Updating voilamart with KT controller

Many KT controllers support regenerative braking. There will be a jumper to connect that enables it when brake levers are pulled. Guess you bought the wrong one.

Many KT controllers support regenerative braking. There will be a jumper to connect that enables it when brake levers are pulled. Guess you bought the wrong one.
It does say it supports regeneration braking and the settings are on the KT display and not a wire on the controller

Yes 45a is to much for my battery which gives a maximum of 39amps.

On the C5 setting of the LCD you can dial power down by selecting C5 -4 could this be why it's not working? The Bms is shutting power down cause Amps are to high?

So that will be same as voilamart controller. c5 -4

Its not registering the controller with the LCD. I read a post that said to change either p20 or c20 to change the protocol . How it communicates the LCD with the controller. I will try that as well.

I will try these things tomorrow hopefully and see if I have any luck and update.

If you got any more ideas please post.

Hopefully the rain will stop

Thanks

You were using the battery for the original Voilamart kit? It was probably a 30A controller, and you were prematurely wearing out the battery if you rode around at max speeds. I did raise my eyebrows when you posted a 45A KT controller, that cost as much as it did.
Yes it does seem alot for a controller but its cause it has regeneration why it costs more and you can adjust the settings

No, I would not risk it.

It doesn't even tell you what battery cells you have, it only says 2500mah.
The spec sheet says 13S6P.
If it's actually 13S6P, then it should be 48V 15Ah. Not 13Ah.
So conflicting information right there.

If you scroll down, it says the battery will provide 30A continuous and 60A max.
Which is super high performance.. for the price, it's hard to believe.

I would like to know exactly what cells they have, and see if it's actually safe to put 60A BMS.
It currently does around 17 miles if I use it flat out on the voilamart controller.

When I get to my office i can charge it to 80% charged in 3 hours usually fully by the time i go home. But can get home on full power at 80%,

Its has worked well so far the battery as I dont need more than 13ah.

I have done around 1500 miles in a year. I would have done more miles had I not had a crash. which Broke the forks and the front wheel and broke the sw900, the controller, bell, my front lights and my ribs were sore for few weeks. Luckily a good person pulled over in a large SUV and gave me a lift home and they would not take any money for the good deed.

I read somewhere the maximum amps the battery could produce was 39ah. Sounds about right.

39amps * 48 volts 1872watts on full power. fresh off the charger.

If it was 60amps it would not get very far in miles.

Hi I have been using my old controller but I thought that the reason it's not working is because the KT controller is 45 amps and my battery bms will not give that amount of Ampd so it's cutting out. Is there any way in the settings of the KT controller to limit the 45a controller to 30a like the voilamart controller?

The C5 setting can drop the current in steps from 10% (C5=9) to 50% (C5=3) .

You have to go to the last C setting and push the center button to exit the parameter set screens, or it will revert to the previous settings.

Don't change C9 or C11. You never want a password, and you don't want to change protocol. You could change C12 to to allow the battery to run a little lower, but it's probably voltage sag in your battery shutting off the BMS.

Last edited:
The C5 setting can drop the current in steps from 10% (C5=9) to 50% (C5=3) .

You have to go to the last C setting and push the center button to exit the parameter set screens, or it will revert to the previous settings.

Don't change C9 or C11. You never want a password, and you don't want to change protocol. You could change C12 to to allow the battery to run a little lower, but it's probably voltage sag in your battery shutting off the BMS.
Thanks Harry. The controller is 18 MOSFETs. I don't understand what that means and 45 amps maximum. What specifications battery would a 18 MOSFETs controller match ? How many volts and amps should the battery be for a 18 MOSFETs controller? From Paul

PAS is one thing, the controller is programmed for a percentage of the top current in each level. I believe Ahicks knows the target numbers. With throttle, the rider is in control of the amps.

MOSFET's are like a faucet with different size feed pipes. The water pressure in the pipe is analagous to voltage. The diameter of the feeders corresponds to current. Use a small faucet to restrict current, and a big one for more current. but you can still dial down the faucet to a trickle. I other words, if one is careful, one can modulate a big controller manually, but left to the controller's brain, you might get a broad swath of power.

Hi I have been using my old controller but I thought that the reason it's not working is because the KT controller is 45 amps and my battery bms will not give that amount of Ampd so it's cutting out. Is there any way in the settings of the KT controller to limit the 45a controller to 30a like the voilamart controller?
Look at C5 in your owner's or online manual. It's generally used to make big changes in the amount of power available to your motor - which it sounds like you're trying to do.

From there, once you have that reasonably close (maybe after trying a few different settings to see what happens, which you like best?), then you can use C14 for a fine tune, to set PAS 1 power. All of us are different to some extent, but I generally set PAS 1 up so it pulls somewhere from 75-150 watts indicated. If I want more than that, I can go to PAS 2 or higher to get it.

Just keep in mind some of these settings are not cast in stone. They're adjustable to account for the difference in people's tastes and expectations.

Last edited:
Thanks Harry I upgraded the voilamart to a sabvaton. The sabvaton works really well with Regeneration and the self learn works well. I could not get the KT controller to work.

I have hooked up KT controllers to a few different brands of motors, and they always worked when I matched the colors of the three thick wires, which were bullet connectors, and the five or six small wires in the Hall connector. Other people, with more experience, think I'm just foolish to say that, but it's true. Go back to the all colors match scenario on all 8 wires. Make sure the brakes are not connected.

There is a procedure for sorting out the wires, but you need to know the controller is powering up first.

Since the LCD is a match for the KT controller, and it powers up, it should be ready.

If you had a typical volt meter, you would set the dial to the 20V DC scale, and touch the red/black probes to the red./black pins on the throttle connector. It would show about 4.5V if the controller powers up.
It makes my head hurt( more than usual) but its doable thanks for people like Harry S and my Hero Pedaluma.

It makes my head hurt( more than usual) but its doable thanks for people like Harry S and my Hero Pedaluma.
It doesn’t have to hurt. Thanks to the time generous posters like @harryS we can take on challenges beyond our experience. I’m a product of forum posters generosity. Forums and YouTube give us incredible tools.

Back