Torque settings for through axles, Turbo Vado 4 SL?

sodoff

Region
United Kingdom
Nothing in the user manual, but does anyone happen to know what the torque settings for the through axles should be?
When I got my Sirrus Elite Carbon a few years back I had to e-mail Specialized, and was surprised that the torque setting for the hex key should be 15Nm. That's pretty tight!
The Vado uses a Torx key, and I'm wondering what the torque should be.

Nothing in the user manual, but does anyone happen to know what the torque settings for the through axles should be?
When I got my Sirrus Elite Carbon a few years back I had to e-mail Specialized, and was surprised that the torque setting for the hex key should be 15Nm. That's pretty tight!
15nm

Attachments

• VadoSL Torque Specs.png
    VadoSL Torque Specs.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 527
My Creo has what I'd call a "faux" quick release lever for the through axles. I got a flat a while back and could not loosen it until I borrowed a hammer from a guy driving by with his pickup truck and a tool kit!

My Creo has what I'd call a "faux" quick release lever for the through axles. I got a flat a while back and could not loosen it until I borrowed a hammer from a guy driving by with his pickup truck and a tool kit!

Yeah kahn - I was going to buy it until you told that story. Frustrating. Have you changed a flat since?

Yeah kahn - I was going to buy it until you told that story. Frustrating. Have you changed a flat since?
Unfortunately, I have had to change yet another flat. I hand tightened after that incident. I also went with different, supposedly more durable tires. I had gotten about 4 or 5 flats on the original Specialized tires. Now on some Panaracer something-or-other! Hand tightening works and I check periodically.

I had a Vado sl that took a 6mm Allen, not a torx. I kept a long Allen in by saddle bag with a tube and patch kit. My Creo has, as Kahn said, a lever arm in the bolt head. It’s about the same length as my Allen key for the VSL was and I’m careful to get it “tight but not too tight”. So far, so good with changing a couple of flats on the creo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have had to change yet another flat. I hand tightened after that incident. I also went with different, supposedly more durable tires. I had gotten about 4 or 5 flats on the original Specialized tires. Now on some Panaracer something-or-other! Hand tightening works and I check periodically.

I purchased tire liners and so far - no flats. Does add a bit of weight but that's another advantage of having eBike. :)

Guys: 10 Nm will do, trust me :) 12 Nm max. 15 Nm is an overkill.
Which reminds me of an idiocy I committed quite recently. After I collected my Vado SL from my brother (who wanted to try it), I had to remove the front wheel for transporting the bike. And later I tightened the through axle by hand (fingers!), promising to myself I would tighten it properly the morning after.

Which I didn't.
Rode for 20 km on a hand-tightened axle! Shudder to think what could have happened...

Back