ChronoTrigger80

I bought this bike because I wanted the Bafang Ultra motor built into a quality machine with above average components by skilled bike mechanics. I read good things about Biktrix and I liked their large community, good customer testimonials, and return policy and so I gave them a shot.

1.jpg

After ~100 miles, here’s what I like and don’t like about the Eagle:

• Price: Fair price. For the Bafang Ultra 1000w surrounded by good quality components, 4k is a fair price in my mind. I feel satisfied with what I received vs what I paid.
  • Build: The Eagle arrived perfectly tuned. Didn’t need to take it to a LBS to get the mechanicals tuned up, like I did for my last bike from a different company. I clamped the Eagle up onto my repair stand, screwed in the handlebar and the front wheel, and when I spun the wheels, they both spun freely and were perfectly true. No friction and no need to adjust the brake pads. The gears shifted clean and fast.
  • Packaging: Excellent. Every inch of paint was covered in foam paper. They took care to stuff all the empty space in the box with cardboard so nothing could shift around during shipping. The box had no damage from shipping when I received it.
  • Shipping: They built and shipped my order in 10 days! I had emailed them previously to ask how long and they said it would be 5 weeks. I was pleasantly surprised to receive it in only 10 days. Under promise and over deliver - that's my policy at my company too. And shipping was fast. They shipped it on a Monday and I got it Wednesday.
  • Biktrix communication/responsiveness: Superb. I asked a few follow up questions via email after my order and they always responded with a few hours and were very polite and professional. Like any good business, they use CRM software to manage customer inquiries so nothing slips through the cracks.
  • Handling: While on my first ride, I actually forgot this bike is a hardtail. With the short travel thudbuster and my big cushioned seat that also has some suspension built in, I barely felt any bumps. Granted, I haven’t done any very rough terrain yet.
  • Speed: As advertised, I got 33 mph on flat ground doing full throttle. (Pic says 29 because I got going so fast I wasn’t comfortable driving with one hand to take a pic! So I put my phone away before I hit 33.) PAS 5 on the flat ground stayed in the mid to high 20’s mph.
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Dislikes:
  • Range/battery:
    • Battery not preforming like I had hoped. But maybe I was naive in my expectations. I only got 25.9 miles on my first ride before battery died, doing PAS 4-5 on level ground on the C&O Towpath. Total elevation gain on my whole ride according to Strava was only 47 feet. I did do four 10-second bursts on the throttle to test top speed, but otherwise stayed in PAS 4-5 the whole ride. Granted, I am a heavier rider at 209, but I had hoped to get at least 32 miles out of a charge.
    • Another weird thing about the battery is, during my ride, I turned around and started back to my car when the battery hit 65%, thinking I would be conservative and leave myself enough battery to make it back. But the last 65% burned down faster than the first 35%. I ended up having to pedal it back with no power to my truck the last 1000 yards – not fun on a 62 lbs. bike. I would also see the battery percentage go down inconsistently. It would drop 5% in 60 seconds or stay on a fixed percentage for 3 minutes at a time. And if I turned the display off and on again, the battery would read a different percentage when I turned it back on. I.e., I’d turn the display off while the percentage read “54%.” Then when I turned it back on, it read “58%”.
    • And finally, the O/I (on/off) switch on the battery does not work. If the battery is inserted into the cradle, the bike has power - regardless of whether the power switch is on or off.
    • Since I need more range than 25 miles, I emailed Biktrix to ask if they would still sell me a discounted second battery that they offered during the order process. They said yes – I’m very grateful for that. So I’m now going to install a rear rack and carry the spare battery on there.
  • Minor gripes:
    • The Tri-force allen wrench they provide did not have a wrench that fit the allen screws on the stem. Even the smallest wrench did not fit. Not a big deal at all. What bike owner doesn’t have a set of allen wrenches lying around?
      5.jpg

• There was no screw included to mount the headlamp. No biggie. I rummaged around my workbench until I found a nut and bolt that fit it.

• 6.jpg

• The placard is glued on and slides around rather easily. It’s only a matter of time before it pops off. Maybe it got hot in shipping and the glue melted and lost some integrity, who knows. I like it and don’t want to lose it so I might just remove it and store it
Conclusion: I really, really like this bike. But I don’t quite love this bike. The only thing keeping me from loving it is the battery/range performance. I am happy with the purchase, my dealings with the company, and feel I received a product that is worth the price tag. The bike is a blast to ride and I’m having a lot of fun with it, I just wish the battery was a little more reliable. But I’ve now ordered a second battery to take along as a backup. I will definitely be a repeat Biktrix customer.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 478
How's the pedal assist ramp up at various levels? Is it jerky or smooth? I've read that Bafang Ultras don't have the best ramp up especially at low assist levels. Does the power engage immediately or is there a slight lag?

How's the pedal assist ramp up at various levels? Is it jerky or smooth? I've read that Bafang Ultras don't have the best ramp up especially at low assist levels. Does the power engage immediately or is there a slight lag?

Yes there is a slight jerk but not enough to destabilize me. I got used to it very quickly. I only feel it when I'm starting from a complete stop. After I'm up to 5 mph or so I don't feel it. There is a lag but it's hard to notice - maybe half a second? Overall I'm very happy with the torque sensing.

That's unusual about the battery/range concerns, this bike should have outstanding mileage.... Which battery pack did you get on it?

One thing that might negatively affect range is if you ride the motor improperly, IE running it throttle only without being in the correct gear. are you pedaling and shifting to get cadence right? It's kinda crucial to performance, range, and longevity with the Ultra motors.

With the engraved serial badge, the one I rode didn't have that yet, very cool! I think automotive-grade VHB tape is holding it on, try pressing it down in place really hard and see if that helps.

That's unusual about the battery/range concerns, this bike should have outstanding mileage.... Which battery pack did you get on it?

One thing that might negatively affect range is if you ride the motor improperly, IE running it throttle only without being in the correct gear. are you pedaling and shifting to get cadence right? It's kinda crucial to performance, range, and longevity with the Ultra motors.

With the engraved serial badge, the one I rode didn't have that yet, very cool! I think automotive-grade VHB tape is holding it on, try pressing it down in place really hard and see if that helps.
What gear is the correct gear to use the throttle?

I think that range sounds about right for L4 and 5 assist. Using the higher assist levels really sucks the power down fast. If you need more range, kicking down to say L3 will really start to stretch it out. For a more accurate reading on the battery level switch it to Voltage instead of percentage, and look up a voltage chart for your battery. Not as intuitive as percentage, but the percentage is always going to drop faster and faster as it drains, so it isn't quite accurate. I haven't gotten an exact feel for it on my Ultra 1000 yet, but my guess is 50% is really more like 1/3 left, 80% more like 2/3 left.

I can definitely see the difference in draining speed when I'm at L5 vs L1. L1 I can ride a 12 mile loop and be at 90% reading, L5 I'm at 75%.

Eco mode engages more slowly than Sport mode and should give a little more battery life. I have the 500c computer so I only have sport mode. If you get the programming cable you can tweak settings such as pedal rotation before assist engages, levels of assist, throttle response and ramping speed, etc. Highly recommend this. Just be careful and maybe don't touch the current settings and stuff to avoid blowing up your controller.

Is it not recommended to use the throttle without pedaling?

Can definitely use throttle without peddaling, but you want to make sure you're in a low gear to prevent too much strain on the motor, and you want to engage slowly so as not to slam too much tension into your chain. I put a larger chainring on my bike, so I actually programmed the throttle power down a little bit to try to protect my motor.

I appreciate this review, and it confirms to me that the that King of motors also needs the King of batteries which is a 52V 21amp/hr battery.
21 amp hours should cover anything, also did you know most battery manufactures say each amp hour generally gives you 20% more run time, think about that and the value to longer riding and not having to carry 2 batteries.

From their website

"Removable 52V
Lithium-Ion Battery
Our removable battery system offers unmatched convenience for re-charging. With the twist of a key, your battery can be brought inside and set to charge. We offer a variety of battery capacity options, each providing a different amount of range.
Choice of 52V 14Ah, 52V 17.5Ah and 52V 21.5Ah battery"

Yet it is not an options at check out, maybe because it will only go on the larger frame not sure about this, Roshan would know.

The 21.5Ah battery only fit the Large frame. The option fell off when they sold all the Large bikes.

I ordered the discounted second 14Ah battery for $349 vs the single 17.5Ah for $399. Should be miles and money ahead vs the one larger battery.
30 miles + 30 miles for $349 vs 40 miles for $399.

Last edited:
How does it compare to HPC Scout Pro?

The HPC Scout Pro is $7,000 for the basic model... the Ultra Eagle gives a lot more bang for buck.

IMG_5860_1200x.jpg
That bike is waaaaaaay over priced for what you get with mid-tier components.

I ordered a medium yesterday had a bbshd for the last year and after multiple bike part failures I wanted something that can take abuse....

Different bike/brand, and no throttle but I agree that assist levels 4 and 5 are battery hogs. I live mostly on level 3 and get great mileage, up to 50 miles or so.

That bike is waaaaaaay over priced for what you get with mid-tier components.

I agree... for the same price range, you could purchase the full carbon Wattwagon Travalache with top-shelf components and service. 😉

1596592761772.png

Im ready to break the f*ck outta this bike! Cant wait because my last motor broke my frame and this one has a lifetime warranty....Real life testing coming........this bike will actually be slower than my bbshd but Im going to be able to send it harder....Wish all the owners of the bigger than medium frames would speak up.....my plan is to ride it.....not hide it

Im ready to break the f*ck outta this bike! Cant wait because my last motor broke my frame and this one has a lifetime warranty....Real life testing coming........
this bike will actually be slower than my bbshd but Im going to be able to send it harder....Wish all the owners of the bigger than medium frames would speak up.....my plan is to ride it.....not hide it

1596600916498.png

Back