Trip Odometer Resets Each Time

Enargins

On the RadCity, the meter's trip odometer resets each time it's powered down. And it powers down automatically after like 15 minutes of inactivity. This is very frustrating. If you stop to rest or grab a bite to eat, you lose your trip distance! Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix? I know the meter has a Settings mode. But I don't see a setting to change this. I read somewhere that someone who had a Specialized ebike fixed the problem with a firmware upgrade of his meter's firmware. Does anyone know about that for the meter with the RadCity? Thanks!

That has always been the default settings on my two 2016 Radrovers and Radcity step-thru. I even had the old programming on the rovers that was set to mph cutoff at different PAS levels instead of watts per PAS now and it still had the same setting.

One of my Radrovers the mph, trip computer data, and odometer stopped work (20 mph PAS motor cut-off still works) I ended up added a wired speedo to front tire just track my mph, odo, and trip data, Enkeeo wired bike computer, Amazon, $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NVNXGS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might have to find an wired or wireless aux speedo track that data on a display or by bluetooth on your phone. Another free app I use is Endomondo. It uses my phone gps to track my trip data, it pauses at stops, stores the data for later review, and you can use it for bike, jogging, walking, training plans, etc... I stopped using it because it just ran the battery down pretty fast on my iphone because of the gps communications.

Thanks. I actually have a bike computer on my old bike. So can easily transfer it to the RadCity. Just seems like such a stupid, ridiculous thing to have to do. I mean, who thought this was a good idea -- to lose your trip odometer count every time you stop for 15 minutes?? Absolutely crazy. Just really annoys me that I have to add another device to my handlebars just to have the trip distance, instead of them just having an on/off option for that feature in the one that comes with the bike. Sorry for griping.

Also, the meter user's guide that came with the bike shows an option in settings to turn that off. But the options in the actual meter I have don't line up with the options in the manual. Go figure.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

That has always been the default settings on my two 2016 Radrovers and Radcity step-thru. I even had the old programming on the rovers that was set to mph cutoff at different PAS levels instead of watts per PAS now and it still had the same setting.

One of my Radrovers the mph, trip computer data, and odometer stopped work (20 mph PAS motor cut-off still works) I ended up added a wired speedo to front tire just track my mph, odo, and trip data, Enkeeo wired bike computer, Amazon, $15: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NVNXGS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might have to find an wired or wireless aux speedo track that data on a display or by bluetooth on your phone. Another free app I use is Endomondo. It uses my phone gps to track my trip data, it pauses at stops, stores the data for later review, and you can use it for bike, jogging, walking, training plans, etc... I stopped using it because it just ran the battery down pretty fast on my iphone because of the gps communications.

Common problem. Hopefully it failed while in warranty? RPB sent me a new wheel.
Al SChlafli

Thanks. I actually have a bike computer on my old bike. So can easily transfer it to the RadCity. Just seems like such a stupid, ridiculous thing to have to do. I mean, who thought this was a good idea -- to lose your trip odometer count every time you stop for 15 minutes?? Absolutely crazy. Just really annoys me that I have to add another device to my handlebars just to have the trip distance, instead of them just having an on/off option for that feature in the one that comes with the bike. Sorry for griping.

Also, the meter user's guide that came with the bike shows an option in settings to turn that off. But the options in the actual meter I have don't line up with the options in the manual. Go figure.

I recently switched from RPB to Biktrix. The DPC-18 LCD screen that matched up to there motors has data that you can reset via a key combination. - Nice!
Al Schlafli

I didn't care for that auto reset "feature" either, and saw that mention of a way to avoid restarting the clock every time you turned the power off as well. Have you tried calling them out on it?

I went a different route and scrapped their entire system for another, because of that issue and several others.

I think changing how the trip odometer gets reset is explained in the LCD Display Manual that should have been included with your bike. I have a 2018 RadRover and it's a completely separate manual from the Owner's Manual. I didn't pay much attention to that option since I'm fine with it resetting after each power down. I couldn't find a digital copy of the manual on Rad's site, but if you don't have a copy I can check that info for you when I get home later this evening and post it for you.

Common problem. Hopefully it failed while in warranty? RPB sent me a new wheel.
Al SChlafli

It happened about +6 months out of warranty. Rad was very helpful and sent me parts to test out and return if it was a LCD, controller, or wiring harness issue. Ended up being the whatever sensor in the rear hub motor. No trip/odo/mph data; but, the PAS 20 mph cut off, throttle, and PAS levels still worked. It was just easier to add $15 wired odo compared to purchasing a $350 rear hub motor w/ rim.

I didn't care for that auto reset "feature" either, and saw that mention of a way to avoid restarting the clock every time you turned the power off as well. Have you tried calling them out on it?

I sent them an e-mail. They'll get it Tuesday, after the holiday. See what they say.

Interesting thing is that the manual for the meter they sent with the bike seems to indicate it has an option to turn that off. But the actual meter options didn't line up with the options stated in the manual they sent, so couldn't do it. Told them about that, as well, in the e-mail.

I went a different route and scrapped their entire system for another, because of that issue and several others.

Didn't realize you can do that. What, you just remove the meter from the handlebar and install a different one, and set some settings on it?

I think changing how the trip odometer gets reset is explained in the LCD Display Manual that should have been included with your bike. I have a 2018 RadRover and it's a completely separate manual from the Owner's Manual. I didn't pay much attention to that option since I'm fine with it resetting after each power down. I couldn't find a digital copy of the manual on Rad's site, but if you don't have a copy I can check that info for you when I get home later this evening and post it for you.

Thanks, appreciate it. I do have a copy of the manual they sent. And, yes, the manual states a "TC" setting for "Trip Clear," which can be set to Y or N. Only problem: the ACTUAL settings on the meter don't agree with the settings stated in the manual!

According to the manual, there are four settings that can be changed: 1) Trip Clearing; 2) Backlight Brightness; 3) Wheel Size; 4) Speed Limit.

However, in the actual meter that I have, the four settings are: 1) Wheel Size; 2) Maximum Speed; 3) Backlight Brightness; 4) KPH or MPH.

So the "TC" option isn't available in the meter I have.

No, I went with a complete aftermarket e-bike kit, that replaces pretty much the entire electrical on the bike - including the rear motor. The only thing I used over again was the battery.

Still interested in what they tell you about that reset option though. If you know your bikes range in miles, and you stop for a break, unless you make a mental note you've lost your reference.

And yes, I'll admit my cure for the issue was rather extreme, but the reset thing was just one of a list of things I wasn't happy with.

Last edited:
And yes, I'll admit my cure for the issue was rather extreme, but the reset thing was just one of a list of things I wasn't happy with.

Indeed! Adding a 3rd party odometer to the bike might've been a simpler solution. ;-)

Would be good if, even if you can't change the setting, you can delay the auto-off to, say, 1 hr, then that would be fine too. But that doesn't appear to be available either.

You could also use one of the smart phone apps, like strava or map my ride. Course, there are pitfalls there too, smart phones are pretty expensive, and you have to remember to start the app. etc etc etc.

Yeah, I have a smartphone app, called "Jog Tracker." Works pretty well. Use it when I go walking. Problem is, I always forget to stop it when I'm done! LOL But, yeah, that would work. Bit of a pain, tho.

If I can't get this odo to change how it works, then I think I'll just take the 3rd party bike computer off my old bike and use that. Hate to use up handlebar real estate like that. But I think that would be the simplest solution. Works pretty well.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I used handlebar extenders for my rovers and radcity. I added additional lights and cell phone holder because the handlebars were getting crowded. The BM works didn't work for my radcity because of the slightly updated LCD screen and the extender has a fixed spacing for the bar. The Odier is much nicer and you can adjusts way more to fit any old/new rad power bike.

On my Radcity, Amazon, $16: ODIER Bike Handlebar Extender 22cm 10cm Long Extension Mount for 31.8mm Handlebars 2 Clamps with Anti-Slip Pads

On my Radrover, Amazon, $23, BM WORKS Speed Extender

Radrover with BM Works (you can see my Aux wired speedo next to the PAS/mode switch):
radrover 1.jpeg

radrover 2.jpeg

Radcity Step-Thru with Odier:
radcity 1.jpeg

radcity 2.jpeg

Here's the response I just got from Rad Power Bikes:

Apologies for the confusion, the odometer and timeout duration settings are not something that can be changed in the King-Meter display that our ebikes come equipped with. We do not have the ability to make changes to firmware or programming like this.

The display does however store the remaining tenths of a mile before powering off, so to get a full trip distance on any ride to the nearest mile, you can check the original mileage, and subtract that from the final mileage. Anything more accurate than that, a GPS or cellphone app would be more accurate in logging distances. I know that many of our customers use a variety of different apps for logging their rides.

There is an unofficial group of Rad Power Bikes owners that are very active on Facebook, which you can check out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/radpowerowners/. Again, they are unaffiliated, but many times they are able to give anecdotal advice about products that we are otherwise unable to test and officially recommend.

I track my rides with Strava on my phone. Took a while to get into the habit (started with trad bike before the Radcity) but it's working fairly well. They even have a category for e-bike ride, though the calories they say I've used are quite optimistic.

Back