Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ - First Ride Comments and Questions From Newbie

Qamera

Why I went e-bike: I just turned 65. I run 15-20 miles a week and do a half marathon about once a year. Last year I did a trail half. But I figured I should start to cross-train and take some of the pounding off my knees, and also try something new! So I did the homework and pretty much knew this was the bike I'd like to have. I looked at three other bikes as well but not sure if it's PC to post those here. Anyhow, we're from Seattle and in the midst of a road trip - picked up two bikes at the EBike Store in Portland (great guys!) but didn't get a chance to take them for a spin until a quick sunrise ride in Death Valley without the app, then another spin here in Sedona using the Mission Control App.

A few comments.
  • Wow. Echoing what everyone else has said in all the reviews. Wow. Without power, it rides faster and smoother than my old hybrid bike (ok, it's 15 years old but still).
  • The fenders are super but if you have a rear hitch to carry your bikes, you might want to tie the rubber parts down to keep them from unnecessary flapping in the wind.
  • Was surprised at the hills we go tup - didn't even realize they were hills until we went back down them!
  • We took the bikes "off-road" a bit here in Sedona, and they worked fine but as others have said, not great traction and of course no suspension. We bought these for roads and some gravel, so no expectations. Just saying.
A few questions.

Power Levels?

We were a bit confused by the three power levels. As far as I can tell, each delivers the same amount of power, just possibly at lower torque levels. Is that correct? I found that Level 1 kicked in pretty quickly so that is really all I used. When I started to get tired at one steeper incline, I bumped it up to 2, then 3, but with no noticeable change in power delivered. So I downshifted and that worked fine - but again, no discernable difference between levels 1, 2, and 3.

Mission Control App?

The app. I see it has three Presets with different levels of Support. I'm not really sure I understand how it works and I'm not really a 'read the manual' kind of person but it looks like there are different torque levels for when it kicks in. Any tips?

Here's a clip of Fran on her first ride going 'offroad'

Welcome to the club. I have a non-eq 4.0SL and still love after several months. As you are not a “read the manual kind of person” here is a video that does a good job explaining the app:

I have replied @Qamera under different thread.
(Not happy when a new user creates two different threads about the same topic and then forgets in which of them he should place his reply).

I have replied @Qamera under different thread.
(Not happy when a new user creates two different threads about the same topic and then forgets in which of them he should place his reply).
Hi Stefan,

I too do not like to have to re-create multiple posts. I made this post yesterday morning but it never showed up, until just now. So I made a short, second post about a different issue - kind of as a test, really - and the post went through immediately. At that point, I decided to go ahead and re-post the main questions I had made in this post - thinking that it somehow had gotten lost in the system.

I am a UX designer by profession and this kind of lag is confusing to users - both the author (me) and other readers (you).

Hi Stefan,

I too do not like to have to re-create multiple posts. I made this post yesterday morning but it never showed up, until just now. So I made a short, second post about a different issue - kind of as a test, really - and the post went through immediately. At that point, I decided to go ahead and re-post the main questions I had made in this post - thinking that it somehow had gotten lost in the system.

I am a UX designer by profession and this kind of lag is confusing to users - both the author (me) and other readers (you).
No Biggie : Lots of people Don't like Lots of things on The forum. You need a Thick Skin : Just because your New doesn't make you subject to what bothers someone : No matter what you do Someone disagrees or doesn't like it : After all it's a forum : You know what they say is : ;) We can't all be MADE in the USA ;) JK

You got your answer anyway, Qamera. Hope that helps.
Excellent answer - clear and precise! I made a comment there as well.
Welcome to the club. I have a non-eq 4.0SL and still love after several months. As you are not a “read the manual kind of person” here is a video that does a good job explaining the app:
Thanks! Good video. It’s not clear if the three ‘tune’ settings correspond to the three levels on the bike and he does not mention the relationship between the two.

No Biggie : Lots of people Don't like Lots of things on The forum. You need a Thick Skin : Just because your New doesn't make you subject to what bothers someone : No matter what you do Someone disagrees or doesn't like it : After all it's a forum : You know what they say is : ;) We can't all be MADE in the USA ;) JK
Yup. I am very active in a number of forums including DPReview and Flyertalk. So I’m used to how they work. Just learning the UX of this forum. It seems there are sometimes delays of more than 24 hours after initiating a post, though maybe they have a setting that does this intentionally members with low post counts. I used to have my own forum set that way, as a defense against spamming.

Yup. I am very active in a number of forums including DPReview and Flyertalk. So I’m used to how they work. Just learning the UX of this forum. It seems there are sometimes delays of more than 24 hours after initiating a post, though maybe they have a setting that does this intentionally members with low post counts. I used to have my own forum set that way, as a defense against spamming.
Maybe because you are New Your Posts initially are subject to approval. Just guessing as I am Newer Myself :

Back