Trek Pedal recall - if you have the plastic pedals read this

What Trek did not announce is what the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission provided: Trek has received 132 reports of the recalled pedals loosening, locking up or falling off, including seven reports of riders falling and experiencing injuries, including scrapes, bruises and road rash. That's around 316,500 units the US and an additional 28,650 units in Canada, which were installed as original equipment on Trek “Allant+,” “Dual Sport+,” “FX 2,” “FX 3,” “Verve 2,” “Verve 3,” and “Verve+” model bicycles with ZTR02 stamped on the bicycle’s pedal. It's a little disconcerting that Trek didn't make this recall announcement earlier to reduce the number of incidents.

Although the main reason for the recall is due to the Bontrager Satellite City Pedals not properly installed on the bicycle during assembly, I'm now looking for a different set of pedals as an upgrade on my Allant+ 7S before my LBS uninstalls my recalled pedals.

So any pedal suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
RaceFace "Ride" are nice grippy pedals that are easy on rider's calves and shins. Popular pedals with extremely good grip are RaceFace Chester or CrankBrothers Stamp 1.

I don't understand the issue from a technical standpoint. What makes these pedals so different from others, that they require "multi-directional torque wrench"?

The only thing I can see is that they don't have external flats (only an internal hex) - which in my mind makes them even easier to install since you can use any regular torque wrench if you're so incli------ ohhhh wait. LH threads on the one pedal. Is that the issue? Without external wrench flats you can't just flip over an open-ended torque wrench and use it backward, and some bike shops aren't correctly tightening the pedals?

My money is on taking my bike in to the shop, and they give it back with the same pedals and say "here, we tightened them" haha

I too am not using the original pedals on my Dual Sport Plus. Switched them out to a platform pedal with pegs, forgot the brand name. Got red to match some of the trim.
So what does the recall get you? A new set of pedals?

I too am not using the original pedals on my Dual Sport Plus. Switched them out to a platform pedal with pegs, forgot the brand name. Got red to match some of the trim.
So what does the recall get you? A new set of pedals?
A $30 credit toward new pedals plus an additional $20 credit to use at Trek.
Funny, although the recall announcement says to stop using the Bontrager Satellite City Pedals, my LBS told me that they don't know when the replacements will be arriving, but I could upgrade to the one or two other pedals (with pins that shred) that they have in the shop. I'll ask them on Tuesday if I could order pedals that are not in their inventory.

A $30 credit toward new pedals plus an additional $20 credit to use at Trek.
Funny, although the recall announcement says to stop using the Bontrager Satellite City Pedals, my LBS told me that they don't know when the replacements will be arriving, but I could upgrade to the one or two other pedals (with pins that shred) that they have in the shop. I'll ask them on Tuesday if I could order pedals that are not in their inventory.

Really? The email I got said a $26 credit that could be used at my local bike store - no cash value. Are they sending out different offers to different people?

I assume it's $26 USD (I'm Canadian) but I have no idea. It wasn't specified anywhere...

Really? The email I got said a $26 credit that could be used at my local bike store - no cash value. Are they sending out different offers to different people?

I assume it's $26 USD (I'm Canadian) but I have no idea. It wasn't specified anywhere...
Check the website to be sure. I read new pedal plus $20

I have a sneaking suspicion the $26 is Canadian. That’s a little better than two dollars and some change than what we Americans get.

I was at my LBS over the weekend & they gave me some cheaper-looking & feeling Wellgo pedals. Not sure how to get my $ from Trek though.

Hello there.
You might take a look at Pedaling Innovation products. On all my bikes. Very, very wide and long (front to back). Two sets of grub screws included. Size makes for easy placement of foot in almost any position but especially with arch over spindle.

Anyone know what the big deal is here? Pedals coming loose? Easy enough to tighten with a pedal wrench. Sure they "should" be torqued with a torque wrench, but how many folks do that? Besides, by design, they should tighten with use, not loosen.

What am I not understanding here?

Anyone know what the big deal is here? Pedals coming loose? Easy enough to tighten with a pedal wrench. Sure they "should" be torqued with a torque wrench, but how many folks do that? Besides, by design, they should tighten with use, not loosen.

What am I not understanding here?
You are understanding that they are offering you an alternative (no doubt for legal reasons) and that you could get hurt. What you do about it is up to you.

You are understanding that they are offering you an alternative (no doubt for legal reasons) and that you could get hurt. What you do about it is up to you.
Yes, of course I understand this. However, I also hear that many shops don't have any pedals. Am I supposed to park my bike in the meantime? And, no, I do not "understand...that you could get hurt" since I know (1) pedals and (2) bicycle maintenance. So I asked what the risk actually is. You apparently don't know, so instead you gave me a non-answer. Do you care to try again with something more informative?

Bicycle pedals are not complex devices. Screwing them into crank arms is not a complex, precision activity. So I wonder what the point of failure actually is? Knowing this would allow me to mitigate my risk perhaps more than I already have, which is to check the tightness of my existing pedals.

i Have the same question what is the actual issue? I don’t ride my Trek ( make offer?) but put the pedals on another bike , what is unsafe about the pedal? , is it “if” or more “when” ? No letter or correspondence from anyone yet.

i Have the same question what is the actual issue? I don’t ride my Trek ( make offer?) but put the pedals on another bike , what is unsafe about the pedal? , is it “if” or more “when” ? No letter or correspondence from anyone yet.
Take a look at post #2 above.

Talked with my Trek guy and his response was that SOME folks who installed these did not torque them and SOME folks were injured when those pedals fell off. As far as I (or he) can tell, there’s really nothing wrong with the pedals. I had already changed my pedals out last summer and will likely keep the old ones as I hear the replacement pedals are definitely crappier than the originals. Same with my wife’s Allant+7 Lowstep.
This is a classic lawyer-driven “campaign” designed to prevent lawsuits.

Back