Trek verve+ 2, Giant Quick-E or Vado 3.0?

swgeek

Hi folks!
I have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks to decide what bike to buy. This has been a great source of information and entertainment, some very cool people on there. However, I am still undecided so would love some input and thoughts to help make up my mind.

I have sort of narrowed it down to three options but am open to a limited set of others.

Background: I get a discount through three stores through work through the end of the month, + also get a little subsidy from work, so would prefer to go with something from those stores.
The three stores cover the big 3 (Trek, Giant, Vado) so have a good selection.

My needs:

Price range: prefer to stay under 3K (USD) but can go to 4K if there is a compelling argument.

Usage: mostly commuting to work: 10 miles each way. About half of it is paved, though bumpy, and half is dirt. Mostly flat. Actually there is also about a mile of gravel in the middle.

Style: I would prefer a more upright riding position. I have ridden a borrowed trek fx3 over the last few months (and prefer more upright than that for sure), but before that had not ridden a bike in two decades.

Power: I don't need high speed or a huge power assist: have done the ride on a regular bike and was able to, just don't want to do it 10 times a week unassisted. Would like a little boost, but not planning on too much as exercise is a big goal.

Power (again): I prefer a class 1 as the entire commute is via trail, though if I get a class 3 I suspect there would not be a problem as long as I stay < 20mph (which I plan to).

Choices and reasoning:

Trek Verve+ 2: $2500 before discounts etc.
- On paper this is the obvious choice. Upright yet "serious" enough for 10 mile commute twice a day, great price, everything I need.
- I test rode it and liked it, but did not love it for two reasons: the shifters felt cheap compared to the (non electric) fx3 I am riding now, + heard some rattling while doing the test ride. Could be the chain guard, could be the fenders. That gave it a cheap feel.
- I would still have bought it, but made the mistake of trying out the vado 5.0 - a LOT more expensive so obviously feels much better and the trek felt cheap after that.

Giant Quick-E+ (3150 before discounts). I have not actually tried this yet as the dealer is a bit further away, but on paper seems to hit the sweet spot for quality and parts. Better quality parts (on paper) than the trek.

Specialized Vado 3.0 (3450 before discounts). I have not tried the 3.0, just the 5.0. Loved the 5.0 and think they are pretty similar, but of course would try it first. Slightly more than the Giant and seems to have similar quality parts.

honorable mentions:
- Also thought about the Giant Explore or La Free, but on paper QuickE seems like a nicer quality bike.
- The Como seems a bit too casual a style, seems more for exploring a city than commuting, and also does not include fender/lights/rack, and most importantly I just liked riding the vado a bit more if getting a Specialized.

I am (slightly) leaning towards the trek for three reasons:

- class 1, so I never have to worry inside parks or on trails

- reliability + distance from LBS. Trek has a good support reputation. Specialized too, but I keep reading about problems with the Vado. The Giant dealer is 30 miles vs 10 (not a deal killer if I choose the Giant, but if all else is equal...). Also, it seems easier to get parts (e.g. battery, spare charger) for Trek than Giant.

- price! E-bikes seem to be improving year by year + my tastes may change once I have one, so it may be prudent to get the cheaper option and replace it in two years.

Thoughts? Rebuttals to any of my points? Angry rants at my cluelessness?

Thanks!

All of them are good bikes and you can't go wrong, best thing to do is to ride them and select the bike that you are most comfortable with.

One thing to consider (without overthinking it). The 2019 Verve's motor is 40nm with max 250% assist and max cadence 100 rpm, while Giant 2019 is 80nm with max 350% assist and max cadence 110 rpm. Not sure about the Specialized, but I believe it falls inbetween. On paper that sounds like a big difference, but in reality it probably isn't. Test rides would probably tell you all you need to know.

I was really interested in the Verve when I was shopping, but the lbs was not very Ebike friendly and didn't seem to want my business. I ended up getting an Explore from another lbs and it has worked out great. Specialized wasn't on my list because it was out of my price range.

I would want a throttle. Spoiled maybe, but that would be on my "must have" list. Nothing will get you moving from a stop quicker. Obviously important when crossing a busy road/intersection for instance.

I would want a throttle. Spoiled maybe, but that would be on my "must have" list. Nothing will get you moving from a stop quicker. Obviously important when crossing a busy road/intersection for instance.
I think I remember reading recently in another thread that an owner uses the walk assist on the La Free as a throttle starting from a stop, and claims it works well?

Very happy with my Verve after 1,300 miles this year. I test rode a giant quick-e and it is definitely more powerful than the Verve and also more expensive. I like the upright position of the Verve better than the Quick-E. I rarely use the Verve on the highest power setting. It stays in tour mode 90% of the time. It's plenty fast enough for me. I was fortunate to find the Verve for about $2k and have a good shop for support. I ran the battery on the quick-e dry after a short test ride using the higher power settings. Both are good bikes. I changed the handlebars and added a suspension seat post because the ride is rather stiff. The stock seat post was crap.

Attachments

• verve.jpg
    verve.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 600
I think I remember reading recently in another thread that an owner uses the walk assist on the La Free as a throttle starting from a stop, and claims it works well?

Using the walk assist as a "start-up assist" is a fantastic idea which I am adding to the must have features for my next ebike. Of course, this would be something that I would expect to control within the software, for example to move the cut off speed to say 4 to 6 mph.

If you think about it for a minute, you may come to appreciate that a significant reason for wanting a Class 2 is to have assistance getting off a dead stop. This could do it and expand the utility of Class 1 and 3.

Hope Specialized and Trek are listening.

My commute is almost all trail so I don't think that is a big deal for me, but who knows once I actually get one.

Very happy with my Verve after 1,300 miles this year. ... like the upright position of the Verve better than the Quick-E. ...I changed the handlebars and added a suspension seat post because the ride is rather stiff. The stock seat post was crap.

That is great info, thank you!
The 2020 verve comes with a suspension seatpost, but no idea if it is decent or not.
Leaning more towards the verve now.

That is great info, thank you!
The 2020 verve comes with a suspension seatpost, but no idea if it is decent or not.
Leaning more towards the verve now.

My wife and I recently got his and hers Trek Verve plus. Dealer had a couple of 2019 models left over that we got for 2K each. We absolutely love them and were pleasantly surprised at the ability to climb fairly steep hills with the Bosch active line motor. I rarely need more boost than Eco and can go at least 60 miles before the battery needs charging. Many times on a paved flat surface I get up to speed and then completely turn the PAS off and have no trouble maintaining speed, and also at a weight of only 44 pounds that is a huge benefit when lifting on to a bike rack or in the back of our van. Took a night ride a couple of days ago and the headlight is incredibly bright. Both of our bikes did come with the suspension seat post which makes a huge difference. Best wishes on your decision !

My wife and I recently bought 2020 Vado 4s and are very happy. When I was looking, I tried the Verve+ and Trek Super Commuter 8+, but loved the Vado from the first ride. We wanted ebikes mostly to get up the big hills around us (we are also in the Bay Area), but the ride with no assist was important too. The Vado felt best to us with no assist and the most natural when climbing with assist. I’m a big guy (6’ 1”/225) and the Vado has plenty of power to help me get up the biggest hills.

My wife and I recently bought 2020 Vado 4s and are very happy. When I was looking, I tried the Verve+ and Trek Super Commuter 8+, but loved the Vado from the first ride.

Thanks. Were there any other reasons for choosing the Vado over the Treks or was it just felt good/natural (which is the most important thing)?

The Verve just didn’t have enough power for the hills. The Super Commuter had enough power, but felt like it was dragging when riding without assistance. New Super Commuter was also an extra $1500.

Back