Toughest Mid Drive Chain for 12spd Mountain bike

Ken Shopken

Region
USA
Is the KMC model e12 the strongest chain available for mid drive conversions on 12 speeds?

I have been reading in the forum archives of multiple chain, cluster, pawl and derailer failures on stronger mid drives.

I plan on putting the ToSeven 1000w / 160nm mid drive in my current fat tire, mountain bike build. I am left to wonder if the drivetrain will even endure it.

Maybe the ToSeven 750w version will survive, significantly longer.

Not so sure about the KMC e chains. On my Earth Trex (unlocked Ananda 48v motor) I stretched the KMC e9 around circa 800 klms when it started skipping in 6th gear then got worse from there. Sixth became unusable and my LBS changed the chain for free.

In contrast the SRAM GX chain on my Frey Beast (60v/1800 watts/240nm) hasn’t suffered the same fate at the same klms. The GX chain is a solid pin chain compared to the higher end chains which tend to be hollow pin. The torque of some e-bikes will crush the pins in a hollow pin chain.

Ninety nine percent of the time I ride both bikes on the lowest assistance levels but do ride a fair bit standing on the pedals - taking off from traffic lights, up hills etc.

Not so sure about the KMC e chains. On my Earth Trex (unlocked Ananda 48v motor) I stretched the KMC e9 around circa 800 klms when it started skipping in 6th gear then got worse from there. Sixth became unusable and my LBS changed the chain for free.

In contrast the SRAM GX chain on my Frey Beast (60v/1800 watts/240nm) hasn’t suffered the same fate at the same klms. The GX chain is a solid pin chain compared to the higher end chains which tend to be hollow pin. The torque of some e-bikes will crush the pins in a hollow pin chain.

Ninety nine percent of the time I ride both bikes on the lowest assistance levels but do ride a fair bit standing on the pedals - taking off from traffic lights, up hills etc.
Good point on the hollow pin types of chain for an e bike. I will ck out the SRAM GX too.

Back