Torque or Cadence -- which do I have?

McGene

Region
USA
I'm not sure if I have a torque or cadence sensor. I think it's cadence because my bike is a 2018 RAD model and I'm under the impression that torque sensors are showing up on newer models.
However, when I pedal at different rates, I notice that the wattage changes -- if I stop pedaling, the wattage goes to zero.
Anyway, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks!

Thank you for the confirmation.
thinking about moving to a torque sensor.
any recommendations

Are you going to buy and install a torque sensor on your existing ebike?

Thank you for the confirmation.
thinking about moving to a torque sensor.
any recommendations
You would need the torque sensor (obviously) and a controller and display to go along. Might Even need a different motor (that would be compatible with motor controller)

Best bet is to contact Grin at ebikes.ca, they have a video on converting a Rad to torque sensor

I'm not sure if I have a torque or cadence sensor. I think it's cadence because my bike is a 2018 RAD model and I'm under the impression that torque sensors are showing up on newer models.
However, when I pedal at different rates, I notice that the wattage changes -- if I stop pedaling, the wattage goes to zero.
Anyway, I would appreciate your input.
Thanks!
What happens when you pedal at roughly the same rate but push harder — say, in a higher gear? Easier said than done, I know, but if pushing harder results in greater assist in this case, you have some form of torque-sensing assist. The experiment's best done at lower assist levels.

Conversely, if you get full assist just by ghost-pedaling (turning the pedals with no real exertion), you have simple cadence-sensing assist.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Actually I’m thinking of purchasing a new bike. For my price range and riding style (street) I’m thinking of either a Aventon or a Lectric XPress 750.

Thanks for all the feedback. Actually I’m thinking of purchasing a new bike. For my price range and riding style (street) I’m thinking of either a Aventon or a Lectric XPress 750.
Bear in mind that torque-sensing assist is much better implemented in some ebikes than others. Ditto with throttles. The ONLY way to know what you're getting is to test before you buy. The more natural-feeling the power delivery, the better.

I've ridden maybe 30 miles on my neighbor's torque-sensing 2022 or 2023 2023 or 2024 Aventon Level.2 with 5 non-zero assist levels. I'd prefer more than 5 levels and less assist in the lowest level, like I have on my 9-level Surface 604 V Rook.

But it's a good implementation overall. Ditto for the progressive on-demand thumb throttle. Decent quality overall, and Aventon has a large service network already in place.

Whatever you buy, MAKE SURE you can get it serviced locally.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeremy.
Planning on visiting my LBS this coming week and test riding an Aventon with a torque sensor.
Not sure if it will be a significant difference over my cadence sensor.
I‘m 76 and ride about 10 to 15 miles each evening Through my neighborhood which has bike lanes. So far I enjoy my old 2018 Rad, but Rad seems to be moving away from support for these older bikes. Can’t get a battery!

Thanks Jeremy.
Planning on visiting my LBS this coming week and test riding an Aventon with a torque sensor.
Not sure if it will be a significant difference over my cadence sensor.
I‘m 76 and ride about 10 to 15 miles each evening Through my neighborhood which has bike lanes. So far I enjoy my old 2018 Rad, but Rad seems to be moving away from support for these older bikes. Can’t get a battery!
I'm also 76. Bet you'll find a substantial difference in the riding experience.

Hey Jeremy,
As I promised, I test rode the Aventon and a Velotric Discover 2. Both had torque sensors and I found them easy to ride. The terrain was very level, so I did not have the experience of any hill climbing. If I'm not mistaken, the Discover 2 has the option of selecting either Cadence or Torque.
I came across an article that reviewed a number of ebikes under $2K -- and one that took top honors was the Aima Santa Monica. The reviewer loved that bike. There is a dealer near me that carries it, so I will check it out as well.
Regards,
-gene

Back