable going a little higher on the amps but being locked I did not want to download the free software and make a cable ( unsure it would work or lock up bike anyway). I missed the voltage reading I have on my other two bikes (one kit built) which began my search for as easy swap display. Voltbike confirmed that the display could be used and will likely make them available in the future, same as what M2S did as a upgrade. Make sure you discuss with the original equipment manufacturers before making changes to your bike, like I did.

Thanks Mike good reminder for people to be careful. I would call myself a little more advanced and understand enough to be dangerous. I did email the manufacture to understand the controller better, which actual was much higher specification than on controller label. With that information I was comfortable going a little higher on the amps but being locked I did not want to download the free software and make a cable ( unsure it would work or lock up bike anyway). I missed the voltage reading I have on my other two bikes (one kit built) which began my search for as easy swap display. Voltbike confirmed that the display could be used and will likely make them available in the future, same as what M2S did as a upgrade. Make sure you discuss with the original equipment manufacturers before making changes to your bike, like I did.
Just a quick note of thanks. I just purchased an 850c display from MS2 for my Yukon 750 after a long wait for them to come back in stock. I have no anxiety about compatibility and did not make the mistake of purchasing one of the 100's of listings that are generally available with the wrong connector for the Voltbike. Thanks.

I just installed the 850c that arrived from M2S today on my 2019 Yukon 750. Worked like a charm. The only difference I noticed is the display is now branded as M2S instead of Intelligent.

Back