Trek Domane+ HP

The top two power setting are "sport" and "Turbo". I almost never ever use them. I call them "riding the bus", because you are moving at "highway speeds by barely pedaling".

When you do the math, there are two more people pedaling with you in Turbo mode. It's ridiculous.

I can't understand why Trek would short change the Canadian market which is obviously full of potential. I just had my red on black Domane+ professionally tuned at the authorized dealer and it is perfect. It's yours for less than $3000 next spring if you're interested. Even with the exchange, that's a little cheaper than the Creo. ;)

Riding creo unassisted, is, not fun. "crush" term was meant, if im on an assist bike, I want to CRUSH the times of my local climbs, that I've set on my road bike...and on a Creo, I was marginally faster (why would I wanna do that on a bike that weighs 15 more pounds than my road bike) but on the domane+ HP, I am totally crushing my old times, and that is fun-which is what these bikes are about, fun.
Before I bought my first ebike I had narrowed it down to the Creo but at the last minute I decided since I was going to spend this kind of money I should go ahead and at least try the Damone+ HP7 of which I did. I tried the Damone first and really liked it. A few days later I tried the Creo. I rode both bike on the same 60 mile course with 1800 ft. elevation climbing. Even though I was leaning towards the Creo because it was lighter I really liked the Damone better. The Creo didn't have as much power on the climbs and required riding at a higher cadense than I could maintain for any extended time. Maybe would have been OK for a younger and more fit rider but at 66 I couldn't. I bought the Damone+ HP7 and have ridden it on 4 fast 60 mile group rides with 1800 to 2500 ft. climbing with my regular riding buddies who are 5 to 15 yr. younger. Before the Damone I could barely hang with them this year but with the Domane I can ride with them as hard and fast as they want to go. I can be at the front on the climbs now (first if I wanted to but just hang back in the group). I now can do these hard fast rides&not be totally exhausted. A lot more fun. I am vert happy with the Domane.

Canada doesn't allow high speed eBikes to be sold into the market I think? Is that what you mean? That it didn't go 28mph/45kmh when you bought it and had to have it tuned?

Any ebike that has a power cutoff of 28mph is not sold in Canada. It's beyond my comprehension why Trek can't just change the cutoff setting to 20 mph (32kph).

I completely disagree...4 rides on my creo and I knew I'd be selling it. I am fit enough, old school racer, in the bike biz and ride enough to hang with most people. If I am going assist, I want the ability to crush it, the creo didn't have a lot of crush, even in TURBO mode. My strava times on my 17lb road bike vs creo were too close for my reasoning--why own a heavy road bike unless its a rocket ship? haha.
That being said, the Domane with the Bosch is EXACTLY what I wanted, commuter OR lazy road days. I will still keep my road bike, but I can see my use of Domane really going up.
Funny though, creo on road seemed pointless, you'd think I'd think that on my levo sl too-but no, the levo sl is great on the MTB, it's what eMTB should have been in the beginning.
That is kind of how I felt when I rode the Domane LT. Btw it did not have the most recent soft ware update (BLACK PEPPER) that is supposed to make a big difference. I kept thinking while I was on the test ride that I don't think I am a ton faster than on my Madone that weighs like 15 lbs without pedals. Maybe 14lbs. I might have been less exhausted on a typical long ride though on the LT.

I've got 1000 miles on my Domane+ and I love it so much I was considering an HP but COVID happened. Coming from a road bike with 700x25 tires, every time I looked down at the 700x35 tires on the Domane, I felt like I was riding a mountain bike, so I decided to upgrade the wheels instead of getting a new bike at this time. I put the Aeolus Pro 3V TLR Disc Road 700x28 wheels on that come on the higher end trek road bikes, and it has hit the sweet spot!! :p In real world riding, the bike is quieter, more responsive in the turns and I don't feel like the bike is too big or heavy for the tires. I'm averaging about 3 miles faster rolling down steep hills and about 2 miles faster on the flats. As you would expect, there's no significant difference in the climbs.

For someone like myself who is not competing in any fashion are $1500 rims (1/4 the price of the bike) really worth the price? Obviously not, but it's the most significant upgrade that you can do that elevates the bike from a fast casual bike to a serious road bike. It's more of an improvement than I expected. (Might have to do with decreasing rotational mass etc etc).

P.S. IMHO I've ridden both the LT and Creo and they are rubbish. If you're going to add weight, then add real power with the Bosche motors on the Trek HP or HP7.
So the MPH difference is with the wheels on the 2019 bike?

The wheels and tires that come standard on the electric domane bikes right now are good all around 35mm tires. They are good for casual riding, city commuting on concrete, and gravel, and there is enough air in them to give these heavy bikes a comfortable ride. However, the high end traditional bikes from most makers theses days are 25mm on time trial bikes and 28mm on their best road bikes. These wheels are light carbon fiber, mildly disk shaped for better aerodynamics, using smoother more expensive components that are better for pure road biking. What you loose in comfort you gain in responsiveness in better turning and acceleration when you get out of the saddle.

They look great, they make the bike look and feel more like the price I paid for it. I'm very pleased with them.

Are they worth the money? No, because I am not a competitive rider. They will give you a 2 mph advantage on the flats compared to the standard wheels and tires that come on the bike, but I could get that by simply pressing the "+" button and getting more assist.

The wheels and tires that come standard on the electric domane bikes right now are good all around 35mm tires. They are good for casual riding, city commuting on concrete, and gravel, and there is enough air in them to give these heavy bikes a comfortable ride. However, the high end traditional bikes from most makers theses days are 25mm on time trial bikes and 28mm on their best road bikes. These wheels are light carbon fiber, mildly disk shaped for better aerodynamics, using smoother more expensive components that are better for pure road biking. What you loose in comfort you gain in responsiveness in better turning and acceleration when you get out of the saddle.

They look great, they make the bike look and feel more like the price I paid for it. I'm very pleased with them.

Are they worth the money? No, because I am not a competitive rider. They will give you a 2 mph advantage on the flats compared to the standard wheels and tires that come on the bike, but I could get that by simply pressing the "+" button and getting more assist.
Thanks.

Because I have been torn between the Domane LT and HP I went and rode a LT again last night at another shop 30 minutes from me. This time I rode probably a good 15 minutes or so and I came away again not impressed. The bike doesn't seem to have much power at all and quite frankly it doesn't seem as alive as my non E very light road bike. I don't know it is so weird. The first one I rode a few weeks ago I actually thought the battery wasn't on but this one the person who showed the bike to me made sure it was on. I wanted to like it but I don't so I guess the next step is the HP but there are none to try around here that I know of and the ordering time for the color I want is like 60-75 days. Anyhow the LT is out for sure.

Because I have been torn between the Domane LT and HP I went and rode a LT again last night at another shop 30 minutes from me. This time I rode probably a good 15 minutes or so and I came away again not impressed. The bike doesn't seem to have much power at all and quite frankly it doesn't seem as alive as my non E very light road bike. I don't know it is so weird. The first one I rode a few weeks ago I actually thought the battery wasn't on but this one the person who showed the bike to me made sure it was on. I wanted to like it but I don't so I guess the next step is the HP but there are none to try around here that I know of and the ordering time for the color I want is like 60-75 days. Anyhow the LT is out for sure.

If you have a nice road bike, I don't think there is any reason to even consider the LT. I have an Emonda as well as last years Domane+ and find they compliment each other quite well. The bigger motor with more power will give you something you simply don't have with the road bike, so that way you have the best of both worlds. I like being able to go back and forth. The road bike will always feel great and more refined to go back to, but it's nice to have a bike you can go out with regardless of winds or even heat, plus you can buzz around with it at almost 30 MPH if you want. Range has been great (55 mile rides with 3400' of climbing and still having over 30 miles of range left), I'm really glad I got mine. My regular road bike still gets a decent amount of use. It just depends on what I feel like doing when I go out.

Sure, the HP is heavier, and handles as such, but once you add a bit of assist it doesn't matter. I have also gone on road rides with friends (with regular road bikes) and have hardly turned the assist on at all (except for the bigger climbs) and was surprised it wasn't bad... Which was really weird, because going from a 16lb bike to a 38lb should have been miserable.

drodg, I had a similar experience with a carbon Creo that I test rode. Nice bike, but I felt it needed more power.

The LT is a Fazua 250watts motor and small battery. Is vastly inferior to +HP. Trek should have never get on the bandwagon with low powered motors such as that one.

If you have a nice road bike, I don't think there is any reason to even consider the LT. I have an Emonda as well as last years Domane+ and find they compliment each other quite well. The bigger motor with more power will give you something you simply don't have with the road bike, so that way you have the best of both worlds. I like being able to go back and forth. The road bike will always feel great and more refined to go back to, but it's nice to have a bike you can go out with regardless of winds or even heat, plus you can buzz around with it at almost 30 MPH if you want. Range has been great (55 mile rides with 3400' of climbing and still having over 30 miles of range left), I'm really glad I got mine. My regular road bike still gets a decent amount of use. It just depends on what I feel like doing when I go out.

Sure, the HP is heavier, and handles as such, but once you add a bit of assist it doesn't matter. I have also gone on road rides with friends (with regular road bikes) and have hardly turned the assist on at all (except for the bigger climbs) and was surprised it wasn't bad... Which was really weird, because going from a 16lb bike to a 38lb should have been miserable.
Very well put and you are where I think I am. I still ride multiple days either on my non e Santa Cruz MTB or my Trek Madone that weighs like 16lbs. I want an e bike for the longer days I can ride or when it is like today 90 degrees with it feels like 100% humidity. I am going to go out this afternoon after work but after one hour plus on days like today I am pretty done. Thanks so much for the replies and this forum has been a great help for me.

Hey Drodg, I see in the other thread you’re looking at a Revolt also as a partner or alternative to your Madone.

Today is a great example of what you’re discussing. I just got back in from a 25 mile swoop on my ToughRoad - the predecessor to the Revolt. Heading for 95 or better today, humidity through the roof. I never would have dreamed of going out and climbing anything higher than a traffic curb on a day like this with my old Cannondale touring bike unless I was actually going somewhere. The ebikes let you ride in more weather and more conditions without having to think abouToday was a paved path with a couple of short singletrack climb excursions into the woods here and there. The ToughRoad and Revolt are terrific for this kind of stuff. You’re rolling along and see something interesting going up an awful hill into the woods, you don’t even have to think about it, it’s just off you go.

Of course I was soaked in sweat in no time, but that’s fine with me, I ride these things for the enjoyment as well as the exercise. Having a nice light road bike and a (fun) workhorse as well seems like a pretty good deal to me.

I have a Damone+ HP7 and a 2011 Specialized Roubaix. I ride both of the bikes. The Roubaix for shorter weekday rides and the Domane allows me to ride longer, faster and more hilly weekend group rides. I really enjoy being able to ride IMO the best of both worlds. I feel like being able to do the longer, faster and harder group rides is helping me get a little more stronger on my Roubaix.

I have a Damone+ HP7 and a 2011 Specialized Roubaix. I ride both of the bikes. The Roubaix for shorter weekday rides and the Domane allows me to ride longer, faster and more hilly weekend group rides. I really enjoy being able to ride IMO the best of both worlds. I feel like being able to do the longer, faster and harder group rides is helping me get a little more stronger on my Roubaix.
Thank you

Was hot today, 90s, rode the domane +HP, 40 miles, I can't see elevation gained on KIOX, but ill guess 1500-2000'....its a bit funny, but the hate I got back when I had the first LEVO in the usa 5 yrs ago, from MTBers, pales in comparison to how pissed the roadies were in the canyon today haha. But, I don't care. One guy I caught on climb, I passed him with motor off and he was still mad. Get over it people, e-bikes aren't going anywhere and stop shaming people who enjoy them.

If anyone can help me understand the various "versions" of the Domane+, I would really appreciate it.

My local Trek store has a 56 cm Domane+ in stock and discounted to $5,800. (I think I heard my main contact at the store say $5,200 yesterday when he looked it up in their system). (See here.)

This, however, is clearly not the current version shown in their videos (particularly like the one about Jens Voight mistakenly coming out of retirement). It does not have the assist level interface in the top tube. It is still in the "computer" on the handlebars.

I also keep seeing LT and HP designations thrown around.

If I am spending big $ on a bike like this, I wonder if the discount for a previous model is worth it OR should I just spring for the latest & greatest?

I am currently riding an early gen Conduit+ and like it just fine. Very heavy and I don't love flat handlebars, but it does the trick.

So I pulled the trigger and got the 2019 Domane+ on Saturday. Busy weekend with family so I haven't taken my 1st real ride yet (beyond spinning around the parking lot at the LBS).

What should I be looking for beyond the things I can think of below? Any help appreciated.
  • Purion - do I need a cyclocomputer in addition or are my smartphone (Strava, Komoot?, etc.) and Apple Watch enough?
    • Coming from the Conduit+ I am used to having ODO, DST, MAX, AVG, etc. at my fingertips.
    • Purion seems very basic functionality.
    • I may also need to change it from km/h to miles/h. I didn't look too closely.
  • If smartphone, how comfortable are folks with the handlebar mounts and stretchy bands wrapping?
    • I normally ride w/ phone in my back jersey pocket
  • Need to get 2 cages. I'm thinking RED would be a very nice accent. LBS put my Look red pedals from the Conduit+ on it while I was there. (Conduit+ needs a back wheel broken spoke fixed.)
    • I usually use Polar insulated bottle.
    • Unless very long ride, 1 is fine for me.
    • Do people like the bike bottle tool storage kits? If yes, what are best things to include.
  • With quick release on both wheels, I seem to remember you have to put in a spacer for the disc brakes when you take them off. I haven't done that in a while and probably need to brush up on the why and the how.
  • LBS couldn't find the key for the removable battery. Until they find it I'll need to charge onboard. Not a big deal.

I do have some news :

It was posted a thread on ebr when the news release came out but only some ebr vip insiders 😉 read it. I discovered it earlier today. I'm on EBR 1x every 10-12days.
Is hard to keep up with all the ebike news/ebr threads.

The Bosch motor software increase is similar with what Tesla is doing.

BUT Tesla is charging 2000$ for a 0.4sec acceleration boost. BOSCH update will be free ??
I know , one is a car , Bosch motor is for an ebike , but still, it is something worth knowing.

Makes one wonder : how much true power is in that Gen. 4 motor ?
95nm , 100nm They went from 75NM to 85NM with just an update, that is impressive. Go to 100NM for an xtra 500$.

Is it good that they are not bringing a totally new gen. 5 motor for 2021 ? Yes . No worries about purchasing a Bosch powered ebike that will be obsolete within a year or two.

If the world class leading Nr. 1 ebike motor which is the TQ motor with 120NM would have been released on ebikes in US, they truly needed a newer motor. For now they do dominate the market.

Curious, why no mention of 160NM Bafang Ultra motor?

Back