Trek Domane+ HP

So I pulled the trigger and got the 2019 Domane+ on Saturday. Busy weekend with family so I haven't taken my 1st real ride yet (beyond spinning around the parking lot at the LBS).

What should I be looking for beyond the things I can think of below? Any help appreciated.
  • Purion - do I need a cyclocomputer in addition or are my smartphone (Strava, Komoot?, etc.) and Apple Watch enough?
    • Coming from the Conduit+ I am used to having ODO, DST, MAX, AVG, etc. at my fingertips.
    • Purion seems very basic functionality.
    • I may also need to change it from km/h to miles/h. I didn't look too closely.
  • If smartphone, how comfortable are folks with the handlebar mounts and stretchy bands wrapping?
    • I normally ride w/ phone in my back jersey pocket
  • Need to get 2 cages. I'm thinking RED would be a very nice accent. LBS put my Look red pedals from the Conduit+ on it while I was there. (Conduit+ needs a back wheel broken spoke fixed.)
    • I usually use Polar insulated bottle.
    • Unless very long ride, 1 is fine for me.
    • Do people like the bike bottle tool storage kits? If yes, what are best things to include.
  • With quick release on both wheels, I seem to remember you have to put in a spacer for the disc brakes when you take them off. I haven't done that in a while and probably need to brush up on the why and the how.
  • LBS couldn't find the key for the removable battery. Until they find it I'll need to charge onboard. Not a big deal.
Thanks everyone for your input.

So I pulled the trigger and got the 2019 Domane+ on Saturday. Busy weekend with family so I haven't taken my 1st real ride yet (beyond spinning around the parking lot at the LBS).

What should I be looking for beyond the things I can think of below? Any help appreciated.
  • Purion - do I need a cyclocomputer in addition or are my smartphone (Strava, Komoot?, etc.) and Apple Watch enough?
    • Coming from the Conduit+ I am used to having ODO, DST, MAX, AVG, etc. at my fingertips.
    • Purion seems very basic functionality.
    • I may also need to change it from km/h to miles/h. I didn't look too closely.
  • If smartphone, how comfortable are folks with the handlebar mounts and stretchy bands wrapping?
    • I normally ride w/ phone in my back jersey pocket
  • Need to get 2 cages. I'm thinking RED would be a very nice accent. LBS put my Look red pedals from the Conduit+ on it while I was there. (Conduit+ needs a back wheel broken spoke fixed.)
    • I usually use Polar insulated bottle.
    • Unless very long ride, 1 is fine for me.
    • Do people like the bike bottle tool storage kits? If yes, what are best things to include.
  • With quick release on both wheels, I seem to remember you have to put in a spacer for the disc brakes when you take them off. I haven't done that in a while and probably need to brush up on the why and the how.
  • LBS couldn't find the key for the removable battery. Until they find it I'll need to charge onboard. Not a big deal.
Congrats on the new purchase. You will find yourself putting more miles on this bike than others you may have because it has an element of fun, and because it will keep you out of "trouble" if you get too tired etc. In many ways the electric motor is your safety net - just in case.
Thoughts:
-The Domane+ is a good price point, because its last year's technology. To upgrade costs several thousand more, for not much gain.
-The cycle computer is a bit primitive, but I just take my apple watch along, and it provides all the stats I need.
-I have 2 bottle cages and each can hold a 24 oz bottle no problems. The bike frame is plenty big enough.
-For the first couple of hundred miles I suggest keeping the display in the range mode, so that you learn how the motor and battery work during your specific rides.
-Most people ride at the same effort and cadence as they did on a conventional bike, so your physical work out will be the same. Be prepared to sweat just the same. You'll just go faster.
-I insist that every once in a while you find a proud, arrogant rider along your path, (you know that guy with $15,000 of apparel) and politely and definitively blow him away.

Congrats on the new purchase. You will find yourself putting more miles on this bike than others you may have because it has an element of fun, and because it will keep you out of "trouble" if you get too tired etc. In many ways the electric motor is your safety net - just in case.
Thoughts:
-The Domane+ is a good price point, because its last year's technology. To upgrade costs several thousand more, for not much gain.
-The cycle computer is a bit primitive, but I just take my apple watch along, and it provides all the stats I need.
-I have 2 bottle cages and each can hold a 24 oz bottle no problems. The bike frame is plenty big enough.
-For the first couple of hundred miles I suggest keeping the display in the range mode, so that you learn how the motor and battery work during your specific rides.
-Most people ride at the same effort and cadence as they did on a conventional bike, so your physical work out will be the same. Be prepared to sweat just the same. You'll just go faster.
-I insist that every once in a while you find a proud, arrogant rider along your path, (you know that guy with $15,000 of apparel) and politely and definitively blow him away.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely try the last item. (In fact, last night on a quick spin after work and dinner, I definitely wanted to challenge a guy on a scooter to a drag race!!!)

A few quick thoughts:
  • The chain clicking when coasting seems very loud. I guess I will get used to that.
  • The Purion placement (right of stem on handlebar) seems odd to me.
    • I am left handed and used to the simple thumb presses on the Conduit+ to change assist levels and cycle through pages.
    • With the Purion in current placement, I either have to use my left hand to cross over center to change assist levels OR use the right hand to cross over the face of the Purion to push the +/-
    • Seems like it would be more ergonomic if mounted in same place left of the stem.
    • Maybe I can ask my LBS (Trek store) to move it?
  • The lights did not come on automatically.
    • There is a little circular ring that slides on & off a little peg under the Purion that says "Light" on it, but I couldn't get it to activate in any way.
    • Will ask LBS when I go buy to pick up key and a pair of clearance socks I ordered on website and had shipped to store.
  • Purion is still set to km/h
    • I'll do some Google and YouTube searching to figure out how to change that
    • Makes you seem like your going even faster for now!
  • SRAM shifting is going to take some getting used to.
    • 1st time I've ever had that.
    • Conduit+ was RH thumb shifters for up & down.
    • Prior road bikes (many years ago) were on the brakes
  • Shifting seems loud and "digital" rather than smooth, quiet and "flowing"
    • Not sure if that is typical for SRAM or if I'm doing it wrong or if it just takes some getting used to
  • 4 levels of assist will take some getting used to
    • On the conduit, I stayed in ECO 90% of the time, even on reasonably steep hills
    • I'd use the shifter to match effort
    • The 10% of using the 2 higher levels of assist were on very steep & longer hills OR in traffic where I needed to get away quickly and reliably to keep up with traffic
      • As an aside, this is a feature of e-bikes that doesn't get as much attention as it should. Having the ability to ride in a congested area with high assist and keep up with traffic for the most part makes the rider feel much more comfortable and is much safer.
    • With having an extra level of assist, I am thinking the eco level of assist (1/4) is lower than the eco level of assist (1/3) on the Conduit+. As such, I may need to use Sport (or Tour, I can't remember which is 2 and which is 3 but I know Turbo is 4 - and it is like a rocket!) more to keep my gearing off the easiest setting.
  • Regardless of level of assist, it will take some getting used to not having the assist cut out at 18 mph like on the Conduit+
    • Can't imagine how many minutes that is going to shave off of my typical rides
    • Need to make sure I get same workout.
    • Maybe ride same amount of time and just go farther!

Thanks for the encouragement. I will definitely try the last item. (In fact, last night on a quick spin after work and dinner, I definitely wanted to challenge a guy on a scooter to a drag race!!!)

A few quick thoughts:
  • The chain clicking when coasting seems very loud. I guess I will get used to that.
    • I am left handed and used to the simple thumb presses on the Conduit+ to change assist levels and cycle through pages.
    • With the Purion in current placement, I either have to use my left hand to cross over center to change assist levels OR use the right hand to cross over the face of the Purion to push the +/-
    • Seems like it would be more ergonomic if mounted in same place left of the stem.
    • There is a little circular ring that slides on & off a little peg under the Purion that says "Light" on it, but I couldn't get it to activate in any way.
    • Will ask LBS when I go buy to pick up key and a pair of clearance socks I ordered on website and had shipped to store.
    • Not sure if that is typical for SRAM or if I'm doing it wrong or if it just takes some getting used to
    • On the conduit, I stayed in ECO 90% of the time, even on reasonably steep hills
    • The 10% of using the 2 higher levels of assist were on very steep & longer hills OR in traffic where I needed to get away quickly and reliably to keep up with traffic
      • As an aside, this is a feature of e-bikes that doesn't get as much attention as it should. Having the ability to ride in a congested area with high assist and keep up with traffic for the most part makes the rider feel much more comfortable and is much safer.
    • With having an extra level of assist, I am thinking the eco level of assist (1/4) is lower than the eco level of assist (1/3) on the Conduit+. As such, I may need to use Sport (or Tour, I can't remember which is 2 and which is 3 but I know Turbo is 4 - and it is like a rocket!) more to keep my gearing off the easiest setting.
  • Regardless of level of assist, it will take some getting used to not having the assist cut out at 18 mph like on the Conduit+
That is a good initial report. That is on the 2019 bike? I wasn't really sure but assumed it was. Thanks so much

Thanks for heads up on that...just did a great ride, so hot and sunny! just wanted to turn lights off haha. I did 2800' climbing about 30 miles, started with 90% battery and ended with 30%. I bought this to be my twice a week work commuter (55miles RT)-so it will be great, but a little roadie test ride today was fantastic, I enjoyed it far more than the creo I had. I've got a shimano motor bike, and a levo SL, this is my first Bosch motor and its awesome thus far. I do plan on putting flat bars though, making it a frankencommuter. I am more of a MTBer so I will like it better and I have a sweet road bike if I need an actual super light roadie day. IMPRESSED with this bike.
Don't you think battery life is an issue with this bike? 60% battery used up in 30 miles, with a massive 500Wh battery doesn't seem very good or efficient. I guess there's got to be a tradeoff with a high powered bike (I.e., weight and/or range).

As an example: doing 28mph will drain the 500Wh in 20-30 miles. It's just using a lot of power to overcome wind resistance.

Just like with a new car, you'll get terrible gas milage for the first few "tanks" as you play with it. As you settle into the bike you'll probably find that you get better milage. You'll start to downgrade the assist more on the flats and down hills etc. I average about 70 miles of continuous assist in ecco and just under 50 miles of continuous assist in sport. But I never ride with continuous assist, so I do much better than that depending on where I'm riding.

Like Tom said, you're not going to know individually until you get in some rides. Mileage is going to depend on how much assist you are using. Domane has 4 assist setting: eco, sport, tour and turbo. Obviously battery will drain much quicker in turbo than eco. I run in eco and sport mode most of the time and rarely in tour and only once in turbo just to see what it was like. I've done 3 - 60 mile group rides with 2000 ft. elevation and doing more than my fair share of pulling because I had the e-bike and I still have 50% battery left. I'll also point out in group riding pace line on flat ground I have assist turned off most of the time and turn back on when pavement turns up or out front pulling.

I previously suggested that for the first couple of hundred miles I you keep the display in the range mode, so that you learn how the motor and battery work during your specific rides.

Here is case in point. With a full battery (five little battery bars) I went about 60 miles draining the first three bars. By that calculation, the remaining two bars should provide another 40 miles or so. But then I did a 1 mile 8% grade hill. I looked down. What?? two bars left but only 3 miles?? The range calculation is just like the "miles to empty" number in your car. It is based on how you're riding over the last couple of miles or last 10 minutes or so. Say to yourself "If I keep riding the way I'm doing right now, I'll be out of gas in X miles". In eco mode with a slight tail wind, the range can stay the same over several miles. It even goes up with long down hills. But the take home message is don't just look at the number of bars. This is a HUGE disadvantage that many other electric bikes have. In an effort to be discreet, they just have a few LEDs on the main tube with a single button that changes your assist to the next level. You cannot rely on that alone.

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 297
I previously suggested that for the first couple of hundred miles I you keep the display in the range mode, so that you learn how the motor and battery work during your specific rides.

Here is case in point. With a full battery (five little battery bars) I went about 60 miles draining the first three bars. By that calculation, the remaining two bars should provide another 40 miles or so. But then I did a 1 mile 8% grade hill. I looked down. What?? two bars left but only 3 miles?? The range calculation is just like the "miles to empty" number in your car. It is based on how you're riding over the last couple of miles or last 10 minutes or so. Say to yourself "If I keep riding the way I'm doing right now, I'll be out of gas in X miles". In eco mode with a slight tail wind, the range can stay the same over several miles. It even goes up with long down hills. But the take home message is don't just look at the number of bars. This is a HUGE disadvantage that many other electric bikes have. In an effort to be discreet, they just have a few LEDs on the main tube with a single button that changes your assist to the next level. You cannot rely on that alone.

For those of us who also have electric cars, we are already trained to ignore the GOM (guess-o-meter). It is marginally directionally helpful, but the bars and your experience will be much more useful over time.

A few quick thoughts:
OK, I have gotten a few rides in, searched some great YouTube videos (including a few from Court and EBR) and have the following updates and new questions:
  • Getting used to the placement of Purion. All of the flat bar videos where I see it show it wide left. With drops, I could move it left of stem, but that wouldn't change much.
  • Video showed me how to activate light. That remains the default setting.
    • I still don't understand the little ring below the stem.
    • Now that I've turned on the lights, I can report it is a "bright light" button, just like a car.
    • Works on front headlight only. No impact on rear.
    • Seems like extra wires & hassle for very little use.
    • We shall see.
  • Video showed how to change to mph
  • SRAM shifter seems loose and is separating from brake hood (i.e., moves away and backward to allow gap which doesn't feel right); will ask LBS about that
    • Need to look up some videos on SRAM shifting
    • Really miss the numerical display from the Conduit+ thumb shifters as to which gear I am in
  • I feel like I am "cheating" b/c I am using Sport on most climbs.
    • Eco is not enough help even at largest back ring
    • I keep telling myself the Eco on the Domane+ is not the same Eco as was on the Conduit+ b/c of the 4 v. 3
    • Still feels like "cheating" even though I am still working hard
  • I am finding I can either do same routes I used to do (10-12 miles typically) in a shorter amount of time OR I can do more miles in the same amount of time I used to allocate. Fun to have options.
  • Videos also showed me how to find trip odo (bummed it doesn't have tenths, but I have Apple Watch and Strava if needed)
  • Need to do some research on protecting disc brake when removing wheel as both have quick release on Domane+ which will make it easier to transport. I seem to recall the need to use some kind of spacer.
  • Just rec'd 2 red bottle cages from Amazon. With red Look pedals and the red already on the Domane+, I am really liking the color scheme!
  • Hope to take a longer ride this weekend and stretch my legs a bit.

I have a Domane+ HP7. It is my first ebike. It took a little getting used to the heavier weight but now it handles really well. the 32 mm tires are really comforable compared to the 25 mm on my Roubaix. I have not had a chance to see what is the maximum distance I can get on this bike yet. I have ridden 60+ miles twice with my regular group ride buddies. Once with 1800 ft. elevation change and once with very strong headwinds. I'm hoping to get 100 miles out of it so I can ride in an upcoming century ride that has about 2800 ft. elevation change. View attachment 56499
This is the exact setup I am looking for (Pearl), can you perhaps post some more pictures of it in different lighting? How long did it take to arrive after you ordered it? I went to a bike shop today and they told me that color would take 3-4 months.

This is the exact setup I am looking for (Pearl), can you perhaps post some more pictures of it in different lighting? How long did it take to arrive after you ordered it? I went to a bike shop today and they told me that color would take 3-4 months.

This is the bike I have. One in sunlight. I was lucky in that my lbs had this bike in stock.
C7B36CF4-FAA2-411D-826A-5DA9FD882844.png
61029823-87B6-42E8-8B91-20B45FE6203C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back