Tool Kit

Timpo

Hi everyone,

Do you carry any tool kit? I'm asking because I've had a few instances where tool kit would've been very handy.
If you do, how do you carry them?

And what kind of tools do you carry? Just multi tools?

You can't go very far wrong with this video as a starting point:

... actually, in addition (or as a replacement) for the stuff in that video, I carry these tire levers. I also carry a small plastic box with spare quick-links, fender bolts, and rack bolts. Plus a couple of heavy-duty rubber bands, a half-dozen cable ties, and a small roll of duct tape.

On tour all of that stuff rides in the front pocket of my handlebar bag. Around home it rides in a stuff sack that is on the rear rack.

I am considering switching from my current mini pump to a Lezyne Micro Floor HV Pump.

I was really enamored with fix-it sticks, but since the Blackburn wayside has a spoke wrench and presta valve core tool I went that way. Nice thing about the Blackburn is that you can't lose the chain breaker, spoke wrench, and valve core tool as easily.

I carry the tool kit that came with my bike, plus a Swiss army style hex key set. Also have spare tube, patch kit, tire irons, CO2 pump and basic first aid kit.

I purchased a bike tool & patch kit by Bell from my local Walmart. Comes in a pouch. I also have a mini-pump and spare tube. I carry these items in my trunk bag.

I have tire levers, patch kit, spare tube, and a CO2 inflator and two cartridges. I know multi-tools are popular, but I prefer and just carry 3/4/5/6mm separate hex keys. In the past I have also carried a chain tool, spoke wrench, and a screwdriver, but I don't now (and in 40+ years of riding I have never used any of the tools on a ride).

what's the mirror for?????

... so you won't become axle dressing when a semi truck comes zooming up behind you. Seriously, the mirror can save your life, especially if you have to make a left turn on a busy street -- the odds that a car will try to pass you when you execute a left turn (and most drivers don't seem to recognize hand signals) is scary high.

About tires, no matter how puncture resistant or self sealing a tire is one day you will be stuck along the roadside with a flat tire. Maybe you live someplace well-covered by Uber but if you don't you really ought to be able to fix a flat in the field.

Sometimes you will also be caught with a slow leak which needs to be pumped up every few miles. Taking a pump lets you limp home where you can fix your tire in comfort.

I have tire levers, patch kit, spare tube, and a CO2 inflator and two cartridges. I know multi-tools are popular, but I prefer and just carry 3/4/5/6mm separate hex keys. In the past I have also carried a chain tool, spoke wrench, and a screwdriver, but I don't now (and in 40+ years of riding I have never used any of the tools on a ride).

I've never needed the spoke wrench, come to think of it.

But I certainly have had to remove a fouled chain and a valve core alongside a dusty logging road in the middle of nowhere.

I like the Blackburn Wayside "multi-tool" because it has a separate set of hex wrenches alongside the usual multi-tool tools. It even has one of those little wire thingies that maintains chain tension while you put a quick-link on the chain.

I am also a huge fan of tiny locking blade knives.

@Timpo

That mirror clips to your helmet visor or your sunglasses. I find them awesome. They are inexpensive, light, and indestructible.

You can also use it, like you said, to check places on your bike that are hard to see. But primarily it is a riding mirror.

Hi everyone,

Do you carry any tool kit? I'm asking because I've had a few instances where tool kit would've been very handy.
If you do, how do you carry them?

And what kind of tools do you carry? Just multi tools?

I carry just a multi-tool and mini-pump on each bike. Easy to fit in a trunk bag, pannier, sling bag on my back. Generally I don't carry a flat repair kit as I don't think I could repair a flat on one of my e-bikes in the field. My flat contingency plan is to call the rescue wagon (the wife with our Thule in the back of the Subaru). I also have roadside assistance on my Velosurance but not quite sure if that could be relied on a for a quick rescue.

Since I spend a lot of time commuting on my bike, my tool kit is definitely overkill for most riders. One of my panniers is almost full with spare tubes, patch kit, and tools. If I can't fix it on the side of the road, it's really friggin broke. This comes from years of commuting on my road bike, I've had more flats than I care to remember, broken chains, broken derailleurs from various causes, etc. Fortunately so far my ebike has been a gem as reliability goes.

I thought about getting an air pump and tire repair kit.. but I feel like that's a bit too much stuff to carry around since air pump is a bit too big and CO2 cartridge is expensive.

I heard Schwalbe tires are puncture resistant? my Kenda tires are pretty much done so I was thinkning about upgrading.
The mini pump in the kit I linked to, fits in the mini-pannier I also linked to. So, size is not the issue. What is the issue is, I'd hate to have to pump anything up very far with it. I'd probably just take it up to where the rims didn't touch the road when I sat on the bike, and be real careful not to bottom out on the way home.

Your Kendas are already done? Wow, how many miles have you got?

I like my Marathon Pluses. I'm a careful rider and don't have any reason to think that they have protected me from a flat, but who knows? in 1,400 miles, I haven't had one yet, but that could be good luck.

I like the Blackburn Wayside "multi-tool" because it has a separate set of hex wrenches alongside the usual multi-tool tools. It even has one of those little wire thingies that maintains chain tension while you put a quick-link on the chain.

I bought just the wire thingy from ebay from someone who makes them from old spokes, has come in very useful several times.

Curious, if you do not carry a flat repair kit, what is the mini-pump for?

Seems obvious to me: a puncture that results in a slow leak or someone lets the air out of my tire at the bike rack cause they want to be jerks or I encounter another person on a bike who needs air (which has happened to me once) ....

Back