turn-key e-bikes with Bafang motor

Adora

Would you all help me list commercial-built ebikes that currently employ the Bafang 8Fun motor?

I think I will get the best bafang for the buck (lol) from a mid-drive 8fun versus BionX (IMO low powered) and Bosh ($$$).

I do not have the skills to owner build. This will be my first e-bike. I need a mountain bike that can CLIMB but I am also interested in a Cargo bike (auto replacement) with a Bafang 350 watt or higher.

So, I'll start with Court's reviews (thank you, you are so adorable!!) ...

1. Juiced Riders

2. Volton Alation

Thanks.

Thanks Ravi, I only have dial-up internet at home; the public library is where I use hi-speed for youtube and the like. But, I did look up the specs on the NTS Works Fat Free Electric Bicycle ... http://ntsworks.com/

I didn't learn what type of motor they're using (crank drive, 250-350 watts). They did not disclose if theywere installing the Bafang motor.

It appears theyhave the battery technology dialed in (rebuildable, nice!).

Nuvinci transmission.

Thanks and be well.

Thanks Ravi, I only have dial-up internet at home; the public library is where I use hi-speed for youtube and the like. But, I did look up the specs on the NTS Works Fat Free Electric Bicycle ... http://ntsworks.com/

I didn't learn what type of motor they're using (crank drive, 250-350 watts). They did not disclose if theywere installing the Bafang motor.

It appears theyhave the battery technology dialed in (rebuildable, nice!).

Nuvinci transmission.

Thanks and be well.

Can see on the video review (8Fun). but what is the battery capacity? I didn't see that anywhere. Nice tiny battery, but what range?
I must say I am HUGELY IMPRESSED that this is from the guy running Zero electric motorcycles!! They have made huge strides in a short time and are poised to be become major players in the motorcycle biz here in the US.
This is a nicely put together machine~

I have the same Samsung battery in my battery pack. It is a solid performer. a 36V 13.8AH pack gets 25 miles FULL THROTTLE NO ASSIST. Sorry to yell but I wanted to make that clear. I am disabled and often have days I cannot pedal at all. Now at 25 miles the BMS shuts the bike down. Not a recommended practice. I would expect their pack used to go at least 20 miles UNASSISTED. A good healthy user using mild assist could get 50-70 miles between charges. Even as much as 100 if using a mild assist. My 113LB wife uses level one on a 5 level setup (there can be 9). Let's call that 20%, she gets 100 miles on a smaller pack. Personally having built two and assisted in a couple more for myself, this is a good bike. I prefer a townie style crank forward so I built around a KHS Manhattan Cruiser. A $450 bike with a 36V 350W 8Fun kit and bottle battery. $1700 before adding racks and lights. Making this bike an excellent buy IMO.

If that Fat Free eBike only had a throttle in addition, I'd be all over that. I still feel that for me a combo of PAS and Throttle will be the best. But this is tempting for sure.

We just got in a Bafang mid drive fat bike called a Juggernaut by Bixtrix sweet machine. We sponsored them on a kickstarter looking to get more in any day now. Here is the link to a youtube showing it in action.

I have the same Samsung battery in my battery pack. It is a solid performer. a 36V 13.8AH pack gets 25 miles FULL THROTTLE NO ASSIST. Sorry to yell but I wanted to make that clear. I am disabled and often have days I cannot pedal at all. Now at 25 miles the BMS shuts the bike down. Not a recommended practice. I would expect their pack used to go at least 20 miles UNASSISTED. A good healthy user using mild assist could get 50-70 miles between charges. Even as much as 100 if using a mild assist. My 113LB wife uses level one on a 5 level setup (there can be 9). Let's call that 20%, she gets 100 miles on a smaller pack. Personally having built two and assisted in a couple more for myself, this is a good bike. I prefer a townie style crank forward so I built around a KHS Manhattan Cruiser. A $450 bike with a 36V 350W 8Fun kit and bottle battery. $1700 before adding racks and lights. Making this bike an excellent buy IMO.

Louis, you don't mention how long you've had the battery- if you always ride it without pedaling, then your battery is going to age faster than the wife's setup will. It doesn't take much drop in voltage on a Lithium Ion battery for the BMS to do a low voltage cut-out. Another possibility might be one or two bad cells inside the pack which would shorten the range. Get your local ebike shop to check out the battery or if you're game, spend $120 for V2 Cycle Analyst from Electricbike.com and watch what happens when you get to that 25mile point. This tool shows you exactly what the power consumption and output along with other diagnostic features.

Would you all help me list commercial-built ebikes that currently employ the Bafang 8Fun motor?

I think I will get the best bafang for the buck (lol) from a mid-drive 8fun versus BionX (IMO low powered) and Bosh ($$$).

I do not have the skills to owner build. This will be my first e-bike. I need a mountain bike that can CLIMB but I am also interested in a Cargo bike (auto replacement) with a Bafang 350 watt or higher.

So, I'll start with Court's reviews (thank you, you are so adorable!!) ...

1. Juiced Riders

2. Volton Alation

Thanks.

Energie has a mountain bike with the Bafang MD:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

We just got in a Bafang mid drive fat bike called a Juggernaut by Bixtrix sweet machine. We sponsored them on a kickstarter looking to get more in any day now. Here is the link to a youtube showing it in action.

So they had a June '15 delivery and got them out in January? If so, I'm happy the KS bikes are finally staying fairly basic, not pushing the tech.

They gave nice detail on the parts. The intro price was a steal. What's your retail $$?

So they had a June '15 delivery and got them out in January? If so, I'm happy the KS bikes are finally staying fairly basic, not pushing the tech.

They gave nice detail on the parts. The intro price was a steal. What's your retail $$?
PM me or call the shop for a quote. Court rightly does not want on posts.

Louis, you don't mention how long you've had the battery- if you always ride it without pedaling, then your battery is going to age faster than the wife's setup will. It doesn't take much drop in voltage on a Lithium Ion battery for the BMS to do a low voltage cut-out. Another possibility might be one or two bad cells inside the pack which would shorten the range. Get your local ebike shop to check out the battery or if you're game, spend $120 for V2 Cycle Analyst from Electricbike.com and watch what happens when you get to that 25mile point. This tool shows you exactly what the power consumption and output along with other diagnostic features.
I monitor the batteries constantly. I don't ride the bike to the point of the BMS shutting it down ever. I did twice to see what they were capable of before owning a meter to monitor. But thanks for your concern. The batteries and bikes are nearly identical and they are regularly rotated. I now have all the tools and am actually building my second 7s4p pack for my scooters and anticipate having the sufficient skills to repair and build any battery I own by year end. I am also my own completely equipped bike shop in the basement. I had a small bike repair business 42 years ago and have returned to the hobby after retiring from a career as a corporate director. Old hippy coming full circle. Well at least when it come to issues of sustainability <wink> I am probably more involved in the hobby than most shops who dabble in E Bikes. I've had a BBS01 in pieces and back together as well. Thanks for the warning. I imagine you get folks here who would be well served by your concern. Fear not, I'm onboard and safe. I'm a little behind as far as monitoring systems and use a wattmeter. It gives me all the info but not the logging. But it's far easier on a retired guys static pension. Again! THANKS! BTW I ride year round in Minnesnowta, currently on Nokia studded tires. Crank forward bikes make great ice riders.

Can see on the video review (8Fun). but what is the battery capacity? I didn't see that anywhere. Nice tiny battery, but what range?
I must say I am HUGELY IMPRESSED that this is from the guy running Zero electric motorcycles!! They have made huge strides in a short time and are poised to be become major players in the motorcycle biz here in the US.
This is a nicely put together machine~

From the website:

Bicycle Designs For Sale
August 20, 2014/0 Comments/in Uncategorized /by Neal

We are looking for an OEM or someone who wants to start an E-bike company to purchase the electric bicycle designs of the Fat Free and the cargo bicycles (SunCycle, LockerCycle and PickupCycle). The designs include:

• Patent Portfolio including an issued patent for steering and 4 additional patents pending
  • Solidworks CAD models and detailed drawing set
  • Completely sourced parts and components in Taiwan/China/US
  • Can be easily modified for any battery system
  • Prototype bikes included
  • Direct and wholesale pre-orders
  • The Fat Free and Cargo bike designs can be purchased separately or together
For the production Fat Free bikes, we have designed custom shaped tubes that make the frame even stronger and more responsive. Click on the picture for a sneak peek.

For all the people out there that want bikes, we are sorry for the delay! We are working on transferring the production so that the bikes can delivered late 2014 or early 2015. Thank you for your patience and support.

I'm curious about the packs that folks are saying have lost significant power after a year. Do you know which cells were used in those packs? Are the packs for 250W bikes? All 18650 batteries are not equal. The cells Bosch uses, for instance, are rather tepid. Sadly many battery resellers don't tell the whole story. Packs like those from EM3ev use high power cells from Samsung, 22P, 25R, and 29E. Surplus packs are available from Poland but are lower power, configured for those 250W motors and 12-15MPH.

I keep looking at those Headway cells. Some are reporting as much as 3 times the life of the 18650 packs. I'm not sure they're comparing apples to apples, in that there are so many different specifications within the 18650 group. They are individually expensive but the pack and cell design allows for relatively easy replacement of a dead or problem cell.
BUT I've handles one and they are BIG and HEAVY. Not a problem for me when used in a triangle pack. Good find for a thread of videos. Perhaps we should start a separate thread for sharing battery info?

Batteries are where the risk seems to be in building a bike from a kit. I'm not sure where there are reliable sources out of China, from brands other than Samsung or Panasonic. You pay for the name on the battery, the reputation of the retailer, and the warranty. That's the safe approach.

I'd like to see anyone share any information they have. These guys make a rebuildable pack, with pressure plates. I don't know if there is anything like that for the standard 18650 cells, where you just plug them in.

There are several reputable sources for battery packs, they don't have to be and are not the risk in a kit.
Allcell, Ping, and EM3ev are 3 of the score of builders that produce batteries that are safe and reliable. NTS has a great idea, however it remains to be seen if there business model and design is sustainable. It is very new. Allcell and the other two mentioned have at least 6 years of history on a very well traveled forum with hundreds maybe a thousand reviews. Allcell is also sold by the best and most reliable kit builders in the business.

Allcell is USA configured using Chinese and Japanese cells. EM3ev is an expat Brit in Hong Kong using the same cells. Ping's location escapes me but is highly regarded. The "kits" with problems are the Lipo RC batteries than can puff and catch fire. But remain hugely popular fuel to cost and high power. American kids seem to want 45mph bikes. Sadly that is where most of the horror stories and problems are. Not the cell packs using the same tech as a Tesla.

BTW I don't it's as easy as plugging them in. Last I read you exchange the battery. Making the whole process rather gentrified and expensive.

Back