Torque sensor seems optimized for higher gears

Some ebikes clearly implement torque-sensing assist better than others. Surface 604 did a great job on my lowly hub-drive with dropout sensor.

Totally natural assist in all 10 gears at all 9 levels. Slight surging only when I'm in way too low a gear for conditions. Add a progressive throttle with instant added power at all levels, and you have a very versatile power delivery system.

Not a fancy mid-drive, to be sure, but it does everything I need in my hilly and often high-traffic area and does it well. No electrical problems in 2,200 miles.

Another thing to try is to start rolling the bike and to pedal backwards when starting it.

Controllers on torque sensor bikes don't like spikes. That means smooth pedaling technique is the way to go. Focus on pulling back and up with grippy pedals and on pushing forward at the top. Avoid stomping down left and right. When it is right it will feel like swimming with scuba flippers, you will know it when you feel it, it is not like stomp dancing with clod hoppers. The bike will deliver much more power efficiently. Down shift to accelerate and keep cadence high, rev up before shifting up - just like with a sports car or motorcycle. Imagine the sound of a motorcycle accelerating through the gears. That is you. Never lug it. Smooth revs on the total circle of pedaling = No spikes.
So true..
The other day at the end of ride I was tired and started stomping a bit. The bike shut down and the display showed an FU2 error code. When referencing the owners manual I found this. . . 🙃
Screenshot_20240210_145012_Drive~4.jpg

FU2 error code
I love it!

I need to do something that I don't want to do. I broke a bike's frame. And got a warranty frame the next day from Marin here in town. They has shipped the first one with the wrong seat post minimum insertion line and that cracked the frame. Yesterday I finished moving all the old parts and motor over to the new frame, with the correct seat post. Now the display comes on but neither pedal assist or walk assist work. I did it all through frame, that means no connectors, just solder. So, now I need to take it apart and re-solder. I need to use that bike on a big climb tomorrow with a 12.5% grade.

I wonder if anyone has a minimum insertion line tattooed on their dipstick?

Back