Turn Your Bike Into an Electric Bike

Thanks!

I now realize I could get some SS spokes made to fit the new hub, and lace the old rim to it. [shrug]
That may well be more than I want to bite off. 🤣

And now I already want to build another one!

My newest build with the "good stuff" from a bare frame will easily be a $2800 bike.

Do you have a build thread for this?
Pics at least?

I could see how getting into building them would be as fun as riding them. One could do some really one-off hoop-doop stuff. 👍

I wouldn't mind doing up another ROLL, but not a step thru - more of a mountain bike cruiser type of bike. I almost bought a new one at the local bike shop, but then decided to just buy a new bike. Maybe I'll go back and buy that one too. I've got some old bikes to sell first. ;)

both displays are outsourced by Bafang and there are different firmware versions for different motors, not in any way limited to mid drives. Reviewing their home page features we find many aren’t made available with full range firmware. Numbers of PAS levels are more of less useful depending more on riding style and specific application. I have 3 C961 versions. I found it frustrating but true.

Do you have more data on the mig?

I have three DP-C18.UART 's and they all report 'Bafang Ultra Drive System - Heavy Duty' on bootup. Luna offers the DP-C18 for mid-drives. Youtube videos for the DP-C18 speak to mid-drives.

Outside of Bluenergy, I haven't seen a DP-C18 paired with any other hub motor/controller combo. Do you have a link to alternate pairings? As this is a getting-your-bike-electric thread, that would be valuable info for would-be converters.

Last edited:
And now I already want to build another one!

Everyone needs more than one fishing rod. o_O

Also, count the spokes. If the Roll comes with 36 hole rims, you're golden - you could rebuild with the Bafang motor. My Mongoose rims are 32h - that meant a new rim.

It wouldn't be hard to buy the spokes/nipples in the same length plus desired finish and replace them one at a time. Just spin the wheel after each spoke change and make sure it spins true. You can twang the new spoke and see it sounds like the others, although 12G and 13G spokes sound dull to me. I like tapered spokes, which will be 14G at the rim and 13G at the wheel. About 3X more expensive than cheap 12G spokes, which is why we see 12G on most wheels. If you go tapered, you need washers at the rim side, because the 14G nipples have a much smaller hole than a 12G nipple.

I take it it's a black motor, rim, and spokes and you want silver SS? THen you should change the rim too. That is daunting. My first wheel build was too ambitious, being a fatbike. Had a little diameter variation, or whatever they call that. After I built a second wheel, 700cc, I had enough experience that I went back to the fatbike and got it reasonably true.

Then again, those of us with the white crap on the ground ain't got nothing else to do on those long winters except lace wheels.

Well, it's the rim width more than the spoke color - I'm not that fussy on this bike. Now if'n it was MY bike... LOL
I read about spoke, tapered and gauge, at ebikes.ca. Grin people are really up on this for sure. I've done a number of motorcycle wheels, not a bike. The BMW was really fussy - rim spokes were on the outside so you can run tubeless tires on spoked wheels. And they have grub screws that lock the adjust nipple once you have it where you want it.

I did notice the spokes were a little dead. That could be the finish, the tension, and/or the hub. At least it's true at the current time.

Next week I'll get the single-speed crankset and a right side 7-speed shimano shifter. That will solve the brake switch issue. BTW, if I put the magnets on the one in the meantime, how close do they have to be to the sensor to pickup braking action?

I hope this crank isn't junk...

sunlite-alloy-singlespeed-double-guard-crankset-42-tooth-black-209936-1.jpg

BMW R1200GS cross-spoke wheels - a $500 option on this bike. The odd thing are the set screws at the adjust nipple in the hub. These are $2500 wheelsets:

20190806_114837.jpg

Last edited:
o you have more data on the mig?
The what? The manufacturer doesn't publish which displays are supplied to specific OEM.
My shop owner buy displays with his name on them direct from display maker. I'm sure you can ferret out the source with some due diligence searching. I only have a dealer link and that's not for me to share. Sorry. But the information you want isn't available.

Last edited:
Do you have a build thread for this?
Pics at least?
Sorry, build threads take time and I spend to much time trying to be helpful while answering my own support emails and calls. By chance I did take a picture for a pal but without detail.

The bike on the rack is a Zizzo 300lbs capacity. I have a couple of 250W BBS01B motors I purchased from an OEM that went to 750W. It's a very nice little motor. Lightest of the Bafang BBSxx series and with a 10P3S battery reasonably light. No total weight yet, but maybe about 35lbs, fingers crossed.

The Silver frame is a Marin Hybrid frame from 2007 I believe. A MAC GD with a 18 FET IRFB4110 (60A) Infineon Sensored Controller: Fully Programmable. Tektro rim brakes and both wheels are Alex DM24. All spokes are black Sapim. Lighting is Roxim front and rear from Ebikes.ca. Seat post an NCX with a sweet Brooks B135. A CA3 display with a mounted Satiator. I don't remember the rack maker or fender source, maybe Planet? A standard Shimano bottom bracket and crank arms. Since this is strictly a flat street bike it's a one speed freewheel with a chain guide. Finishedbike tire will be Maxxis. Currently my favorite Kenda road tire. I parts in waiting include a 48V horn and 48V compressor hook up. Cruise control and throttle and Grin PAS sensor. Double V4 rear torque arms, again from grin. Updated WUXI padded (sort of) brake cutout levers and heavy duty thumb throttle. A pair of Ortlieb panniers with rain covers are in the wings.

I'm surely missing something. I used a MAC and an 18FET controller, overkill for 36V, to enable me or future owner to jump up to 60V. Originally I bought a front MAC to run a 2WD but after a trial run with 2wd on another frame it was to much bike for me. But man, talk about a climber and torque monster!. Alas I'm to old for those thrills, but had to feel it once.

Oh, and pedals in waiting are on my Bafang bike, Ergon beauties and also their grips. Cable sheathing are teflon lined, don't remember the branding. Tube are long steel stem Conti.

I know there's more...just not in my memory.

Here the garage pile of loaners and daily riders. Oh, and another 1973 Schwinn step though with a MXUS GD and Lyen controller with a CA2.4 in the wings waiting to finish. Also a Bikesdirect One speed Fat Bike with a 1000W rear DD and BB& disc brakes waiting for attention. Was to be my winter runner but I HATE fat bike geometry.

I don't do brags and seldom bother with pictures. My apologies for the low quality.

My usual beater for around town is a Trek Pure 3spd IGH with a front 1000W MXUS DD, dual torque arms V4, steel fork. NCX again, Roxim lighting and a CA3 with another Lyen CA3 ready controller. One KHS smoothie is a TSDZ2, 3 are Bafang BBSxx series. I have a YOCH and a BBSHD also in the wings. All personal builds. not any related to the shop.

Someday I'll learn something about kit building...

Attachments

• IMG_2201.JPG
    IMG_2201.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_2202.JPG
    IMG_2202.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 928
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.48.10 PM.png
    963.2 KB · Views: 923
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.51.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 12.51.17 PM.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 912
Last edited:
Sorry, build threads take time and I spend to much time trying to be helpful while answering my own support emails and calls. By chance I did take a picture for a pal but without detail.
>snip
I don't do brags and seldom bother with pictures. My apologies for the low quality.
>snip

Wha??? You're not a FB adict??? 🤣
Cool bikes, so much fun.

The kit-building thing is intriguing for sure. I can surely see doing this again.
I sure would like to do some mountain biking, and e-power would be just the ticket. It's just so dangerous for me though as I simply don't know when to slow down and be careful. :rolleyes:

I missed adding batteries, most from EM3ev. Some low quality Luna, UPP, and others.

Last edited:
Em3ev is where my next batteries are coming from. 👍
That's the british-fellow setup in China, no??

There's an amazon seller called 'joyesie' or some such, they have 'domestic cell' and 'panasonic' cell battery packs at good prices. I hope I don't have to buy one for the Giant - dayum they're spendy.

That Yamaha Torq thing has my name on it. 🤣
I gotta go look at Haibike.

Somebody here on the forum posted links to all the motorcycle companies that now have ebikes. I was shocked! Way cool stuff. Even Kawasaki! I've owned just about every brand listed - Husqvarna, KTM, Kawasaki, BMW, Yamaha. Husqvarna has an e-mountain bike for like 8000 euro - that's like nine thousand. Holy smokes!

I had mentioned up thread that I had ordered a half-twist throttle from Luna. Well, I decided to use the kit thumb-throttle instead, so I contacted them as I still didn't have my order - after 5 days they still had not shipped it. They are about 40 miles away. And the customer service girl was trying to defend their slowness on them being a 'small company'. Oh dear, that's just not an excuse these days - we're a small company too and if you order before 6pm you get it next day. I guess there's a difference between a 'service company' and a 'retailer'. I cancelled my order. :rolleyes:

Em3ev is where my next batteries are coming from. 👍
That's the british-fellow setup in China, no??
Yes, that is our battery source to.
'joyesie' or some such, they have 'domestic cell' and 'panasonic' cell battery packs at good prices.
And the warranty support? Laughable at best. I have budget batteries. They are a toss up and typically are cheap BMS, maybe authentic batteries. Are the connections nickel or plated steel? Is a replacement BMS available?A brand name means nothing if you're getting a pack of laptop batteries or B grade batteries. Then who do you call? Sorry, rant over....
'small company'
"Small company" when they need an excuse but "the biggest reseller of Bafang kits" when the bragadocious owner wants to impress. I find it odd when a DIY guy buys his major parts from one vendor and then expects exemplary service for $20 sale. Not a direct dig, just an observation that I think makes sense.

We serve everyone and answer the phones too. It took 20 minutes on the phone and in emails today to have the fellow finally say he was going to buy the part, $25, from whoever had the lowest price. So he saved $4 and Luna got the sale. But the shipping made it higher from my look. I hope they service him as well as you. OOPS....another rant....

I love this business but loyalty seems a fading concept.

While I tend to agree, having a shipping policy for in stock parts has nothing to do with loyalty. I would have bought a battery from them, or even ca ebikes, but it was part of the package so I thought I would give it a try. If I'm wanting to spend money why are they not wanting to take it?

If you bought parts elsewhere and now want to buy something from a new dealer, why would they NOT want to show exemplary service and just ship the stuff out if they have it? 5 days and not to ship something sitting on your shelf? They just lost a potential lifetime customer - so loyalty is EARNED, not deserved. I doubt I would buy a bike from them either - again, customers are earned, not assumed or deserved.

And I don't 'owe' anybody anything.

EDIT: I'm probably being unfair - they said my item was set on will call instead of ship. But they never said they had it ready. Oh well. If I have a need for product and they have it perhaps I would try to buy from them.

In another thread a member said I was the problem with retail because I bought a apple phone :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Old school hub motor meets new school integrated battery mount... ;)

The team behind the Swytch kit calls it the smallest and lightest e-bike conversion kit in the world. And they might have a pretty good stake to that claim.
The whole kit adds barely 3 kg (6.6 pounds) to an existing bicycle, but gives it all the benefits of an electric bicycle.
The kit includes all of the parts necessary and it fits nearly any bicycle, outside of odd or specialty bikes with non-standard parts or frame sizes.

Swytch kit tech specs
  • Motor: 250 W geared hub motor (40 Nm torque)
  • Top speed: 32 km/h (20 mph) in the US or 25 km/h (15.5 mph) in the EU
  • Range: 30-50 km (18-31 mi) depending on user input and battery pack size
  • Battery: 36V 5Ah (180 Wh) and 36V 7Ah (250 Wh) options
  • Charge time: 3 hours
  • Weight: 3 kg (6.6 lb)

Thanks for the Swytch update. I had read about the original on a UK forum. Had some bugs which they must have fixed. This would be ideal for most people that ride folding 20" bikes. Youtube has been bombarding me with Swytch promos, but I thought it was the original kit.

My experience with 5AH batteries and a similar size motor... you get 10-14 miles, which is not bad for a little battery.

Range too short. :rolleyes:
I have not tried a front hub-drive. They seem counterintuitive to me. [shrug]

Range too short. :rolleyes:
I have not tried a front hub-drive. They seem counterintuitive to me. [shrug]
Are front drive cages counterintuitive? ;) All but one build here are mid and read drives. But my daily beater is a simple, easy conversion of a 3spd IGH steel fork Trek Pure (the bike Electra sued Trek over, settled by Trek buying Electra!) I love the bike. Dead silent. 28MPH if I want but CA3 used to limit it to 24MPH max. Weighted front is a snow and ice beast with studded tire.

Last edited:
There's an amazon seller called 'joyesie' or some such, they have 'domestic cell' and 'panasonic' cell battery packs at good prices.

I have this 48v/13Ah Joyisi battery. After 2000 miles, it still performs like new.

My battery is packed with LG cells.

The Townie doesn't have suspension so the battery gets a lot jiggle over sidewalks, gravel, and the occasional divot in the road. I've also dropped my bike a few times and the battery didn't budge.

A while back, I did hear a rattle in the case. A screw had backed out and was loose. I reinstalled into the boss with a dab of JB Weld. Good as new...

Back