Turbo Vado SL 5 chainring swap?

900ss

My wife and I ride off-road a lot, and I would like to swap the chainring on her Vado SL to a 38 tooth. I just talked to the LBS that we bought the bike from, and they don't know of any that are available. Apparently the stock Praxis ring is threaded, limiting availability. Does anyone know of a 38 or 40 tooth ring that would work, and if I find one, how many links should I remove from the chain?

... I would like to swap the chainring on her Vado SL to a 38 tooth. Apparently the stock Praxis ring is threaded, limiting availability.
The stock chainring ist a 104BCD 44T?
There are a lot of smaller 104BCD chainrings in the market. Why do you think you need a threaded one?

My wife and I ride off-road a lot, and I would like to swap the chainring on her Vado SL to a 38 tooth. I just talked to the LBS that we bought the bike from, and they don't know of any that are available. Apparently the stock Praxis ring is threaded, limiting availability. Does anyone know of a 38 or 40 tooth ring that would work, and if I find one, how many links should I remove from the chain?
So I got a Race Face 38T narrow wide from Wiggle (online retailer) here in UK for around £35 so pretty cheap. It's an alloy chainring but as it's for mountain biking it seems robust & Race face seem good. My local bike shop put it on for me for free- took him about 10 minutes while chatting to me. It's made such a difference! Means on the steep gradients around here the motor can stay in its sweet spot as I can use a faster cadence even when the gradient hits 20%. And this gives me more assist as the motor isn't struggling anymore so I get more help and so on. Hope that helps!

Sooooooo.......
it turns out my quest is for naught. I didn't realize that threaded flanges are available, so I don't need to reinvent the wheel as it were and machine my own parts. I should have known they are already available. So - I will make some anyway out of titanium 6AL 4V just because I can, and my wife is worth it!

I will order a chainring from RaceFace and have my way with it!

900ss: Perhaps nobody told you (except @TS25) you didn't need the threaded chainring. Use a regular 104 BCD 38T chainring and fasten it to the spider with regular 8 mm bolt/nuts (available in sets of 4 or 5). Do you need an Amazon link?

Or, have you already figured it out for yourself? (Your last post was not clear to me).

Hello Stefan: Thank you very much for the kind reply. I learned yesterday that bolt and nut sets are available, thank you. I always enjoy reading your posts and contributions!

Back