Traveling home from vacation with Giant ebike. Rain in forecast

Buckdubay

Coming home from a short get away. Supposed to rain most of the trip home. Any procedure to protect my Giant ebike? Or should it be able to handle weather while on the bike rack.

As Steve says, and maybe cover the bottom battery connection with a couple strips of gorilla tape. I have had my ToughRoad in every kind of lousy weather imaginable and it’s still going strong, though.

Two years ago I ran a strip of electrical tape across the front seam in that ride display after people complained about their screens clouding up. I’ve never replaced it and never had a water problem there either.

We run from Florida to Michigan and Michigan to Florida every year. My advice would be to remove the battery and put it in the car for guaranteed dry. Some put baggies over the throttle and the display as well.

Picked up some plastic and gorilla tape from hardware store. I will post a picture of what I come up with before we leave Saturday morning. Once again thanks for the help!

Thanks Buck,
Splash proofing each eBike maybe different because of how it is tied and supported by various bike rack designs.
Looking forward to seeing pictures of your solution, if, it rains.
Good Luck

You should ALWAYS remove the battery while transporting - decreases the weight of the bike, and protects in case of rear-end collision.

Just finished my last ride of vacation. Bought a small roll of plastic and clear waterproof gorilla tape. It’s ready for my Thule rack on the back of my Pilot
0F8033C4-6608-4824-B312-54FE2CC90FA9.jpeg

Just drove back from vacation with bike on bed of truck, had couple hours of awful storm rain.

I have a yamaha bike, so the same motor as your giant.

I wrapped the controls on the handlebars in a ziplock and secured with a rubber band. I tied a garbage bag around the motor.

No issues whatsoever and the electrics were bone dry.

Dont overthink it.

Wrapping looks like a royal pain. I still think a good motor cycle cover is your best bet. Though keeping it tight to the bike with bungees would probably be a good idea and securing the bottom so spray does not infiltrate if you are hauling the bike behind the vehicle with a rack.

Wrapping looks like a royal pain. I still think a good motor cycle cover is your best bet. Though keeping it tight to the bike with bungees would probably be a good idea and securing the bottom so spray does not infiltrate if you are hauling the bike behind the vehicle with a rack.
Wrapping it up only took 10 minutes-ish. With a more substantial covering I would worry about visibility and blocking tail lights.

Nice and not what I expected to see, Buck, plastic wrapping !
I will be ready to try that when I travel in July.

Back