Trek Rail 5 (2021) thoughts

Be careful. If that kickstand catches something it could be trouble.

20 years ago when I was still mountain biking, I was going down a steep incline and hit a wet tree root.
my front wheel went sideways and me and the bike I was clipped to did a front flip.
I landed on my back with the bike on a fallen tree unconscious.

When I came too, There was a 2" diameter sharp pointed branch between my arm(pit) and my side torso.
A hair from being impaled.

Really nice bike Dallant.

Mountain bikes aren't going to have bolt bosses to add stuff to make it heavy and more stuff to get caught on on the trail.
I've done my share of OTB nothing that bad. Worse one was after having my rear shock rebuilt discovered on a steep decline the shop had changed the rebound setting and got bucked off landing on a rock slab like a fish out of water lol my fault should have checked that.

Agree about the kickstand but also the bags... a bronco into a pack mule?! =)

Be careful. If that kickstand catches something it could be trouble.

20 years ago when I was still mountain biking, I was going down a steep incline and hit a wet tree root.
my front wheel went sideways and me and the bike I was clipped to did a front flip.
I landed on my back with the bike on a fallen tree unconscious.

When I came too, There was a 2" diameter sharp pointed branch between my arm(pit) and my side torso.
A hair from being impaled.

Really nice bike Dallant.

Mountain bikes aren't going to have bolt bosses to add stuff to make it heavy and more stuff to get caught on on the trail.
I think I would be getting rid of that kickstand. I think your asking for a tree to reach out and grab it. Nice looking bike for sure.

Nice . Is there anyway to put some sort of rear rack on it ? From what I can see in your pictures (NO) ?
Maybe but I haven’t really investigated that yet. I do have a set of fenders that work.
I've been looking at this rack:

Or this one:

I think I would be getting rid of that kickstand. I think your asking for a tree to reach out and grab it. Nice looking bike for sure.
Since I’m a beginner at EMTB, I’m taking it pretty easy and not doing any real tightly spaced trails. I’m very aware that the kickstand will need to be removed as trails get tighter. Also aware that the front bag will need to be removed (in this case an easy click and lift operation) as trails get rougher. Appreciate the advice guys!
6DCAED6E-5957-4884-9A51-B99F166A707C.jpeg

Sweet ride! Looks like you are enjoying it. I rode my buddy’s Rail 5 last winter in AZ. I agree with you it climbs like a billy goat! Unfortunately, my 70 yr old body doesn’t allow me to MTB ride like I used to, but still it was fun.

Since my Allant+7 is in the shop getting the new 625wh battery adjustments, I decided it was time to test the Rail 5 on my workout route. 27.75 hilly paved miles (with a very small amount of gravel) was a good test and I’m quite pleased. If I were to want to consistently use it that way, a different seat and different tires would be in order but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
I went early as today is going to be a scorcher. Saw lots of other riders out getting ready for RAGBRAI starting next week. Got passed by an analogger who was clearly ready for next week! He and his bike‘s combined weight looked half that of me and mine and he was going at least twice as fast!!😳
396B2162-8068-4087-B7D6-B5ADB27604FE.jpeg

Sweet ride! Looks like you are enjoying it. I rode my buddy’s Rail 5 last winter in AZ. I agree with you it climbs like a billy goat! Unfortunately, my 70 yr old body doesn’t allow me to MTB ride like I used to, but still it was fun.
On the other hand it does allow you to MTB ride some somewhat like you used to as far as climbs and distance...

I‘m sure this is a laugh to you all but…
A month or so ago I thought buying a spare Serfas E-Gel seat for my Allant+7 made sense. When it arrived it was a significantly narrower version of it so its just been sitting in the basement. I finally decided to try it on my Rail 5 for fun as a more “roadworthy“ seat. Took it around the block and it’s ok but it’s now awaiting a full test. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• AEAD42E9-991E-40BF-97BE-D5EB70260354.jpeg
    AEAD42E9-991E-40BF-97BE-D5EB70260354.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 214
@PDoz? You've always been helpful re e-MTB!

I'm so clumsy that I catch my heels on the cranks - so mounting a spear on the swingarm would be suicide! Hanging a bag off the bars or mounting a testicle destroying bag above the mainframe would also end badly for me.... BUT Dallant seems to be building an esuv rather than emtb , I'm quite enjoying watching the compromises that work for him .

I'm so clumsy that I catch my heels on the cranks - so mounting a spear on the swingarm would be suicide! Hanging a bag off the bars or mounting a testicle destroying bag above the mainframe would also end badly for me.... BUT Dallant seems to be building an esuv rather than emtb , I'm quite enjoying watching the compromises that work for him .
Spear on the swing arm? Testicle-destroying bag? How about a heel-destroying crank? I’m sure if you screw up badly enough you can encounter a nut-sac-eating handlebar stem!😂
I’m sure a highly technical rider could take this ebike into areas I’ll never go, without a kickstand of course. It’s all a beginner’s experiment so if I’m building an esuv, so be it as a total beginner at 66+. I see this as an all-purpose ebike with the capability (with minor additions/subtractions) to take it a ton of places I’d never take my Allant to.

Spear on the swing arm? Testicle-destroying bag? How about a heel-destroying crank? I’m sure if you screw up badly enough you can encounter a nut-sac-eating handlebar stem!😂
I’m sure a highly technical rider could take this ebike into areas I’ll never go, without a kickstand of course. It’s all a beginner’s experiment so if I’m building an esuv, so be it as a total beginner at 66+. I see this as an all-purpose ebike with the capability (with minor additions/subtractions) to take it a ton of places I’d never take my Allant to.

Hmmm...makes me think twice about keeping my tool in the stem !!!!

Nothing wrong with that!

I don't get the rush like I used to with technical probably since I rode it for so long and still do some but with an emtb trail riding has becoming more fun to me now. The added speed keeps it exciting and makes it bit like riding downhill.

Dallant: If you are building an e-SUV, start with tyres. Johnny Watts come to my mind. Or, have you already swapped the tyres?

Dallant: If you are building an e-SUV, start with tyres. Johnny Watts come to my mind. Or, have you already swapped the tyres?
I’m not intentionally building an “esuv” as PDoz put it. I know you are a JW fan but I haven’t made any real plans for different tires yet.
I’ve spent a lot (to me) of money this last 14 months so I’m in no hurry to build anything. Just adding a few accessories I’ve had to test out how they work with this bike for general usage. Only things I’ve specifically bought for the Rail are cheap add-on fenders and a cheap add-on Wild Man handlebar bag. They can all (including the thrown-in kickstand) be added/subtracted in about 10 minutes (except the saddle) depending on what kind of ride or conditions I find myself looking at.

My new name for the Rail is “Mankato Billy“ for where I bought it and how it climbs!😉
My 66+ yr old body is doing ok but I’m taking it easy and realizing my limitations. The Rail is certainly more bike than I’ll ever properly utilize but I wanted to get off into rougher country where my Allant isn't built to go.

I’m not intentionally building an “esuv” as PDoz put it. I know you are a JW fan but I haven’t made any real plans for different tires yet.
I’ve spent a lot (to me) of money this last 14 months so I’m in no hurry to build anything. Just adding a few accessories I’ve had to test out how they work with this bike for general usage. Only things I’ve specifically bought for the Rail are cheap add-on fenders and a cheap add-on Wild Man handlebar bag. They can all (including the thrown-in kickstand) be added/subtracted in about 10 minutes (except the saddle) depending on what kind of ride or conditions I find myself looking at.

Ahhh, a convertible suv ?

I should probably point out that in Australia an suv us a perfectly acceptable vehicle. Late last century I may have been guilty of doing very silly things in the original subaru forrester..... and enjoyed the motorbike equivalent!

9A4BE946-2762-4421-BCA1-641CD1B22A1C.jpegi

Ahhh, a convertible suv ?

I should probably point out that in Australia an suv us a perfectly acceptable vehicle. Late last century I may have been guilty of doing very silly things in the original subaru forrester..... and enjoyed the motorbike equivalent!

View attachment 93996i
Yeah, I’ve had my share of SUV’s. One of my fav motorbikes ever was my Yamaha 400 Enduro and yes, I did my share of jumping with it.

Attachments

• B6C484DB-4C8E-41F8-8790-98E476BBC3D3.jpeg
    B6C484DB-4C8E-41F8-8790-98E476BBC3D3.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 197
Yeah, I’ve had my share of SUV’s. One of my fav motorbikes ever was my Yamaha 400 Enduro and yes, I did my share of jumping with it.

Back in the day , my neighbour had an at1 / dt 125 . Baby brother ? I spent many hours blasting around paddocks on that thing. In fact, the next 10 years involved several blue smoke yamahas - all small bore ( dt 175/200, it 200 , wr 200) . I've never owned a big bore blue smoker

Back