Trail App?

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
I did a search and didn’t really find what I wanted. It looks like most of the app discussions center on apps that hook up to your bike. I’m looking for an app that shows bike trails and helps you navigate them. I downloaded one called Alltrails. It’s ok but I’m wondering if there is something better. Free is nice of course but I would pay for one if it was really good.

Google maps works for me. I go to get directions, enter bike as mode of travel, enter point A to B.
Displays map & an elevation profile. I have a Magellan cycling GPS unit, but seldom need it. .
Cycling trails will be shown in green lines

I've never been happy with the map detail on any of the so called trail apps. As a result, I make my own .GPX files from Google Earth imagery. I modify them with Garmin's Basecamp software and upload the files to my Garmin GPS units that have pre loaded quality topo maps. It takes a little time but I enjoy the process. Using Google Earth imagery gives me a great perspective of the area I plan to ride. I've made files for all the trails I ride regularly in the northeastern US.

I've never been happy with the map detail on any of the so called trail apps. As a result, I make my own .GPX files from Google Earth imagery. I modify them with Garmin's Basecamp software and upload the files to my Garmin GPS units that have pre loaded quality topo maps. It takes a little time but I enjoy the process. Using Google Earth imagery gives me a great perspective of the area I plan to ride. I've made files for all the trails I ride regularly in the northeastern US.
Just curious, I like your setup for using the Garmin to route everything. How did you manage to have both the stock computer (I'm guessing the SPH or the Kiox) and the Garmin mounted at the same time? Do you just use a handlebar clip?

I didn't realize that you could make your own .GPX files from Google Earth! Pretty cool :)

My bike doesn't have a OEM computer. It just has a basic display which will not perform any navigational functions except speed & distance. Being an engineer, I like a lot of data in front of me when I ride. I use Jones H bars which have a lot of space to mount my gadgets:

IMG_0592a.jpg

I use two Garmin GPS units, one to display a map and the other for statistics. This saves the effort of switching screens on a single GPS and everything is available at a glance. It certainly isn't a "minimalist" approach and I get a lot of funny looks & questions about all the gadgets. 🤪

Actually, you can't build a .GPX file directly in Google Earth. You first make a .KML or .KMZ file in GE and import it into another program to create the .GPX file. I use Garmin's free Basecamp software: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/

The advantage to building you own files is you get to choose the information you need and exclude the rest. Fine location details can be added which aren't available with most nav apps. In my case, it gives me something to do in the off season when I'm not riding.

Once you create the .KMZ file in GE, it's an easy 2 step process to import it into Basecamp and then upload it to a GPS. There are many programs available that will let you do this. I use Basecamp since it works well with my Garmin GPS receivers.

This is a screen shot of a file I created using this scheme. It's a section of the C&O Canal and parallel WMRT trails (magenta) in western Maryland near Hancock. Some of the waypoints overlap until you zoom in on the GPS screen:

1631967448614.png

Last edited:
My bike doesn't have a OEM computer. It just has a basic display which will not perform any navigational functions except speed & distance. Being an engineer, I like a lot of data in front of me when I ride. I use Jones H bars which have a lot of space to mount my gadgets:

View attachment 100314

I use two Garmin GPS units, one to display a map and the other for statistics. This saves the effort of switching screens on a single GPS and everything is available at a glance. It certainly isn't a "minimalist" approach and I get a lot of funny looks & questions about all the gadgets. 🤪

Actually, you can't build a .GPX file directly in Google Earth. You first make a .KML or .KMZ file in GE and import it into another program to create the .GPX file. I use Garmin's free Basecamp software: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/basecamp/

Once you create the .KMZ file in GE, it's an easy 2 step process to import it into Basecamp and then upload it to a GPS. There are many programs available that will let you do this. I use Basecamp since it works well with my Garmin GPS receivers.

This is a screen shot of a file I created using this scheme. It's a section of the C&O Canal and parallel WMRT trails in western Maryland near Hancock. Some of the waypoints overlap until you zoom in on the GPS screen:

View attachment 100323
You must make for one excellent riding partner 👍

Being an engineer, I like a lot of data in front of me when I ride.
Me, too, for identical reasons. All my needs are served with a smartphone running several apps and the e-bike display for a quick reference.

I was thinking a lot about buying a Garmin and decided that would be overkill, especially as I'm getting all the data from my Specialized e-bikes right on the smartphone.

Me, too, for identical reasons. All my needs are served with a smartphone running several apps and the e-bike display for a quick reference.

I was thinking a lot about buying a Garmin and decided that would be overkill, especially as I'm getting all the data from my Specialized e-bikes right on the smartphone.
I see quite a few riders using their smartphone for running nav apps. Unfortunately for me, I find it too difficult to see while riding in bright sun. The font size is sometimes difficult for my old eyes to read as well. The biggest problem though is it's difficult to load the many waypoints I use while trail riding. I do carry my phone though and use some apps but mostly when I'm not riding.

I did a search and didn’t really find what I wanted. It looks like most of the app discussions center on apps that hook up to your bike. I’m looking for an app that shows bike trails and helps you navigate them. I downloaded one called Alltrails. It’s ok but I’m wondering if there is something better. Free is nice of course but I would pay for one if it was really good.
For finding and navigating "real" MTB trails with my phone, I'm partial to Trailforks (link to website version of their map). In my experience - albeit mostly in my region (New England) - the app is easy to learn and use, and trail systems are accurately laid out. Its GPS tracking works well on my Android, and because it's a volunteer-run outfit that (kind of) supports eMTB access to MTB trails, I purchased the premium version.

Trailforks tends to focus on singletrack, however, and sometimes my explorations take me to ATV trails, fire/logging roads, etc. that aren't shown on that app. For those, I've found that apps with maps that use Open Street Maps and/or Open Cycle Maps as their basis are the most comprehensive. OSM/OCM are somewhat akin to Wikipedia in that they're "...created by people like you and free to use under an open license." I've actually made some edits when I saw inaccuracies. There is an app called "OsmAnd" that allows for offline use, but the free version seems clunky to me, and its base map layer is difficult to decipher.

I've never tried OsmAnd's paid version because the free version of the MyTrails app, which seems to only be available for Android phones, works well enough for my purposes. It has multiple map layers available - I find the 4UMaps option, which is based on OSM/OCM, to be the easiest to read by far, with thick red lines on white and light green backgrounds. Pasted below is a wide screenshot showing its depiction of systems surrounding me - when you zoom in, it shows most trails' names, as well (second screenshot). The MyTrails app also does a good job of tracking my rides, though I still prefer using Trailforks' tracking, even when riding trails they don't show.

1631977905073.png

1631978404720.png

The pic above is pretty awesome of all the electronics on the bike. What’s the round device mounted above the gps unit? A camera? There is a lot of cool looking maps some of you have created. I am a retired land surveyor so I have used and still use Google Earth some, and I know how to use KMZ files. For what I’m doing I want something pretty simple. We will mostly stick to trails, streets and roads with our bikes. I’m looking for something that shows the trails so I don’t wander to far off and get lost.

It
The pic above is pretty awesome of all the electronics on the bike. What’s the round device mounted above the gps unit?

It's a 12000 lumen floodlight I use for tunnels and night trail riding.

P1060986a.jpg

It has a self contained battery that recharges via the USB port on the bike display. It also removes easily for portable use.

That’s a serious light, i have a couple of Surefire flashlights that I thought were bright.

I really like TrailForks. Lots of detail and local input.
3BDAFE57-372A-4F0F-BE8E-8DB42D8E53D4.png

Last edited:
I see quite a few riders using their smartphone for running nav apps. Unfortunately for me, I find it too difficult to see while riding in bright sun. The font size is sometimes difficult for my old eyes to read as well. The biggest problem though is it's difficult to load the many waypoints I use while trail riding. I do carry my phone though and use some apps but mostly when I'm not riding.
There are two strong points of a bike GPS computer for sure: long battery life and durability. Also, button operated Garmins or Wahoos can be operated in gloves.

Back