Traveling home from vacation with Giant ebike. Rain in forecast

Nice and not what I expected to see, Buck, plastic wrapping !
I will be ready to try that when I travel in July.
4 hour trip rained hard for the entire first half. I got home and unwrapped the bike to find all electronics bone dry. Took bike for a short milk run to Stewart’s ( local store) everything works fine. Good drivetrain cleaning in morning then of for a long Sunday ride

Hey Buck, I forgot about this little doodad until I washed the ToughRoad today. My bike shop ordered it from Giant a year or so ago, I think it was about $10.

1622738209977.jpeg

1622738264360.jpeg

Hey guys! I am new to ebike, just bought my first one. Is the weather a real problem?

Everybody’s advice was to wrap it up. I’d recommend let it get wet. I agree with taking the battery off. A good quality e bike is fairly weather tight.

When we were dragging our bikes back and forth between Michigan and Florida on an open utility trailer twice a year (we now have a pair at each end), we ALWAYS managed to get into some rain, and on a few occasions a LOT of rain (the entire 2 day trip). Batteries were stored inside the vehicle for security anyway, so keeping them dry was a non event. I did learn to tie a heavy duty sandwich bag over the displays after fogging one up one time. Only takes a minute, very easily done.

Bikes required a serious cleaning after arriving from the sand and crap blowing around. Gave me an excuse to clean and lube the chain and derailleur on a regular basis.....

Considering how much I have invested in my ebike, if I were to transport it on a carrier I'd have something like this. A complete cover to keep the ebike clean and dry.

Considering how much I have invested in my ebike, if I were to transport it on a carrier I'd have something like this. A complete cover to keep the ebike clean and dry.
Just make sure your lights (all of them!) and license plate are visible from behind when your done. I've seen barbecue covers used too!

If you take a good care of your bike everything should be fine.
Next time consider renting an ebike when going on a vacation maybe? We booked our last trip with the Bravofly https://bravofly.pissedconsumer.com/review.html and they helped us to get hotel deal, which included an ebike in the price. That was very helpful as we stayed on the island and ebike was an awesome way to travel around.

Last edited:
Just make sure your lights (all of them!) and license plate are visible from behind when your done. I've seen barbecue covers used too!
Light problem is easily solved with auxiliary light strips like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXH8FHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about $26. Easy to install and seem to hold up. I've had much less luck with bike covers. Still trying to figure out how to limit buffeting. Probably a lot of bungees/straps. The straps they come with are really not up to the job. Oh, and I cover wear points on bike with bubble wrap and duct tape, which helps.

Hey guys! I am new to ebike, just bought my first one. Is the weather a real problem?
Lots of great protection ideas have been posted in this old thread. Most e-bikes are fairly weather resistant to a point but some makes are better than others.

Keeping the battery safe & dry is probably the most important part of the bike you'll want to protect. Most of us here remove it during transport. If your bike has an integral battery, wrapping it with plastic wrap, as others have suggested, is always a good idea.

Other parts of the bike can be protected using a variety of readily available products. I use these arm protector sleeves to keep moisture, dirt & debris from the handlebar controls and display:

51uiqs63ljL._AC_UX679_.jpg IMG_1171b.jpg IMG_1174b.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089K2JLGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These silicone stretch lids are also handy for covering displays, seat tubes, battery compartments, etc.

P1090380bjpg.jpg P1090372b.jpg P1090371b.jpg P1090376b.jpg P1090374b.jpg
P1090378b.jpg P1090377b.jpg P1070169a.jpg P1070173a.jpg

Light problem is easily solved with auxiliary light strips like these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YXH8FHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for about $26. Easy to install and seem to hold up. I've had much less luck with bike covers. Still trying to figure out how to limit buffeting. Probably a lot of bungees/straps. The straps they come with are really not up to the job. Oh, and I cover wear points on bike with bubble wrap and duct tape, which helps.
Agreed! Light problems, and the plate visibility issue, are easily resolved. The harder part it seems, is just recognizing/realizing the issue is present. Speaking for my own experience, it wasn't until I was following a car with completely blocked brake lights (for miles!) that it dawned on me to check my own. Sure enough, they weren't much different than the ones on the car I had been following, and swearing at, for miles!

Back