Turbo (2013) Saddle

Marko

My saddle broke so that the front attachment to the carbon rail cracked. I have no idea how or when it happened. Possibly lifting the bike from the the saddle front or turning it upside down to replace a tire.
Any recommendations for a replacement saddle? I did not see the same ones being sold anywhere (Specialized Body Geometry Targa Pro, carbon rails, 155mm). Btw, the front attachment seems pretty flimsy.

Have you tried asking the store you bought the bike from whether this is something that would be covered under warranty? I believe there is a one year warranty on parts and Specialized might ship a replacement saddle to them.

I asked the dealer about the warranty possibility. He says saddles are not covered and compared it to tires. Apparently he had previously unsuccessfully tried to get them replaced for a client from Specialized under warranty. I must say I am not completely satisfied with this answer and don't think this even is a warranty issue.
The Finnish law concerning purchase of consumer goods stipulates that products should last at least as long as it is reasonable to assume for such a product to last. That is, even if a TV, for example, is given a one year warranty and it breaks one week after the warranty is over, the buyer should be compensated because TVs can be expected to last longer than one year (and one week). I expect a bicycle saddle to last longer than half a year in normal use. I am pondering whether it is worth the trouble to challenge Specialized on this matter. EDIT: After discussing the issue with the dealer I decided I will see this through and try to get Specialized's opinion on this at first.

Anyways, the saddle doesn't seem to be publicly available and the dealer said he cannot see it as being available in his data base either. But even if it was I dont know if I wanted to get the same one because I doubt that it will last much longer and it will probably be something like 100-200€ if I have to pay it myself. Or perhaps some epoxy glue could hold it together.

Last edited:
I agree, contact Specialized directly also and see what they have to say about this. This is after all an expensive bike and I would expect them to have a more accommodating response. Good luck.

This is how it broke. I can still ride the bike as it is not detached from the back part of the rail.

Attachments

• unnamed - Copy.jpg
    unnamed - Copy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 453
  • unnamed (1) - Copy.jpg
    unnamed (1) - Copy.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Update: I just received information that Specialized agrees to replace the saddle under warranty.

At least you got some use out of it before it broke. The ass hatchet that came on my bike was so uncomfortable I had to replace it almost immediately.

I pretty sure they will send me a new hatchet, just like the one I have now. Granted, not the most comfortable model I've sat on.

SADDLE
2014: Body Geometry Turbo, hollow Cr-Mo rails

2013: Specialized Body Geometry Targa Pro, carbon rails, 155mm

So, it seems that at least the rails have changed from carbon to metal. I dont know if "Targa Pro" is otherwise different from "Turbo".

I received a replacement seat (Body Geometry Turbo, hollow Cr-Mo rails), which is not what I had (see above). The rails in my ex seat were carbon and they are much wider than the Cr-Mo rails in the current model. Fearing that the rails will not tighten to my current attachment the dealer agreed to swap the seat to another (a mountain bike seat) with wider carbon rails. This one fits perfectly and is also much lighter than the one they sent. Would have been pretty pricey too, at 160€ (about 200$).

Here's a couple of shaky shots of my new seat. My original carbon railed Turbo seat was light weight but this one is really light.

Attachments

• Seat.jpg
    Seat.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 451
  • Seat_side.jpg
    Seat_side.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 458
Here's a couple of shaky shots of my new seat. My original carbon railed Turbo seat was light weight but this one is really light.

A seat like that needs padded bike shorts.. good geometry.. have you seen the ones with the turned down nose?

I admit I am not a bike seat expert, so to me you could sell almost any ass hatchet and ask 2OO for it. But I did not think this one was uncomfortable, at least during my relatively short commute. I might think differently on a longer journey.

Back