Torque Sensor issue?

Kooler

Occasionally, on my Leisure (torque sensor upgrade) when I turn the pedals the motor doesn't engage and I hear a click, click ,click coming from the crank. If I push the throttle, the motor takes off and then the pedal assist starts to work again. Has anyone else had this happen? Also, I would need to know what type (link) of crank removal tool would be used on Rize bikes.

As per the crank tool.

Is there a piece of iron stuck to one of the magnets? Something is touching that should not be. It is a weird problem.

Is there a piece of iron stuck to one of the magnets? Something is touching that should not be. It is a weird problem.
No. This bike doesn't have magnets. The torque sensor is in the crank and that's where the clicking is coming from.

If that's the case, and assuming I was doing the work on the bike, that's where I would start.

Just curious, what would you like them to do?

How long have you been waiting for an answer?

Just curious, what would you like them to do?

How long have you been waiting for an answer?
I spoke to a gal at Rize by phone on Monday. I explained the issue to her. She told me I should send them a video of the issue. I told her it was intermittent and that I couldn't be riding my bike with my phone in my hand to record it if it happened. She then told me to send a detailed email and she would pass it on to warranty, which I did. When I hear from them, I'm going to call them to find out firstly, if there actually a service center in the province and if not then to send me a torque sensor and advise as to who should do the work so as to not void the warranty.

I spoke to a gal at Rize by phone on Monday. I explained the issue to her. She told me I should send them a video of the issue. I told her it was intermittent and that I couldn't be riding my bike with my phone in my hand to record it if it happened. She then told me to send a detailed email and she would pass it on to warranty, which I did. When I hear from them, I'm going to call them to find out firstly, if there actually a service center in the province and if not then to send me a torque sensor and advise as to who should do the work so as to not void the warranty.
Got it! It has the Bafang Bottom Bracket Torque Sensor. https://www.ebay.com/itm/393292061715?hash=item5b92089c13:g:Fl8AAOSwKUFgkGKf And it does sound like it is bad. If you rotate fragile bits on the handlebar away from the top of the bike you can then flip the bike upside down on some carpet or cardboard to record the clicking sound.

Be sure to buy a torque sensor with the Isis splines as in the Rize If you go that route. Pic here…
@Bubba zanetti! Good work. I did not know it was splined. He will then need the Park Tool CCP-44 puller just as you mentioned before when it went over my head that it is the Octalink/Isis drive and NOT square taper. https://www.parktool.com/product/crank-puller-for-splined-cranks-ccp-44
Thanks.

Thanks for all your info guys. I'm still dealing with Rize on this. Before they send out any parts, they want a video of the issue so I guess that's the next project. I'll keep you posted.

@Bubba zanetti! Good work. I did not know it was splined. He will then need the Park Tool CCP-44 puller just as you mentioned before when it went over my head that it is the Octalink/Isis drive and NOT square taper. https://www.parktool.com/product/crank-puller-for-splined-cranks-ccp-44
Thanks.
Thanks.
I just found a video of the installation of this torque sensor. It's for a mid drive motor. The Rize Leisure is a hub drive Bafang motor and the torque sensor is located in the crank.

@Kooler, It is much like this but your crank arms are splined and not the typical square taper and shown here, otherwise the procedure is the same:

Occasionally, on my Leisure (torque sensor upgrade) when I turn the pedals the motor doesn't engage and I hear a click, click ,click coming from the crank. If I push the throttle, the motor takes off and then the pedal assist starts to work again. Has anyone else had this happen? Also, I would need to know what type (link) of crank removal tool would be used on Rize bikes.

I wound up being directed to Craig at Rize and he requested a video of the clicking sound in the crank area. I provided him with a video and he then suggested I try tightening the pedals and crank arms. After I informed him that it was still happening after I did that, he said that Rize was sending me a new PAS, which they did. Has anyone actually ever replaced one of these on a Rize Leisure?

Attachments

• PAS.jpg
    PAS.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 456
I wound up being directed to Craig at Rize and he requested a video of the clicking sound in the crank area. I provided him with a video and he then suggested I try tightening the pedals and crank arms. After I informed him that it was still happening after I did that, he said that Rize was sending me a new PAS, which they did. Has anyone actually ever replaced one of these on a Rize Leisure?
I have a Summer 2020 Rize Leisure and the torque sensor started failing after a few months (about 1200kms). In my case, the sensor started to become erratic, working occasionally, and eventually only the throttle worked. I live in Sechelt, but managed to ride my bike into Vancouver to have it repaired. I had emailed them a video and also brought my Leisure to their Richmond store. They agreed to replace it, but they could not do the installation, as they didn't employ any service personnel. Instead, I took the bike and the new torque sensor they gave to an e-bike store in Kits, where they swapped out the torque sensor within 24 hours. Rize promptly reimbursed me for the labour cost ($50) via e-transfer after I emailed them a copy of the receipt. This is the same torque sensor as the attached picture in your above post. Note that this model does not have Isis splines as someone had suggested.

A side note, the handlebar mounted push pad control thingee was also replace by Rize on my Lesure when I was there, as it was beginning to malfunction. Since it was simple to replace, they did it for me on the spot.

Wow! I'd say Canadians are alot hardier than us lazy Americans. Looked at your route to Kitt....that's a loong 70 mi.

I have a Summer 2020 Rize Leisure and the torque sensor started failing after a few months (about 1200kms). In my case, the sensor started to become erratic, working occasionally, and eventually only the throttle worked. I live in Sechelt, but managed to ride my bike into Vancouver to have it repaired. I had emailed them a video and also brought my Leisure to their Richmond store. They agreed to replace it, but they could not do the installation, as they didn't employ any service personnel. Instead, I took the bike and the new torque sensor they gave to an e-bike store in Kits, where they swapped out the torque sensor within 24 hours. Rize promptly reimbursed me for the labour cost ($50) via e-transfer after I emailed them a copy of the receipt. This is the same torque sensor as the attached picture in your above post. Note that this model does not have Isis splines as someone had suggested.

A side note, the handlebar mounted push pad control thingee was also replace by Rize on my Lesure when I was there, as it was beginning to malfunction. Since it was simple to replace, they did it for me on the spot.
I see the photo is square taper.

Back