Turbo Vado & Como Tune - A Hidden Gem for BLOKS Display Users

Specialized try to cut the corners. The specifications of my 2017 Vado 5.0 are equivalent to the 2020 Vado 6.0 (available in Europe) or even better in some respect.
That's great. I haven't really checked the specs on the 2020 Vado 6.0. But I did check out the specs on the 2020 5.0. The only difference from 2019 is the chainring 48T mine is 40 and the Display. The motor and battery are the same. So, you have 1.3 Brose and 604wht battery in your bike too?

There are several key differences between the 2017 (Europe) and 2020 Vado 5.0 (U.S).

1. The 2017 motor is Specialized 1.2s, the 2020 is the 1.3. The battery is 604 Wh in both cases

2. The 2017 has the top-notch TRP Zurich brakes, 180 mm, 4-piston. The 2020 has Shimano Deore XT T8000, 180 mm front, 160 mm rear.

3. The drive-train is identical in the 2017 and the 2020 models. 48t chain-ring. The 2017 shifter has no optical gear indicator, the 2020 model has the indicator.

4. The 2017 model has a 600 lm headlight, fancy tail-light with 5 LEDs integral with the back of the pannier and the STOP light (when you press any brake lever), lit registration plate mount, and a horn. The 2020 model has a 205 lm headlamp, 3 LED tail-light at the fender, and a bell.

5. The 2017 model has a rigid fork but also Electrak 2.0, 2" tyres. The 2020 model has the Suntour suspension fork but 1.85" Trigger tyres. The thicker tyres in the 2017 model compensate for the lack of the suspension fork.

6. 2017: Colour TFT BLOKS display; 2019: B&W LCD BLOKS display; 2020: B&W TCD-W display.

7. Crankarms. The 2017 model has Praxis Works crankarms, not sure what the 2020 model has got.

8. Pedals. The 2017 model has the VP-836 pedals, not sure what "Specialized Commuter pedals" means for the 2020.
So many differences...

There are several key differences between the 2017 (Europe) and 2020 Vado 5.0 (U.S).

1. The 2017 motor is Specialized 1.2s, the 2020 is the 1.3. The battery is 604 Wh in both cases

2. The 2017 has the top-notch TRP Zurich brakes, 180 mm, 4-piston. The 2020 has Shimano Deore XT T8000, 180 mm front, 160 mm rear.

3. The drive-train is identical in the 2017 and the 2020 models. 48t chain-ring. The 2017 shifter has no optical gear indicator, the 2020 model has the indicator.

4. The 2017 model has a 600 lm headlight, fancy tail-light with 5 LEDs integral with the back of the pannier and the STOP light (when you press any brake lever), lit registration plate mount, and a horn. The 2020 model has a 205 lm headlamp, 3 LED tail-light at the fender, and a bell.

5. The 2017 model has a rigid fork but also Electrak 2.0, 2" tyres. The 2020 model has the Suntour suspension fork but 1.85" Trigger tyres. The thicker tyres in the 2017 model compensate for the lack of the suspension fork.

6. 2017: Colour TFT BLOKS display; 2019: B&W LCD BLOKS display; 2020: B&W TCD-W display.

7. Crankarms. The 2017 model has Praxis Works crankarms, not sure what the 2020 model has got.

8. Pedals. The 2017 model has the VP-836 pedals, not sure what "Specialized Commuter pedals" means for the 2020.
So many differences...
Good info. I'm going to the bike shop tomorrow and try to clarify some things. I initially purchased Turbo Vado 3.0 2020. But I didn't like that there was an issue getting the battery in after removing it. I also had some mirrors and puncture tubes and linings put in the tires. So, when they allowed me to upgrade the sales lady told me they would just put my wheels on the other bike because they were the same. Not quite. I checked the specs just now with both bikes. The front and rear hubs have DT Swiss industry spokes and double alloy sleeved rims on the 2019 Vado 5.0 and the the other bike has stainless 14g spokes and pinned instead of sleeved. Not sure what it means but what I'm sure of is there not the same. Also, she gave me a 2.0A charger that took forever to charge the bike. I later found out that the charger that goes with the bike is 4.0A. Now the battery charges in 4hrs vs 7 hours.

This charger story is really depressing.

Regarding the battery, many Vado users experience problems with re-inserting the battery. Let me give you a tip how to do it:

Support your Vado against the wall or whatever so it is standing upright. When re-inserting the battery, make delicate movements with the bottom part in the battery nest. Try to align the battery in parallel with the bike frame. The battery must not be skewed:

1582875592014.png

It that was done properly, the top part of the battery leaves a very small gap, so small that it is even hard to see it in this picture. Trust me, the gap is there but I could not take a more convincing photo:

1582875748004.png

When the battery is well aligned, you just give the top part a slap. The battery clicks in place. Check with your hand if it is really secured.

I had problems with re-inserting the battery until I found the right trick to do it easily.

This charger story is really depressing.

Regarding the battery, many Vado users experience problems with re-inserting the battery. Let me give you a tip how to do it:

Support your Vado against the wall or whatever so it is standing upright. When re-inserting the battery, make delicate movements with the bottom part in the battery nest. Try to align the battery in parallel with the bike frame. The battery must not be skewed:

View attachment 46577

It that was done properly, the top part of the battery leaves a very small gap, so small that it is even hard to see it in this picture. Trust me, the gap is there but I could not take a more convincing photo:

View attachment 46578

When the battery is well aligned, you just give the top part a slap. The battery clicks in place. Check with your hand if it is really secured.

I had problems with re-inserting the battery until I found the right trick to do it easily.
Thankfully, I don't have the battery issue removing and locking in place on this bike. How many spokes on your rear and front wheels?

I'm glad to hear it @Quinncy! Let me give some tips since I've understood the assistance levels better now.

Your motor is the 1.2 with 320% max pedalling assistance and 520 W max motor power. The power delivered by the motor is:
Motor Power = Your Legs Input Power * 3.2 (amplification factor) * Assist level (e.g. 0.5 for 50% assist)

If you have set the Assist level to 50%, the motor power will be = your leg input * 3.2 * 0.5 at 100% of Max Motor Current. So if you input 100 W yourself, you will get 100 * 3.2 * 0.5 = 160 W of motor assistance. If you, however, pedal hard and deliver 200 W of leg power, the motor will assist you with the doubled power of 320 W.

Now, if you put a ceiling on the Max Motor Current to be at 50%, the motor will never give you more than 520 W * 0.5 = 260 W, no matter how hard you're pedalling.

Benefits of reduced Max Motor Current:
  • Greatly improved battery range, especially on city rides with frequent stops and starts (junctions)
  • More work-out for the rider (this is a con on work commutes but pro for fitness)
Cons of reduced Max Motor Current:
  • Poorer acceleration (starting from junction signals, overtaking)
  • Reduced climbing capability of the bike
The weak point of the Vado/Como Tune app is it only allows setting the Max Motor Current globally for all Travel modes (Assist levels). In case you can have your smartphone on the handlebar mount, it is possible to manipulate the Max Motor Current (and Travel modes) online during the ride. (I have never been doing so because the smartphone was distracting my attention from the road).

Hope that helps! Please set one of the Travel modes, e.g., the Sport Mode to 50% and then play with the Max Motor Current. It could give you some interesting outcome.

sport mode has been changed to 'trail' last update. mistake? who knows? my como 5.0 is not hitting the trails anytime soon.
save some battery and make your own tune. personally i programmed mine to max 90% in turbo. i seldom use turbo except to maybe get around something faster or quick acceleration from start. i doubt anyone would notice the difference from 100%. the other 2 modes set somewhere between 20 and 75%. play with it. these bikes have more power than necessary for most riders. i use eco most of the time if not just riding without assist.

It must be some mistake. Only Levo and Kenevo have that mode marked as TRAIL while other Turbo e-bikes use "Sport".
it magically changed back to sport... specialized must have done something somehow after i reported it thru MC app. because there was no app update thru Gplay yet a week later when changing tune it was sport again

Bonjour svp pouvez vous m'aider ou je peux trouver un display pour Vado 5.0
Merci

Hello, I am a new member and I greet everyone Since the other day I am the owner of a used Vado 6.0 EU model 2019, which shows 3,500 km on the odometer. I still own a TURBO X CE (45km / h) that will go on sale, but it can serve me as an experience Now, considering that I bought a used bicycle, apart from the visual condition, it is important that I also confirm the stated mileage. This model is equipped with TFT BLOKS I tried to make a control with this APP. The condition in the APP also shows 3,500km and the battery health is 95%. Specialized says it guarantees 70% battery health after 300 charge cycles, which corresponds to these above numbers. I calculate one cycle of about 70km (experience with TURBO X). Now what I want to ask;
- BLOKS is currently set to German, and when I switch it to English do those settings remain until the moment I turn it off after which it returns to German again?
- The reset of the kilometers traveled also when I make it goes to 0, but after re-ignition it returns as if no reset was made? The odometer neatly records kilometers until this trip records kilometers?
- Furthermore, the number of kilometers traveled is 5% compared to GPS tracking. this i think is a minor problem since i can change the wheel circumference in the APP which is currently set to 2,100? What exactly volume do I need to fit 700x51 tires? 2,268?
-BLOKS doesn't show me the number of charge cycles, is that normal? Is there a hard reset option TFT BLOKS?
Do you have any suggestion or should I go to an authorized dealer? Otherwise the bike is well preserved and all the original parts are on it.
BTW how many kilometers do you cover with one charge with the help of 40% on flat terrain? How many miles do you change tires?
THX
sorry in my english

- BLOKS is currently set to German, and when I switch it to English do those settings remain until the moment I turn it off after which it returns to German again?
BLOKS is language-independent. No worries, Igor.
- The reset of the kilometers traveled also when I make it goes to 0, but after re-ignition it returns as if no reset was made? The odometer neatly records kilometers until this trip records kilometers?
BLOKS has many issues...

- Furthermore, the number of kilometers traveled is 5% compared to GPS tracking. this i think is a minor problem since i can change the wheel circumference in the APP which is currently set to 2,100? What exactly volume do I need to fit 700x51 tires? 2,268?
I'm afraid you cannot change the tyre circumference in the system. Only the Specialized dealer can. Don't worry. 5% is not a tragedy.

-BLOKS doesn't show me the number of charge cycles, is that normal? Is there a hard reset option TFT BLOKS?
It doesn't. Sorry.

Do you have any suggestion or should I go to an authorized dealer? Otherwise the bike is well preserved and all the original parts are on it.
Igor, Specialized have a programme to replace the BLOKS with the new TCD-W display. I paid nothing on that: my Vado was handled under the warranty. I strongly recommend you ask the Specialized dealer for the conversion from BLOKS to TCD-W. Even if you would have to pay for that, the conversion is worth any money! The dealer would not only replace the display but also the lights (including the terrific Supernova M99 Pro and even the rack will be replaced!) Please do whatever you can to replace the BLOKS with TCD-W. Then the world is yours! :)
BTW how many kilometers do you cover with one charge with the help of 40% on flat terrain? How many miles do you change tires?
I can tell you that with 35% assistance you could cover at least 80 km on your 604 Wh battery in the Summer. It is about 55 km for 50% assistance and some 40 km in 100% Turbo.

The Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres are very much durable. No sign of wear after 5000 km. Excellent tyres indeed.

Where are you from, Igor?

BLOKS is language-independent. No worries, Igor.

BLOKS has many issues...

I'm afraid you cannot change the tyre circumference in the system. Only the Specialized dealer can. Don't worry. 5% is not a tragedy.
I think I can change the APP options from this post, try it and let you know.

It doesn't. Sorry.

Igor, Specialized have a programme to replace the BLOKS with the new TCD-W display. I paid nothing on that: my Vado was handled under the warranty. I strongly recommend you ask the Specialized dealer for the conversion from BLOKS to TCD-W. Even if you would have to pay for that, the conversion is worth any money! The dealer would not only replace the display but also the lights (including the terrific Supernova M99 Pro and even the rack will be replaced!) Please do whatever you can to replace the BLOKS with TCD-W. Then the world is yours! :)
I have no proof of invoice, the bike was bought second hand. Extremely good price € 1,000

I can tell you that with 35% assistance you could cover at least 80 km on your 604 Wh battery in the Summer. It is about 55 km for 50% assistance and some 40 km in 100% Turbo .
It's OK
verified_user

volume_up
content_copy

The Electrak 2.0 Armadillo tyres are very much durable. No sign of wear after 5000 km. Excellent tyres indeed.

Where are you from, Igor?
Bosnia & Herzegovina

Back