Transporting a Stromer ST - 1

are fenders an issue with using this rack?
The rack does clamp down on the fender. It will scratch your fender. I put a bath towel on the plastic piece and use bungy cords to secure. I will can take a picture if you would like to see it. (I won't be home until Thursday.

I had this pic on my phone with a fat bike...no fender but you can see the piece which clamps over the tire.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 439
Last edited:
The rack does clamp down on the fender. It will scratch your fender. I put a bath towel on the plastic piece and use bungy cords to secure. I will can take a picture if you would like to see it. (I won't be home until Thursday.

I had this pic on my phone with a fat bike...no fender but you can see the piece which clamps over the tire.

Thank you! It s as I imagined...I'll have to look into it a bit more, but for the few times I have to transport the bike, perhaps pulling the front fender may be an option...not the one I would choose, but at least it seems an option. And , there may be others like some padding, etc

I've used this style of rack on our metro buses here in Seattle with fenders with no issues. You just have to make sure to front wheel ratchet is actually on the tire just to the front of the fender. Mind you this with my other commuter - non e-bike.

Thank you! It s as I imagined...I'll have to look into it a bit more, but for the few times I have to transport the bike, perhaps pulling the front fender may be an option...not the one I would choose, but at least it seems an option. And , there may be others like some padding, etc
I have a fender on my Giant Cypress...I put the clamp over the fender...the damage to the fender is cosmetic but it does scratch it. When I haul my wife's Trek I have to use the bath towels around the climb. She will not allow scratches.

I have also hauled a friends bike with a fender and we put the clamp in front of the fender and used a Velcro strap around the clamp and tire to prevent the clamp from moving into the fender. Worked ok but probably more effort than it was worth. No fender or the bath towels probably work the best with this style rack.

The Kuat looks impressive - wouldn't a work stand be a handy thing to have IF you needed it - but how does it work after removing the battery and front wheel to lessen the weight?

The Kuat looks impressive - wouldn't a work stand be a handy thing to have IF you needed it - but how does it work after removing the battery and front wheel to lessen the weight?

looks like my next project and I think it is doable...not much of a fan of putting bikes inside of cars, but if one is careful, it can be done and I have done so on more than one occasion...removing the front wheel would be key and I hadn't thought of that as simple as it seems...thank you!

I use the Kuat 4 bike carrier with a Stromer ST-1, one road bike and two mountain bikes. The rack is rated for 60 pound bikes as long as you have a solid 2" hitch.

I transport fendered Stromers all the time with the 1UPUSA rack. We throw 1" foam pipe wrap over the sides of the arms. Very secure and no damage. We like racks that do not touch frames.

Thank you 86...those racks look awesome and the fact that you can buy a "single" is also a nifty point; along with the foam pipe wrap, it seems a pretty good way to go. And storing it sees a big plus!! Thanks again

I have a 2 inch with the thule and I carry 2 stromers with no problems. I am looking to fing a 4 bike since we bought 2 more haibikes (e mountain bikes)

Curious, I have an ST2 that I recently purchased... Which Thule bike carrier are you using? I was informed that the Kuat NV would work the best, but of course that bike rack isn't cheap~ But it's a worthwhile investment

i believe the T2 or the new thule easy fold are the only ones rated heavy enough for ebikes

it seems you have to buy the most expensive rack for each brand in order to get the highest weight ratings which we need with the ebikes

so kuats biggest, most expensive- not sure the name of it
thule t2 or easy fold
yakima holdup
1 up super duty

i think in the accessories thread a guy talked about modifying a motorcycle rack, that worked and was cheaper

as you look check the weight ratings for each slot

I transport fendered Stromers all the time with the 1UPUSA rack. We throw 1" foam pipe wrap over the sides of the arms. Very secure and no damage. We like racks that do not touch frames.

we have just purchased fenders bikes. if possible, could you please post a photo of your foam pipe work around for the 1upUSA?

Thanks

I'm using a Spinder Hawk standard bike rack on the towing hook of my car. It can carry max 75 kg. but I'm only using it for the Stromer, never an extra bike. On the attached pictures you can see how it fits. I'm taking the battery, extra lock and sadle off to reduce weight and limited the chance of theft. It's quit stable, although Belgium roads can be pretty shitty at times. Only thing which bother me is that the controls catch full wind / dust when driving. When I park it, I lock it up and hope for the best.
I've also noticed it needs a good clean up after it's been on the car for a while.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is the best way to transport such an expensive bike, but I do want to enjoy other parts of the country/neighboring countries as well, so it will have to do.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
IMG_1672_zpsnmyrztbl.jpg

Back