Turbo Vado 4.0 vs 5.0 chainring query.

Ok, here's the issue. I live in an area with many hills. So for me, climbing is more of an issue than speed. The Vado 4.0 has a 40t front chainring vs the 5.0 which has a 48t front chainring. Both the 4.0 and the 5.0 have a max low rear cassette of 42t. So based on the math, the 4.0 will be the better hill climber(40t x 42t) vs (48t x 42t). However, the 5.0 is rated at 90 NM vs the 4.0 at 75 NM. Will the difference in NM be significant enough to make the 5.0 almost equal or even better in hill climbing ability than the lower gear ratio of the 4.0? Thanks.

I’ve looked into this before. Look at the Vado/Como users section and go to page 70 I believe. Essentially as far as I can tell they are basically equal as far as hill climbing ability. I have a Vado 5.0 ordered because there were other items it came with that I liked. One thing was the better XT brakes. As you know after we go up the hills we also have to come down.

Ok, here's the issue. I live in an area with many hills. So for me, climbing is more of an issue than speed. The Vado 4.0 has a 40t front chainring vs the 5.0 which has a 48t front chainring. Both the 4.0 and the 5.0 have a max low rear cassette of 42t. So based on the math, the 4.0 will be the better hill climber(40t x 42t) vs (48t x 42t). However, the 5.0 is rated at 90 NM vs the 4.0 at 75 NM. Will the difference in NM be significant enough to make the 5.0 almost equal or even better in hill climbing ability than the lower gear ratio of the 4.0? Thanks.
I ride a Vado 5 in a very hilly area. I haven't found a hill it won't climb. I chose it over the V4 for the larger battery and upgraded brakes and drive train components. I appreciate the larger battery the most though I find myself borrowing my wife's as a backup for extended rides.

I’ve looked into this before. Look at the Vado/Como users section and go to page 70 I believe. Essentially as far as I can tell they are basically equal as far as hill climbing ability. I have a Vado 5.0 ordered because there were other items it came with that I liked. One thing was the better XT brakes. As you know after we go up the hills we also have to come down.

Thanks for the reference....I checked it out and it answered all my questions. They almost seem even when it comes to climbing hills, so I'll stick with the 4.0 I was going to get it the other day, but they didn't have my size, so I ordered the 2021. Should be here late September...can't wait, the test ride was a dream.

Thanks for the reference....I checked it out and it answered all my questions. They almost seem even when it comes to climbing hills, so I'll stick with the 4.0 I was going to get it the other day, but they didn't have my size, so I ordered the 2021. Should be here late September...can't wait, the test ride was a dream.

The 5.0 is worth every penny over the 4.0 for what it's worth. The drivetrain, brakes, and larger battery area awesome. Pair that with a more powerful motor and it's hard to beat. What size are you looking for?

That's not to throw the 4.0 under the bus, but if you're even considering the 5.0 don't hold back and go for it.

Back