TREK TELLS DEALERS TO REMOVE ALL SUPER COMMUTER BIKES FROM FLOOR!!!

GuruUno

Today, June 25th, 2019, I was at a 'to remain undisclosed' local Trek dealer and was shown the internal memo to all Trek dealers issued today, to no longer sell any 2016, 2017 and 2018 Trek Super Commuter e-bikes.
I have no knowledge as to why or for what reason, but I felt it of great importance that this be shared with fellow Trek Super Commuter owners as well as potential future buyers.
I'm very interested in finding out why, obviously it must be a safety issue.

Today, June 25th, 2019, I was at a 'to remain undisclosed' local Trek dealer and was shown the internal memo to all Trek dealers issued today, to no longer sell any 2016, 2017 and 2018 Trek Super Commuter e-bikes.
I have no knowledge as to why or for what reason, but I felt it of great importance that this be shared with fellow Trek Super Commuter owners as well as potential future buyers.
I'm very interested in finding out why, obviously it must be a safety issue.

Wow that’s strange. All Super Commuters? 2019?

Interesting follow up, I just checked Trek’s home website and ALL sizes of the Super Commuter show “sold out “.

I anonymously contacted another local Trek Store, they said it's some bolt that comes loose on the front fender.
Understandably being precautious, but huh?

As of today I have 22,903 miles on my 2017 Super Commuter. The bike has a "dongle" installed since day 1 derestricting the speed limit.
I have replaced both wheels, chains, a new rear cassette, rear tire, (still have original front) brake pads and one new rotor.
Absolutely no motor problems!
Bike is awesome!!
I also have an XM 700 with about 10,000 miles with only wear and tear issues.
I also just checked out Treks website and the bike is available.

That's fantastic!! 22k miles and how many chains, cassettes, tires, pads, one time, or X?

That's fantastic!! 22k miles and how many chains, cassettes, tires, pads, one time, or X?
I have used 3 chains, changed my front chainring to a 22 and replaced the rear cassette with an 11 x 46. I burn through front brake pads in about 4000 miles and always change the rear at the same time.
I am sorry you are having so much trouble, my motor is not silent but it always runs strong and I ride 5 days a week 60 to 80 miles each ride.
Everything I have replaced on the bike I consider normal wear and tear for the amount of miles I put on.

I ride fast, sometimes 30mph plus, the front chainring is equivalent to a 55 tooth on a conventional bike which gives me a bigger gear and with the 46 in the rear I can still get up the 16% short climb I do a few times a week.

As of today I have 22,903 miles on my 2017 Super Commuter. The bike has a "dongle" installed since day 1 derestricting the speed limit.
I have replaced both wheels, chains, a new rear cassette, rear tire, (still have original front) brake pads and one new rotor.
Bike is awesome!!

Almost 23,000 miles on your SC... that's amazing!

On long multi-battery rides, do you swap out your batteries when they quit or at a certain remaining battery level? Have you noticed any degradation in the batteries?

Almost 23,000 miles on your SC... that's amazing!

On long multi-battery rides, do you swap out your batteries when they quit or at a certain remaining battery level? Have you noticed any degradation in the batteries?
Usually the first leg of the ride will be about 30-35 miles which I just make on the first battery, I change it and make it home on #2 or switch out to #3 if needed.
I generally don't run them to empty, although I have a few times without problems. The range will indicate 0 before the battery dies. I have noticed some slight degradation, I need to charge them all up after each ride, I don't follow best practices to extend the battery life. I have three chargers and just plug them all in at once.
This was today's ride, a one and a half battery day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2482973520

I have used 3 chains, changed my front chainring to a 22 and replaced the rear cassette with an 11 x 46. I burn through front brake pads in about 4000 miles and always change the rear at the same time.
I am sorry you are having so much trouble, my motor is not silent but it always runs strong and I ride 5 days a week 60 to 80 miles each ride.
Everything I have replaced on the bike I consider normal wear and tear for the amount of miles I put on.

Only 3 chains? I believe you are using kmc 11 speed ebike chain right ?

What kind of conditions are you riding, mostly dry or wet ?

I believe you are mostly riding on roads or paved paths right ?

I would also love to hear what chain lube you are using and the intervals you are cleaning/relubing your chain.

I hope you enjoy your ride for many more miles.

I anonymously contacted another local Trek Store, they said it's some bolt that comes loose on the front fender.
Understandably being precautious, but huh?

Maybe b/c of that bolt, the fender came loose downhill and caused a much bigger issue. It starts with little things like that... Trek is a professional company, but they could also do a recall for the SC’s ?

Only 3 chains? I believe you are using kmc 11 speed ebike chain right ?

What kind of conditions are you riding, mostly dry or wet ?

I believe you are mostly riding on roads or paved paths right ?

I would also love to hear what chain lube you are using and the intervals you are cleaning/relubing your chain.

I hope you enjoy your ride for many more miles.
I am in Southern California where I can ride almost the entire year, I don't ride in the rain.
The roads are mostly clean and dry and I'm riding in the street and some well maintained bike paths.
I use Pro Link chain lube and usually lube my chain every couple of weeks or about 500 miles and the chain is whatever my LBS puts on.

Just called trek home office they wouldn't say what the problem was. But then called local trek store and the problem is the bolt for the front fender should be 25 mm that's the big fix

Bike is awesome!!
You truly are a Super Commuter!

I am in Southern California where I can ride almost the entire year, I don't ride in the rain.
The roads are mostly clean and dry and I'm riding in the street and some well maintained bike paths.
I use Pro Link chain lube and usually lube my chain every couple of weeks or about 500 miles and the chain is whatever my LBS puts on.

Makes sense, I was riding under very similar conditions (and using prolink, cleaning the chain less than 500 miles though) and didn't have any wear on the chain around 1200-1300miles until I moved , rode in wet 2-3 times switched to rnr extreme and chain was over 0.5 in 50 miles.

Do you use a chain cleaner/degreaser or just wipe and relube?

My conclusion so far is these light lubes can not preserve the chain coating and protect against wet/salt. Once chain coating between rollers is damaged it stretches very fast.

Back