Update on Domane HP ownership

drodg

Well I have had my Domane 2021 HP for about a month now and wanted to provide some updates on ownership. I am 64 and pretty fit and a long time biker. I still mountain bike with an analog Santa Cruz mountain bike and love that part of biking. There are so many things that I enjoy about the Domane. I run the bike most of the time on Eco and my range is about 50 miles and that is plenty for me. I upgraded to the Aeolus Carbon Wheels and really like the smooth ride. I put the Iso Speed suspension on the firmest setting as the softer setting was giving me some noise in the seat post etc. I think the Bosch motor is plenty powerful and it does feel very natural to me. I was having some skating I think from my rear derailleur not really skipping a gear but after down shifting I sensed at times the bike was confused on what gear it was in. I realized the clutch was off so I put the clutch to the on position and basically the shifting is problem free. I assume most of you and this would include Specialized Creo riders keep the clutch on? I believe I have a little more clicking noise from the motor than I would expect, maybe it isn't the motor but not really that loud and I will have it checked when I am willing to give the bike up for it's first service. The bikes weight after the first ride or two feels natural to me now. Enjoy the ride and stability btw. So just want to say I love the bike and actually really used this forum to make my decision. I am posting this so more potential buyers who might have questions can throw them on here. Thanks everyone.

It would be expected over the first month the shifting to need a slight tuning as the cable settles in. Your shop can tune it but one click counter-clockwise on the derailleur cable barrel adjuster might be all that is needed. As there is no front chainring cage given it is a 1x system, you will drop the chain if you turn the clutch off, and again without something to retain the chain, you drag a lot of chain on the ground.

I took the HP in to my LBS because of the continued clicking noise seemed like coming from the chainring area and the shifting issue. The cable had stretched and they adjusted it and the noise went away. I took a quick short ride yesterday afternoon. The front chain ring is quiet now.

I have about 200 miles on mine now and have it fairly well dialed in, except there is one gear somewhere around the middle of the cassette that's a bit noisy. Not enough that I've bothered to turn the barrel adjuster, but that'll probably do it when I get around to it. About the only thing I don't really like is the Kiox (still no elevation data, really Bosche?), and I still rely on a traditional cycling GPS for data tracking on a stem cap mount. I need at least Eco assist on, or it just kind of feels "dead" to me due to the weight. Fortunately I don't feel at all compelled to ride without any assist. A positive thing about the weight is it handles fast descents like it's on rails, it's just completely rock solid to me and inspires a lot of confidence.

My LBS didn't do a great job with the cable management when they set it up, but I've cleaned that up and am perfectly happy with it all now.

Thanks for your response. Mine is very quiet now. It went out of adjustment pretty quick and I had to spend time getting the ISO speed adjusted to quiet it down also. Love the bike and it is a little dead feeling without assist I do agree but figure I ride almost 95% of the time in eco it doesn't really bother me. I know I rode in the month of April days I wouldn't have ridden on my normal road bike. Too windy etc. Enjoy!

I have about 200 miles on mine now and have it fairly well dialed in, except there is one gear somewhere around the middle of the cassette that's a bit noisy. Not enough that I've bothered to turn the barrel adjuster, but that'll probably do it when I get around to it. About the only thing I don't really like is the Kiox (still no elevation data, really Bosche?), and I still rely on a traditional cycling GPS for data tracking on a stem cap mount. I need at least Eco assist on, or it just kind of feels "dead" to me due to the weight. Fortunately I don't feel at all compelled to ride without any assist. A positive thing about the weight is it handles fast descents like it's on rails, it's just completely rock solid to me and inspires a lot of confidence.

My LBS didn't do a great job with the cable management when they set it up, but I've cleaned that up and am perfectly happy with it all now.
It does show elevation on the Kiox though, right? There is even a field in the display you can activate to show elevation.

I bought a Domane +HP on Friday, May 21st, and have been following these forums for a while. Lots of info here, thanks. Found my Domane +HP at a bike shop, 4 1/2 hours away, near Albany New York. A long drive, there and back, but they had a 58 cm Domane in stock, and built, ready to test ride.

I was torn between the Spec Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and the Domane. Finally decided on the Domane because I wanted the larger LiPo capacity, (500Wh versus 320 for Creo) better Kiox computer, frame available in incremental sizes, not just small , medium or large, and the Domane's industry standard 75Nm Bosch Performance Line Speed motor. Domane has easily removed battery too. So lock the bike at a restaurant, then carry LiPo inside to charge over lunch? Creo assist mode changes require looking down, and pushing buttons on top tube?
The friends I plan to ride with have E-bikes with 500 Wh batteries , so I needed the same larger battery.

The Creo was/is lighter, at 32 lbs, versus 36, and I looked at one at a LBS, but it was sold, so I couldn't do a test ride. I might have liked the Future Shock in stem. Comparisons, on this forum and others suggested the Creo motor is less powerful than the Domane. And I still have my "analog" road bike, 17 1/2 lb Cannondale Synapse Carbon , with all DuraAce, so I have a light bike too.

Good advice on forums was,
Get software for all three, Bosch motor, Kiox and battery upgraded before delivery,
Have LBS switch lighting off as default, which is on at all times the US. I can still switch it on as required.
Walk mode is activated on my computer. Is that the default?

Always take your shoes, pedals and bike shorts to bike shop for test ride before delivery. Glad I did this as derailleur needed some adjustment. After a few short rides, it was all dialed in, and we could head home. I probably won't be going there again, because of the distance, which is too bad. A nice bike shop, good bike tech; Jay.

Initial riding impressions; I was using ECO to climb small hills, then pedal assist off on flats and descents. Probably just try ECO on continuously, as I don't like looking down at computer to see what mode I am in. Large 35 C tires feel a bit porky, compared to the 23c tires on the Synapse. OTOH, with larger tires; don't have to worry as much about road debris. Not sure if I will put an old Brooks leather saddle on this bike. Stock seat isn't super comfortable yet. Should I play with the Iso-Speed adjustment in the seat post?
Trek E-bike.jpg

Now I can enjoy more, and longer rides here in Vermont.

Last edited:
I have the same Bosch Gen 4 motor in my Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3 and I love it. My Lefty 3 (only one front shock) is a gravel bike and weighs 39 pounds.
I've owned mine since last August and for the first 3 or 4 months I rode the bike whenever I could (flats or slight downgrades) with the motor off. I'm not sure why I did this, as I've never come even close to running out of battery power. On Eco the battery is good for at least 70-80 miles range.
Now I ride mostly in Eco mode, unless I want to get somewhere in a hurry. Then, I bump the power level up to 'Tour'.

Like you, my other bike is a light, carbon road bike (Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0), which I now mostly save for group rides.

I have the same bike though I upgraded the wheels to the carbon wheels that are on the HP7. I have a non E Trek Madone that weighs about 17 lbs with Dura Ace so very similar bikes. I have grown to like the bigger tire and I felt they were a tad porky too when I first got mine. I have had my Domane since March and really now putting the miles on and I have about 400 or so on it. I adjusted the Iso Speed a bit to mainly to get rid of the noise in the seat post. I have it at the firmest setting so totally quiet now but the ride is a tad firm but still better than my analog Trek. I run my bike almost always on Eco and I can get in the 60's as far as miles on a charge. Enjoy the bike, they are certainly nice bikes. Btw I still have tubes in my tires did you by chance go tubeless?

I have the same bike though I upgraded the wheels to the carbon wheels that are on the HP7. I have a non E Trek Madone that weighs about 17 lbs with Dura Ace so very similar bikes. I have grown to like the bigger tire and I felt they were a tad porky too when I first got mine. I have had my Domane since March and really now putting the miles on and I have about 400 or so on it. I adjusted the Iso Speed a bit to mainly to get rid of the noise in the seat post. I have it at the firmest setting so totally quiet now but the ride is a tad firm but still better than my analog Trek. I run my bike almost always on Eco and I can get in the 60's as far as miles on a charge. Enjoy the bike, they are certainly nice bikes. Btw I still have tubes in my tires did you by chance go tubeless?
No. Not tubeless yet. Need to put more rides on my bike. We have perfect weather here now for riding. Blue sky and temps in the mid 60's .
Nice bike, the Domane. We are lucky to own one with all the delivery issues bike shops are having. Here is my Synapse, with Brooks saddle (nearly broken in after 12,000 miles).

Attachments

• Synapse 2.jpg
    Synapse 2.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 288
Just did a longer ride. 26.4 miles out and back, as I want to figure out my range in the real world. At the return point, I had gone 13.2 miles, mostly climbing with a head wind. From Full charge, start of ride, 85 mile range,
at that point Kiox showed remaining range 75 miles .
Return trip, largely downhill hill in Eco mode, another 13.2 miles, at end, I had 68 miles range left.

I figured if the battery suddenly died, I would remove battery , hide it in the woods, then ride bike home sans battery, 7 lbs lighter? Return to retrieve battery later.

Last edited:
Great report. The bikes have amazing range. I rode mine last night again just loving the bike. I actually had two dogs that were wanting to come after me as I climbed a steep hill pass a farm. I put it on I think Sport and got pass them & they kind of gave up! Lol! It felt good to have somewhat of an advantage over chasing dogs. Btw what tire pressures are you or anyone running?

Did a short ride today, 14.6 miles. Half way out, I noticed dark clouds forming on my return route. So turned back early after exploring a gravel side road. With a total ride of 14.6 miles, Kiox indicates 86% of charge remaining.

Picture below, from yesterdays ride, 26.4 mile loop. I now have my small, bar end mirror mounted. Still haven't decided whether to remove side stand or not. It is pretty useful, but heavy.
Belvedere pond.jpeg

Last edited:
Did a short ride today, 14.6 miles. Half way out, I noticed dark clouds forming on my return route. So turned back early after exploring a gravel side road. With a total ride of 14.6 miles, Kiox indicates 86% of charge remaining.

Picture below, from yesterdays ride, 26.4 mile loop. I now have my small, bar end mirror mounted. Still haven't decided whether to remove side stand or not. It is pretty useful, but heavy.View attachment 88543
I had my kickstand removed. I figure the bike is heavy enough why add weight!!! Beautiful picture

What is the difference between having the "clutch" on or off , on the rear derailleur? Do you want the clutch off while removing the rear wheel?
Clutch shown here, grey lever in the on position (red arrow). There is no separate manual for the bike frame itself. In fact the only manual I have about the bike is this Bosch one, that covers the Kiox, Bosch motor and Bosch battery.
clutch 2.jpg

moving the cutch to "off" or engaging it, allows the chain to go slack and makes removing the rear wheel easier. after the wheel goes back on just reengage to tension the chain.

moving the cutch to "off" or engaging it, allows the chain to go slack and makes removing the rear wheel easier. after the wheel goes back on just reengage to tension the chain.
Ok, thanks. So it's now in the proper "On" position, as shown. I thought the shifting was a bit wonky before. Now it seems to shift more precisely. I've never had a derailleur with a lever like this before. Oh, and Drodg, kickstand is off the bike frame now.

Ok, thanks. So it's now in the proper "On" position, as shown. I thought the shifting was a bit wonky before. Now it seems to shift more precisely. I've never had a derailleur with a lever like this before. Oh, and Drodg, kickstand is off the bike frame now.
Mine was off when I got it too and the shifting was not very precise. 👍on the kickstand !

Back