Turbo Vado 4 Click / Creak from left side crank area

soram

Hi All,
I have my Vado just over a year now and 4,300km. I had to change both rear wheel bearings last a few weeks ago as the wheel was rattling around. Then the lower headset bearing was a bit rough so changed too. Note I only commute city on paved roads and cycle paths.

Last week the BB area started to make stained (creaks) noises - especially the left side when pressing hard on the pedal. It is like a bolt is loose and there is movement but I can't feel any. It was worse this morning so I dropped it down to Specialized for a look but just wondering if anybody has had a similar noise and knows what it might be? Really I suppose it can only be a bearing or a mounting bolt but would be interested to know and also if anybody has any literature about how to replace bearings etc around the BB / drive or what it all looks like inside? I do most of my own maintenance but didn't want to interfere with the drive just yet as the bike is only 13 months old.

Cheers
Stephen

I’ve had problems like this on several bikes and it can be really, really hard to figure out. My last one was actually the suspension post (sounded like bottom bracket).

Can be loose BB, pedals, cranks, crank bolts, seat post, etc., etc...

Did the shop straighten it out?

I’ve had problems like this on several bikes and it can be really, really hard to figure out. My last one was actually the suspension post (sounded like bottom bracket).

Can be loose BB, pedals, cranks, crank bolts, seat post, etc., etc...

Did the shop straighten it out?
It’s a Specialized centre and they are generally excellent. The guy said he took the drive cover off and retorqued everything but didn’t see any issues. There was also some chain noise he said was due to a bent derailleur hanger. Anyway it’s all great and silent again so I’m happy out!

Hi All,
I have my Vado just over a year now and 4,300km. I had to change both rear wheel bearings last a few weeks ago as the wheel was rattling around. Then the lower headset bearing was a bit rough so changed too. Note I only commute city on paved roads and cycle paths.

Last week the BB area started to make stained (creaks) noises - especially the left side when pressing hard on the pedal. It is like a bolt is loose and there is movement but I can't feel any. It was worse this morning so I dropped it down to Specialized for a look but just wondering if anybody has had a similar noise and knows what it might be? Really I suppose it can only be a bearing or a mounting bolt but would be interested to know and also if anybody has any literature about how to replace bearings etc around the BB / drive or what it all looks like inside? I do most of my own maintenance but didn't want to interfere with the drive just yet as the bike is only 13 months old.

Cheers
Stephen
Hello everybody,

I experience exactly the same with my Vado 4.0. Cracks and ticks from the left side while pedaling with some force. Tried to losen the left cranck, removed it and put it back on to the specified tork: no result. Suspected the left pedal, removed it, changed it with an other pedal: no result. So.... it must be a motor bearing. I did quite some miles, about 10.000+ . Anyone suggestions how to fix this, how to change a motor bearing . (I saw the video on how to overhaul the motor and it doesnot seam to be a DIY job) :-(

Hello everybody,

I experience exactly the same with my Vado 4.0. Cracks and ticks from the left side while pedaling with some force. Tried to losen the left cranck, removed it and put it back on to the specified tork: no result. Suspected the left pedal, removed it, changed it with an other pedal: no result. So.... it must be a motor bearing. I did quite some miles, about 10.000+ . Anyone suggestions how to fix this, how to change a motor bearing . (I saw the video on how to overhaul the motor and it doesnot seam to be a DIY job) :-(

I brought mine to the Specialized shop - he stripped down the crank area he said but found nothing - but when I got it back the creak was gone so I can only think it was a mounting bolt that had become slightly loose and then got properly tightened when reassembled! I don't exactly know what 'stripped down' meant but I don;t think it was major work so maybe just remove the motor cover and tighten any bolts you can see!

I've mentioned this in other threads here, butI have a similar problem with a definite sharp "click" noise -- not a creak at all -- that seems to be from the left side. The weird thing is that when I stop pedaling, I will get one more click after the pedals stop before the clicking stops. When I start pedaling again the noise is gone for a couple minutes, but then starts up again, sometimes as a soft click, other times quite loud.

My LBS did the same thing with stripping it down and reassembling it, and they thought they'd fixed it. But when I got it back and went up a couple hills with some force on the pedals, it returned, although is hasn't been as frequent as it was before. So the LBS decided to kick it up to Specialized and there is a new motor/gearbox assembly on its way to the store. This is a new bike so covered under warranty.

By the way, the observation about "one more click" after stopping pedaling indicates that it's not a crank arm related problem. If you'll notice by looking down when you stop pedaling, the pedals stop but the crank gear makes an additional half to 3/4 rotation! So that indicates that it is something internal to the gearbox and not due to the pedaling mechanism.

I've mentioned this in other threads here, butI have a similar problem with a definite sharp "click" noise -- not a creak at all -- that seems to be from the left side. The weird thing is that when I stop pedaling, I will get one more click after the pedals stop before the clicking stops. When I start pedaling again the noise is gone for a couple minutes, but then starts up again, sometimes as a soft click, other times quite loud.

My LBS did the same thing with stripping it down and reassembling it, and they thought they'd fixed it. But when I got it back and went up a couple hills with some force on the pedals, it returned, although is hasn't been as frequent as it was before. So the LBS decided to kick it up to Specialized and there is a new motor/gearbox assembly on its way to the store. This is a new bike so covered under warranty.

By the way, the observation about "one more click" after stopping pedaling indicates that it's not a crank arm related problem. If you'll notice by looking down when you stop pedaling, the pedals stop but the crank gear makes an additional half to 3/4 rotation! So that indicates that it is something internal to the gearbox and not due to the pedaling mechanism.
Seems like an other kind of problem to me.

Thanks for your hopefull reply. Going to try that!
This afternoon I removed the lower motor cover and tried if there was any play, but the motor was tight to the frame. Anyway, I torqued the three mounting bolts and put the cover back on and went fot a testride. And Yeah! I am so happy to NOT hear any clicks or ticks or whatever anymore! This was the cause of it all. I thank so much for your post! 🙂

A Vado rider on a FB Vado/Como group had the creak. His LBS inspected and found a frame fracture. Specialized gave him a new bike.

Also, why was my 2020 Vado 4.0 Dove Grey made 10/12/2018 (via frame S/N sticker)? Seems odd.

Did you get the clicking resolved by having the motor replaced. I’m interested as my Vado 4 is making a clicking sound when pressing hard on the pedals. Like you my LBS has investigated and a new motor has been ordered. Thanks.

Was having the same type of issue lately. Based on this and other forums I found 2 slightly loose motor mount nuts. I tightened slightly and all cracking and popping has stopped. Does anyone know the proper torque requirements for the motor mounting bolts?

Back