Trip to Swans Island

Brambor

On a quick whim we decided to take advantage of the alignment of our days off and headed out to Downeast Maine's Swans Island for the weekend.

We headed out very early Saturday morning to make the 9AM ferry from Bass Harbor. After 3+ hours of driving we arrived at the ferry 30 minutes ahead of the schedule. Round trip for 2 adults, 2 bikes (Turbo,Stromer), parking = approximately $80

14737186573_d2220cb244_b.jpg

14530873257_369585d55e_b.jpg

14530662478_362816acf1_b.jpg

After arrival we biked 4 miles to a place where we would spend the night, dropped extra stuff and headed out to explore the southern part of the island, a local yard sale spot and namely a local quarry that is now used as a local swimming hole.

14714130541_094c377baa_b.jpg

Blueberries were already ripe, we picked some blueberries, some raspberries, I had to dip in.

Afterwards we covered the remainder of the paved road, turned back and headed to explore the island's lighthouse and visit a local knitting shop.

14717018492_c3de9ecd85_b.jpg

14717314205_814c9002cf_b.jpg

Soon after we found the island's only mini market where we bought some water, a few staples and headed out to a close by beach called The Carrying Place - named after a narrow spot on the islands where Native Americans carried their canoes across this land bridge to avoid paddling all the way around the island to the other side.

14530657698_f919949c2b_b.jpg

I cooked lunch, we caught more sunshine and then went to explore a nice church architecture and headed towards northern part of the island to finish covering entire paved road infrastructure. Along the way we visited a local library which provided a nice screened porch with free wifi.

14530663039_5869dc2646_b.jpg

Sunday morning we woke up bright and early to catch the first boat out of the island.

All in all we covered 24 miles on Swans Island. The roads were not busy and the local drivers were very courteous. I would say that an ebike is ideal for this community as the paved roads are not flat, they go up and down all the time, steeply at some times. Gasoline is expensive and a regular bike could be taxing on the hills. A person could most likely spend entire day on a single charge on this island as they go about their business. As one forum member said ... pennies turn into dollars. :)

14530632560_3d8f971b32_b.jpg

Last edited:
The Bag is by Revelate but unfortunately the battery doesn't fit (by a hair) :-(

I carry my second battery in my backpack on trip like this. I usually bike in Eco, knowing that I can deplete the battery if I needed the extra speed or more juice for an uphill. It's a nice feeling after doing 40 miles somewhere that you can just swap the battery and run the last few miles on Turbo and laughing it off :)

I would try to get a full frame bag to contain the battery but honestly there might be some mini banging happening of the battery against the frame.

The battery would fit in the under the saddle bag however. I carried it like that a couple of times. But a backpack kind of works better for me.

I use Ortleib panniers, 1 extra battery in each bag, covers the motor for even more stealth , I know this a repeat post but thought it maybe helpful

Mark

I carry my second battery in my backpack on trip like this.

How about carrying the bigger capacity charger and charging on breaks. Although that only works if not in the "woods". And dont know if cafes and such will let you use their sockets for ebike battery charging.

Something like this would be sweet: http://electricbikereport.com/hi-po...olar-charger-harnessing-the-power-of-the-sun/

However, I understood that the Turbo charger is not just a regular dumb charger but it somehow communicates via the four smaller pins with the bike before starting to give power (the two larger pins). And building a RoPD compliant solar converter that the Turbo would need is apparently not so straight forward.

https://www.electricbike.com/ropdenergybus-charging-port-standard/

Last edited:
Yes on alternate occasions I have carried the charger with me. I have charged my battery without issues at Starbucks and similar sit down spots where outlets are accessible to computer users.

How about carrying the bigger capacity charger and charging on breaks. Although that only works if not in the "woods". And dont know if cafes and such will let you use their sockets for ebike battery charging.

Something like this would be sweet: http://electricbikereport.com/hi-po...olar-charger-harnessing-the-power-of-the-sun/

However, I understood that the Turbo charger is not just a regular dumb charger but it somehow communicates via the four smaller pins with the bike before starting to give power (the two larger pins). And building a RoPD compliant solar converter that the Turbo would need is apparently not so straight forward.

I can see the appeal (and need) for having a 2nd battery on hand and ready to go.

What a fab spontaneous trip you took, Brambor, and your pictures really capture your adventure too!

Back