Topeak Bike racks for the Rad Rover- What works?

Joe Caronia

Hello, I am wondering if anyone has tried to install a Topeak 3-point rear rack on their Rad Rover. I love the way Topeak bags slide on and off with ease and you could take it with you. Is there any way it will work on a Rad? It doesn't look like it will work but I'm wondering if any of you guys have tried this before with any success? Also, if anyone knows of a seat mounted rack from topeak that works, I would be interested in that option as well! Thanks guys and gals! Have a great Sunday!

@Joe Caronia I've installed the Topeak Super Tourist DX rack on mine (Disc version) with the Topeak MTX TrunkBag DXP (trunk bag with built in saddlebags). Works great on a 2016 Radrover since all the mounting points were already a part of the frame. See profile pic.

Awesome, it sounds like the 2016 models accommodate the topeak rack much better then the 2015's did. I love your set up. Would you happen to know the difference between the super tourist and the explorer? Thank you for your response!

@Joe Caronia The Super Tourist has larger supports for the the side bags so they don't hit your wheel. If you are just running with a top bag, then you should be fine with the explorer.

Great, that's what I am looking for, however, did you have to get the model for fat bikes or the regular super tourist? I saw that the website gives the option.

If you go with the three point (actually 4) rack from Topeak you want the "Topeak uni super tourist fat for disk brake". Its typically around $90. They also make seat mount racks but the carrying capacity is only about 20lbs instead of around 66. The full mount rack also allows you to put a seat post mounted rear fender.

Attachments

• 49232.jpeg
    49232.jpeg
    957.6 KB · Views: 9,034
They also make seat mount racks but the carrying capacity is only about 20lbs instead of around 66. The full mount rack also allows you to put a seat post mounted rear fender.
Is that the new fender from RPB's website. I forgot where but I saw something about the newer front fender being longer than the tiny one they had before. Yours look better than the one pictured on their website.

Yes, they front is longer rhan the picture on their website. I had to slightly bend the angle bracket thats riveted to the fender to get it to sit equal distance from the tire.

If you go with the three point (actually 4) rack from Topeak you want the "Topeak uni super tourist fat for disk brake". Its typically around $90. They also make seat mount racks but the carrying capacity is only about 20lbs instead of around 66. The full mount rack also allows you to put a seat post mounted rear fender.
Thank you for that, that is the one I ended up getting, I was having second thoughts after I bought it bacause I didn't think the rad would be 7" wide in the back?! Lol but I guess that's what it is!

I just bought a new Rad Rover step through and this is the rack system that is presently in my Amazon cart. I was wondering what you did regarding the brake light. I'm assuming it will fit on the rack but will still need an extension cable of some kind.

@Gordon71 , a little tip:
If you hover your mouse over someone's name or avatar or if you're on a mobile device and click their avatar or name, you should be able to see some of the stats for that person. hfk2 doesn't appear to have been on the site since 6/12/17 and there's a good chance he might not reply.:)

@Gordon71 , a little tip:
If you hover your mouse over someone's name or avatar or if you're on a mobile device and click their avatar or name, you should be able to see some of the stats for that person. hfk2 doesn't appear to have been on the site since 6/12/17 and there's a good chance he might not reply.:)
Thanks for the tip. I had noticed it was a rather old thread but it was also the only one to address my particular problem. In the end I think I found a solution in an 600mm 4 prong extension on Amazon. Will find out after it gets here in a couple of days.

I also have the Topeak Uni Super Tourist on my two 2016 Radrover with the quick track MTX DXP trunk bags. I had to add a little blue loctite to the screws the first few weeks after owning because they were working themselves out on trail riding.

I ended up removing my rear floating fender because the Topeak rack had pretty much the same coverage as the old Rad power bike floating fender.

I also have the Topeak Uni Super Tourist on my two 2016 Radrover with the quick track MTX DXP trunk bags. I had to add a little blue loctite to the screws the first few weeks after owning because they were working themselves out on trail riding.

I ended up removing my rear floating fender because the Topeak rack had pretty much the same coverage as the old Rad power bike floating fender.
Thank you. I saw the loosening screws problem so ordered some blue loctite when I ordered the rack. I just bought my rover so it has the stock fenders.

We have 2 older bikes with Topek system, so we have the bags. Our rad mins have racks offered by the company. Does anyone make a slide track I could mount to them, and use our bags on the rad bikes?

We have 2 older bikes with Topek system, so we have the bags. Our rad mins have racks offered by the company. Does anyone make a slide track I could mount to them, and use our bags on the rad bikes?
Looks like the slide is just spot welded to the frame. Probably wouldn't be too hard to remove it from one of your old racks.

I don't know of anyone offering Topeak "compatible" components. Topeak has a pretty robust name in for racks and bags and best I can tell they must protect that by forcing you to buy Topeak brand components.

It's not your cheapest option at this point, but you can swap out your Rad racks for Topeak racks. Seems like you're going to have to go with swapping the racks or getting new bags.

As someone else mentioned, if you're pretty handy there's probably a way to do what you want. I joked to someone else a few days ago that there's always duct tape. The guy responded that he liked the idea but I'm not sure he was serious.

TT

Well, I've watched many vids on what people have added to "trick" our their Rads. One guy did have an after market rail that he bought for about $99. He even admitted that was pricey and I wouldn't pay that. We have 3 bikes, 2 touring models and also a trek tandem. They all have the Topeak system. Since we are going to sell the tandem, ( a nice bike but my wife was always a bit fearful on it) I had a least one surplus rack. Rather than take off the Rad rack I bought, I just cut off the legs on the Topeak rack and it fits fine and the pack slides right on.

Back