Trek Super Commuter + 8s

Hello Forum Members!

This is my first post, glad to have found you all -- I've been researching e-bikes and reading forum posts and reviews and am starting to narrow in on the Trek Super Commuter + 8s --

My LBS in Maine brought one in for me and I will be going for a test ride tomorrow. Here's my quick story and situation: Road cyclist from coast of Maine who has moved to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. This is going from riding along paved small rolling hills roads along the Maine coast to New Hampshire paved mountain roads and large, and very large hills, as well as hard packed dirt roads, bumpy farm roads and rail trails and this can all be on one ride in northern New Hampshire! I've gotten older (59) and am now dealing with some spinal arthritis and cervical spine arthritis. I can't keep up anymore, and found myself last year avoiding many of our club rides due to hills and length of ride. Also, I would spend the day after the ride in body recovery mode. So, a friend from Nova Scotia with similar arthritic issues has enthusiastically recommended an e-bike.

Here's my thoughts, I'm very curious for your input:

1. I will not be using this for commuting. I am retired from Corporate America, manage our 3 Airbnb properties and need my car when I need to go to clean/prep/meet guests.

2. I will be using this for club rides (up to 45 miles long) and some possible light touring, such as the bike trails around New England, maybe Quebec but I don't know if they allow e-bikes on the trail (have not researched that yet).

3. I think I would be better off with nubbier tires -- the SC tires look really too smooth for me when I think of some of the non-paved roads that I might go on (by the way - that my Specialized Expert Diverge handled really well). What would you recommend?

4. I did try the Trek Powerfly (I believe that's the name) and I thought it was too much mountain bike for me -- but given what I said above about possible gravel grinding, what do you think? I wonder if I am trying to turn the SC into a gravel grinder and that's not possible or a good idea.

5. Also, because our club loves doing rides that often start 1-2 hours away from where we all live, I will need a rack for my car. I currently have a roof rack, and I'll need something that comes off the back of my car -- which is a Volvo XC 70. What bike rack do you recommend?

5. I certainly need a lock, or locks -- I get that I should keep this bike in sight at all times but I know there will be times (lunch) where I may not be able to. What do you recommend?

6. If you are wondering why I didn't consider a Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 -- to be candid, most of the reviews on here, which I appreciate, were discouraging. My NH LBS stocks Specialized, but have just ordered the e-bikes for the first time, and I am concerned, although they are really nice people, that they don't have the experience to deal with any issues. The LBS in Portland, ME and Trek dealer, has a certified Bosch technician on staff and has more experience with the e-bikes and while 90 minutes from where I currently live, I do feel more confident that they can handle any issues I may have.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to any and all advice and info you may have!

Cheers,

Barbara

My two cents. I am 67 and in improving helath thanks to my ebike. My bike is a Cube Touring Exc with Bosch CX drive and a Shimano 11 speed Diore XT. I live in a hilly town in Washington state (and know the White Mountains well having spent time growing up around Bridgton Maine. Last week I test drove a Trek Super Commuter + 8sas I am intersted in getting a Bosch Performance speed capable of 28mph. I did a ride on my bike last week that was 37 miles with 14% battery remaining at the end of the ride. At the rate it was dropping at the end I would have been surprised to see it go beyond 40 miles before running out of juice. I suspect the spped version will give you less than 30 miles. I did that ride mostly in touring mode, the second lowest assist level.

Range: the CX will go a lot further than the speed version
steep hills: The CX does way better on steep grades with about 20% greater torque.

IFrom what you describe, you will be much happier on a bike with the Bosch CX drive for getting around in the mountains.

For range you can either get an extra battery and carry it with you in your trunk bag or get a bike that is fitted

At the price you are considering you should go look at either the Riese & Muller super Charger with double batteries or the Delight if you want to get full suspension.

You're a road cyclist, comfortable on you Specialized Divenge. Have you ridden extensively with straight bars? Give the Super Commuter a good long test ride and see how you feel. If you feel like you really need drops, I would look at the Bulls Dail-E Grinder.

I'm new to e-bikes also having recently purchased a Bulls Lacuba which is a speed pedelec like the Trek Super Commuter+ 8s. I test rode the Trek but ultimately decided on the Bulls because of cost and larger battery (it's primary use is commuting). The Trek is a really nice bike, they put a lot of thought into it and probably charge extra because you have access to their extensive service centers.

I've noticed that when I go above 20 mph that my battery drains much faster and I wouldn't have a hope of getting in 40 miles of undulating terrain like there is in your region. Perhaps you should consider the Trek Crossrip which is a gravel bike that should have a better range due to being a lighter bike.

With regard to locks, I have the Abus Bordo Granit X and it's well worth the money. It's much easier to lock up the bike with this than a u-lock. If you're just looking for a cafe lock then ottolock is effective when the bike is in viewing distance.

Let us know what you ultimately decide on.

@WhiteMountainsNH

I am in the same boat I used to ride the MS150 with a road bike and moved to C. Conway and now the mountains and years have me seeking an e-bike for this area.

@Alaskan
moved from Bridgton to C. Conway small world it is

Hello Forum Members!

This is my first post, glad to have found you all -- I've been researching e-bikes and reading forum posts and reviews and am starting to narrow in on the Trek Super Commuter + 8s --

My LBS in Maine brought one in for me and I will be going for a test ride tomorrow. Here's my quick story and situation: Road cyclist from coast of Maine who has moved to the White Mountains of New Hampshire. This is going from riding along paved small rolling hills roads along the Maine coast to New Hampshire paved mountain roads and large, and very large hills, as well as hard packed dirt roads, bumpy farm roads and rail trails and this can all be on one ride in northern New Hampshire! I've gotten older (59) and am now dealing with some spinal arthritis and cervical spine arthritis. I can't keep up anymore, and found myself last year avoiding many of our club rides due to hills and length of ride. Also, I would spend the day after the ride in body recovery mode. So, a friend from Nova Scotia with similar arthritic issues has enthusiastically recommended an e-bike.

Here's my thoughts, I'm very curious for your input:

1. I will not be using this for commuting. I am retired from Corporate America, manage our 3 Airbnb properties and need my car when I need to go to clean/prep/meet guests.

2. I will be using this for club rides (up to 45 miles long) and some possible light touring, such as the bike trails around New England, maybe Quebec but I don't know if they allow e-bikes on the trail (have not researched that yet).

3. I think I would be better off with nubbier tires -- the SC tires look really too smooth for me when I think of some of the non-paved roads that I might go on (by the way - that my Specialized Expert Diverge handled really well). What would you recommend?

4. I did try the Trek Powerfly (I believe that's the name) and I thought it was too much mountain bike for me -- but given what I said above about possible gravel grinding, what do you think? I wonder if I am trying to turn the SC into a gravel grinder and that's not possible or a good idea.

5. Also, because our club loves doing rides that often start 1-2 hours away from where we all live, I will need a rack for my car. I currently have a roof rack, and I'll need something that comes off the back of my car -- which is a Volvo XC 70. What bike rack do you recommend?

5. I certainly need a lock, or locks -- I get that I should keep this bike in sight at all times but I know there will be times (lunch) where I may not be able to. What do you recommend?

6. If you are wondering why I didn't consider a Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 -- to be candid, most of the reviews on here, which I appreciate, were discouraging. My NH LBS stocks Specialized, but have just ordered the e-bikes for the first time, and I am concerned, although they are really nice people that they don't have the experience to deal with any issues. The LBS in Portland, ME and Trek dealer, has a certified Bosch technician on staff and has more experience with the e-bikes and while 90 minutes from where I currently live, I do feel more confident that they can handle any issues I may have.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to any and all advice and info you may have!

Cheers,

Barbara

My 2 cents on bike racks-1 up USA Rack made in America and made of aluminum with virtually no plastic parts and very lightweight.
Thule Easy Fold Bike Rack-This rack has a optional ramp that allows you to load/unload bikes with ease. However, a bit pricey.
Good Luck!

You're a road cyclist, comfortable on you Specialized Divenge. Have you ridden extensively with straight bars? Give the Super Commuter a good long test ride and see how you feel. If you feel like you really need drops, I would look at the Bulls Dail-E Grinder.
No, I haven't used straight bars very much BUT with the neck problems I am having, it's the direction I need to go in -- a bike that is more comfortable and I'm not craning my neck to see the road. I'll be giving it that long test drive tomorrow (although truth be told it is currently snowing in NH and ME!!) When will it ever end...thanks for your input!

I'm new to e-bikes also having recently purchased a Bulls Lacuba which is a speed pedelec like the Trek Super Commuter+ 8s. I test rode the Trek but ultimately decided on the Bulls because of cost and larger battery (it's primary use is commuting). The Trek is a really nice bike, they put a lot of thought into it and probably charge extra because you have access to their extensive service centers.

I've noticed that when I go above 20 mph that my battery drains much faster and I wouldn't have a hope of getting in 40 miles of undulating terrain like there is in your region. Perhaps you should consider the Trek Crossrip which is a gravel bike that should have a better range due to being a lighter bike.

With regard to locks, I have the Abus Bordo Granit X and it's well worth the money. It's much easier to lock up the bike with this than a u-lock. If you're just looking for a cafe lock then ottolock is effective when the bike is in viewing distance.

Let us know what you ultimately decide on.
I'll definitely let you know what I choose...hope to do that test ride tomorrow. thanks for the info on the locks. I think the Crossrip has drop handles and I want to move away from those due to neck issues. Besides, I have to admit -- I LOVE me a red bike. Cheers and thanks!

My two cents. I am 67 and in improving helath thanks to my ebike. My bike is a Cube Touring Exc with Bosch CX drive and a Shimano 11 speed Diore XT. I live in a hilly town in Washington state (and know the White Mountains well having spent time growing up around Bridgton Maine. Last week I test drove a Trek Super Commuter + 8sas I am intersted in getting a Bosch Performance speed capable of 28mph. I did a ride on my bike last week that was 37 miles with 14% battery remaining at the end of the ride. At the rate it was dropping at the end I would have been surprised to see it go beyond 40 miles before running out of juice. I suspect the spped version will give you less than 30 miles. I did that ride mostly in touring mode, the second lowest assist level.

Range: the CX will go a lot further than the speed version
steep hills: The CX does way better on steep grades with about 20% greater torque.

IFrom what you describe, you will be much happier on a bike with the Bosch CX drive for getting around in the mountains.

For range you can either get an extra battery and carry it with you in your trunk bag or get a bike that is fitted

At the price you are considering you should go look at either the Riese & Muller super Charger with double batteries or the Delight if you want to get full suspension.
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I do think that if I really love it, and I really start riding more than 40 miles, that I may have to invest in a another battery pack. It would be a great goal. One of the reasons I want a Trek is the easy access to service and a qualified technician. A weird comparison but 5 years ago, I have a super fancy kitchen with Miele, Viking and some other fancy but wonderful appliances. The problem was everytime they need service -- the service person had to come to Maine from Connecticut! It was ridiculous. When you live in a rural area, one has to take service into consideration. My kids still live in Maine, so I go there enough to visit, and that's where the Trek dealer is that i have worked with for many years. Thanks again!

....At the price you are considering you should go look at either the Riese & Muller super Charger with double batteries or the Delight if you want to get full suspension.

Riese and Muller New Charger would also have dual battery ability as will the Haibike SDuro 9.0 (Bosch CX) which should be available later in the year:

https://www.haibike.com

@Babrassiler @Alaskan

After riding it for an hour or so, I bought the Trek Super Commuter. Definitely needs a Body Float suspension post. Im going to ride it for a season, and if I need another battery pack, I’m going to buy one. I was happy with the ride and my body position. Hoping for a good riding season. Thanks again for your help!

Congrats on your new bike purchase. When I tested several models in the Trek SC category at the Bike Expo, this model came out ahead against all of the top competitors. The smooth ride, the responsiveness of the Bosch motor, the 28mph max output, etc. Enjoy your new ride!

Congrats on your new bike purchase. When I tested several models in the Trek SC category at the Bike Expo, this model came out ahead against all of the top competitors. The smooth ride, the responsiveness of the Bosch motor, the 28mph max output, etc. Enjoy your new ride!
That’s good to hear! After spending another $1K on the suspension seat, a car rack and a trailer hitch- I thought I better be riding it every day (as long as I’m not kayaking :)

That’s good to hear! After spending another $1K on the suspension seat, a car rack and a trailer hitch- I thought I better be riding it every day (as long as I’m not kayaking :)
WM NH-Just curious which bike rack you purchased. I know there are some nice units out there to choose from.

WM NH-Just curious which bike rack you purchased. I know there are some nice units out there to choose from.
I bought the Thule Classic 2 - I have a roof bike rack that is wedged in between my two kayak racks. And will h the weight of the Trek Super Commuter, I’m not going to manage it with the kayaks so on the back it goes. Cheers!

I bought the Thule Classic 2 - I have a roof bike rack that is wedged in between my two kayak racks. And will h the weight of the Trek Super Commuter, I’m not going to manage it with the kayaks so on the back it goes. Cheers!

Looks like a very well made rack with all the practical features. @ 60lbs per bike, you are more than within the range for most ebikes. Good choice.

Back