torque sensing bottom bracket!

gujer911

okey guys i am thinking about taking off my trusty bbs02 from my 20'' mosso folder and go for bafang hub motor setup with torque sensing bottom bracket kit,
reason, simple, i just want to experience the torque sensing ebike at minimum cost!
will try to use the current 52v pack,
any tips or ideas how i should go ahead with it?
appreciate u guys.

I have some first hand experience I can share. :cool:

I have several new DIY projects on the go and look forward to sharing them when complete here to my EBR friends. On my main road bike I did try a low cost (under $30CDN) PAS to have the experience and as a 'spare' that would be easy to install if I ever had an issue with my main torque sensor BB. It worked, taught me a lot about the Cycle Analyst I just installed and what I could do with it, good learning experience.

Previous to that I have only ever ridden my Bionx ebikes which are all torque sensors built into the rear hub motor. I really do prefer the torque sensor ride.

First, here is a link to the shop I purchase from and their PAS and Torque Sensors models:

The model I went with for my setup was:

Because the cable exits the left side there was no need to drill any holes in my bottom bracket, peace of mind for sure. I had to learn how to change a bottom bracket (youtube is your friend, lol) and buy the simple tools needed to the do the change myself - could have went to my LBS but I'm setting up my own full shop at home to do all my own bike/ebike projects as a fun hobby.

The kit I purchased came with 165mm cranks. Previously I always just used the 175mm cranks the bikes I purchased came with. I discovered I really like the 165mm cranks, especially for road riding, as I now spin at a 5-10rpm higher cadence. You can purchase 175mm cranks if needed in addition to the sensor, for example.

The setup I did was plug and play into the Cycle Analyst and a few settings there, I was done. I recall from reading the user guide you can use a BB Torque sensor like this for basically any controller, you just need to match up the pin wiring properly and the setup within the controller - example 5V feed, 1.5V at 0 torque up to 3.5V for maximum torque, etc.

If your budget permits and your setup will work with a Cycle Analyst I highly recommend it - (if you don't have it already) - after seeing CA's in countless youtube video's I was sold on it and couldn't be happier. It may be the piece that lets you easily connect your new BB torque sensor into it and then it connects to your controller/motor making the magic happen.

Real world experience - Awesome. With the CA I switch to the Human Watts screen and this model is able to measure torque applied from both peddles (more accurate than models that are one side only or chain tension measuring) and it's a 18 pole PAS to note for how quickly it engages/disengages. During my rides I see my cadence, how many watts I'm pushing on flats and up hills, average for the ride, total watts generated, etc.

Most of all (sorry if I'm a little long winded here, haven't been on EBR for a while and great to be back) the actual experience is very smooth, accurate and feels 'super human'. For anyone who has ridden a Bionx torque sensor based setup, it's as good/better than that experience.

My setup happens to be a 2WD setup - BB to CA, CA through a Grin splitter cable to 2 PhaseRunner controllers and then a hub motor in each wheel. A hard push down on the pedals and both motors throttle up beautifully together, even better than I had hoped when I designed this setup.

Any questions please reply or pm me of course. In close, measure your BB, make sure you have the tools to do the change yourself or a LBS to go to, look at the main 3 to 4 brand offerings, make sure you have enough cable length or get extensions where needed and most of all, enjoy feeling like superman when you have the install done and go riding.

Cheers
Shaun

hi cdn shawn,
thanks for this thorough indepth on this new itch i got,
yeah i really dig what these grintech guys offering but i just looked up this kit by lunacycle and i m waiting for their reply cause i wanna use my current 52v pack, and also like to have throttle handy,
but lets see when they gonna have that in stock,
under 500 bucks not bad at all i fink!!

the 52v version is also available on amazon for some reason but not yet on lunacycle!!!
i would prefer to go with lunacycles than freaking amazon when it comes to components my life depends on!!!

You're on a great path. One note to share that I learned in my research - most Torque Sensor BB's are limited up to 52V setups. I have read stories about those running 72V and 84V setups - blowing their Torque Sensors. Don't have exact details as to 'why' - just wanted to pass along the insight to know to check for these details when designing your solution, and any possible thoughts of going to 72V for example in the future.

Good luck!

hi cdn shawn,
thanks for this thorough indepth on this new itch i got,
yeah i really dig what these grintech guys offering but i just looked up this kit by lunacycle and i m waiting for their reply cause i wanna use my current 52v pack, and also like to have throttle handy,
but lets see when they gonna have that in stock,
under 500 bucks not bad at all i fink!!

the 52v version is also available on amazon for some reason but not yet on lunacycle!!!
i would prefer to go with lunacycles than freaking amazon when it comes to components my life depends on!!!

While I love the concept of the TSDZ2 (torque sensing), I dont recommend it.

WIth stock software. it left alot to be desired, it worked but was just crude. I did put opensource software on it and it was MUCH better. Unfortuantely after less than 1k miles, the bearings had so much slop (grabbing BB spindle and moving it up/down) that I took it off and threw it in the trash.

You're on a great path. One note to share that I learned in my research - most Torque Sensor BB's are limited up to 52V setups. I have read stories about those running 72V and 84V setups - blowing their Torque Sensors. Don't have exact details as to 'why' - just wanted to pass along the insight to know to check for these details when designing your solution, and any possible thoughts of going to 72V for example in the future.

Good luck!

If using greater than a 52v battery, then you need to have you own voltage regulator supplying voltage to the torque sensor as the voltage from the CA will be too high.

Thanks for the feedback on using the ERider BB/Torque sensor. Im planning a build which will use it.

While I love the concept of the TSDZ2 (torque sensing), I dont recommend it.

WIth stock software. it left alot to be desired, it worked but was just crude. I did put opensource software on it and it was MUCH better. Unfortuantely after less than 1k miles, the bearings had so much slop (grabbing BB spindle and moving it up/down) that I took it off and threw it in the trash.
i wonder why manufacturer didn't push the controller over 20amps!!!
yeah more power means more stretching...

You can see my build and test ride here. Pretty impressed with the 750w version. Still have a few issues to work out.

Back