Turbo Vado & Como Tune - A Hidden Gem for BLOKS Display Users

Jack,

I'm taking this information from the top of my head, as I do not have the BLOKS since May 2020.
  • If you cannot rotate the BLOKS in its mount, locate a tiny screw at the mount base and remove it. Now, you can turn the display and remove it from the mount.
  • Inspect the BLOKS from the bottom. There is a tiny silver point. Depress it with the end of the smallest hex wrench you have or another narrow object.
  • The chances are the coin battery inside the unit is dead. You have to locate the battery cover at the bottom of the display and replace it. I am sure your BLOKS does not work because of the flat coin battery.
I cannot tell you anything about the battery cover or the type of the coin battery as I do not think I had ever replaced it.
Stefan,

Really appreciate your help. I've never changed that battery and the bike is 5 years old now. Amazed it lasted this long. I bet it's a common CR2032 coin cell. I'll run down to the bike shop and see if any of that works. Thanks!

Not necessarily :) And... Write to Specialized Rider Care! I am sure the warehouse has a big number of Conversion Sets for Vado 6.0 nobody will buy!
Well, LBS said I was out of luck. But, when I got home I was able to plug the BLOKS display into a wall outlet and it powered on just fine. Then I mounted it in the Vado cradle, with power from the wall and it appeared to be communicating with the bike. So then I lifted the rear wheel and ran the crank with my hand which indicated the motor was assisting! Needless to say, now I have a USB powerbank mounted to the bike and powering the BLOKS head unit. Rode to work, lunch, and back home today - no issues! Think I should still write to Specialized rider care about a conversion kit? Probably wouldn't hurt. I was *this* close to buying a Tero X 6.0 this weekend.

Think I should still write to Specialized rider care about a conversion kit? Probably wouldn't hurt.
Yes you should. Remind them there had been a programme to upgrade all Vado BLOKS users to TCD-W, and many users got the conversion as the post-warranty service. Also mention, you are ready to cover the labour. They might politely turn down your request or show Specialized is the company that really cares. It won't hurt for sure! If you succeed, your Vado would become a 2020 model, and you'd be delighted with the performance and freedom of Mission Control!
I was *this* close to buying a Tero X 6.0 this weekend.
If you need yet another powerful but heavy Turbo e-bike that's fine. After I got my Vado 6.0 upgraded to TCD-w, I chose a Vado SL as my another Specialized e-bike for a completely different riding experience! :)

Yes you should. Remind them there had been a programme to upgrade all Vado BLOKS users to TCD-W, and many users got the conversion as the post-warranty service. Also mention, you are ready to cover the labour. They might politely turn down your request or show Specialized is the company that really cares. It won't hurt for sure! If you succeed, your Vado would become a 2020 model, and you'd be delighted with the performance and freedom of Mission Control!

If you need yet another powerful but heavy Turbo e-bike that's fine. After I got my Vado 6.0 upgraded to TCD-w, I chose a Vado SL as my another Specialized e-bike for a completely different riding experience! :)
Email sent 👍

Well, here's where my personal experience ended up. Full disclosure: I'm the 2nd owner as I purchased it from the first owner. The first owner worked on the marketing team for this bike and that team was partially compensated in, you guessed it - BIKES! They all got one. Well, the bike wasn't a great fit for this guy and he put it up for sale. I bought it with just a few hundred miles thinking it would last for years! I did not do the research I should have to determine these first models had lots of problems with little in the way of support or solutions. The good news is that once I got it home from the bike shop, I fixed it and have been riding it every day since! How did I fix it? I duct taped a USB power bank to the frame to power the BLOKS display unit 😝. It sure does make a $5,000 "Engineered in Switzerland" bike look like trash, but it works great! It's a bad look for Specialized, but I get it - they don't owe me anything: I'm not the original owner and the bike is a 2018 [it's now 2023]. The frustrating part is of all the Hard Rock and Stump Jumpers I've bought since 1990 - this is the only Specialized I bought used. Of course I never had to look into a warranty claim until this one. I'm just glad it's working as I was *this close* to buying a new Tero X 6.0.

Attachments

• PXL_20230602_153400500.jpg
    PXL_20230602_153400500.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 96
Jack,
Thank you for explaining the matters! Just think how lucky a person I am: Due to the active warranty, Specialized has actually funded me almost a new Specialized Vado 6.0 with my sole input of US$1,000 for the new motor! Not that my Vado looks perfect, no! :D

1685992944062.png

I wanted to increase the Reach on my Vado 6.0, so eventually I took a brave decision to replace the stem with a far longer one. However, the original Specialized stem had an integrated mount for the TCD-w(speed). I had to relocate the TCD-w to a Garmin mount. As the base of the display was already broken, I just fastened the display with a strong tape :D Now, the display only serves as the dongle for the Vado 6.0, and I use a Wahoo as the universal e-bike display (the TCD-w system allows that).

Now, fancy what would have happened if I had no lifetime frame warranty: I already own as many as three batteries for this ebike. Should I throw $3,000 worth in the recycle bin?

I'm so glad Jack you can ride your Vado! It is an excellent e-bike even with the BLOKS!

Back