Too many threads lately, lots of new eriders

Ebiker01

A few months back, it was doable to relax and read last 2 days posts in 20-25min. and reply for some.
Now, there are 3-4x as many threads and sometimes loooong posts. Not Complaining , b/c i also wrote some looooong posts recently, just rambling.

I'm trying to limit my time on ebr 15-25minutes,2x/week . Is hard b:c we want to know the latest, greatest and so on.

And there is also maybe the most imp. aspect the camaraderie , many great people are praent through their writing here, and lots of POSITIVITY is shared ,which we all need nowadays.

How do you guys feel about the amount of info/threads generated lately and how do you use it ?

A few months back, it was doable to relax and read last 2 days posts in 20-25min. and reply for some.
Now, there are 3-4x as many threads and sometimes loooong posts. Not Complaining , b/c i also wrote some looooong posts recently, just rambling.

I'm trying to limit my time on ebr 15-25minutes,2x/week . Is hard b:c we want to know the latest, greatest and so on.

And there is also maybe the most imp. aspect the camaraderie , many great people are praent through their writing here, and lots of POSITIVITY is shared ,which we all need nowadays.

How do you guys feel about the amount of info/threads generated lately and how do you use it ?

henceforth I shall only

Ebiker01, you limit your time on this forum to 15-20 minutes, twice a week.......that's it?

I'm on this forum 15-20 minutes at a time, at least two times per day. I've changed my obsession from cars to bicycles and I'm retired, so I have lots of time to spend on this forum.....when I'm not riding my bikes. 👍

Stuck indoors with too much time on my hands EBR has provided much entertainment and kept me somewhat sane.

Ebiker01, you limit your time on this forum to 15-20 minutes, twice a week.......that's it?

I'm on this forum 15-20 minutes at a time, at least two times per day. I've changed my obsession from cars to bicycles and I'm retired, so I have lots of time to spend on this forum.....when I'm not riding my bikes. 👍
"Ebiker-100" spend 5 X more time on the bike than you do online.

First world problems, eh? It's the worst!

As Stefan says try limiting your focus to sub-forums or topics that interest you. For example, I have no idea why I'm following the Vado thread. (Although it is humorous and occasionally educational.)

I got to say, this is hands down the nicest, most genteel forum I've participated in. Everyone has their hobby horses and perspectives but, almost without exception, I find the tone respectful and helpful. Most members seem to exhibit a genuine curiosity about the lives and experiences of others. The light hand of the moderating team is testament to that. It has been a wonderful source of education and community for me during this lockdown period. Good stuff.

Last edited:
I hear ya; it's getting mighty crowded these days. So, taking a cue from Stefan Mikes, I've taken my micro-focus onto just answering questions about Yamaha e-drives.......PW only.........500 or maybe, possibly, the 400wh external battery; none of this internal battery stuff to complicate matters.............on Haibikes of the 2016 and 2017 vintage only.........fat tired (4.0 inches specifically, no 4.8's and definitely no mtb tires from 2.3" and up.........dyno hubs are okay as long as the question pertains to the Schmidt SON28 series; don't bother asking about a Shimano dyno hub. That's outside of my scope of, well, I'm not sure.

That whittles my reading time here to about 30 seconds.

Every 2 months.....

🤪

I got to say, this is hands down the nicest, most genteel forum I've participated in. Everyone has their hobby horses and perspectives but, almost without exception, I find the tone respectful and helpful. Most members seem to exhibit a genuine curiosity about the lives and experiences of others. The light hand of the moderating team is testament to that. It has been a wonderful source of education and community for me during this lockdown period. Good stuff.
Amen.

It's basically all entertainment for me. Too much? Not enough? It is what it is. I don't have to read them all, and I hardly ever read all the "I've narrowed it to 3" posts, so current increases are fine with me.

I've ridden 2500 in the last 5 months using a BBSHD and a throttle installed 80% of the time.
"Cannot help you, am a horse"* I cannot (honestly) stand the posts where users whine "oh my I cannot leave the junction without the throttle!" :D I only wonder how the whole Europe can do it... Please read it as a joyous remark and truly no offence meant.

The second type of posts I avoid are ones related to the mass-produced (stamped) overseas crap available in North America under so many "brand names"... Ah, did I mention "below $1500" before? :D

I've forgotten to mention another keyword-to-be-avoided that is "DIY". When I was in a search of my first e-bike, I was about to let an LBS convert my touring bike to a hub-drive motor. I was lucky: the shop could not start the work before one month and it was too long waiting time for me. I talked with my manager (we run a "family" type of business) and he said:
-- I wonder Stefan why you don't just buy a proper e-bike, the one designed as the e-bike. You earn enough. Don't settle with a "ghetto" solution as it simply could endanger your life; and I need you for doing the work. -- That's why I bought me a proper e-bike, even if it it was a hub-drive one.

Indeed, the intention of my post above was to say: "Read only the threads that are of interest to you".
---------------
*) Do you know this meme?
1590900902119.png

Help! help me! My car's got stolen!
I cannot help you.
I'm a horse.
🤣

"Cannot help you, am a horse"* I cannot (honestly) stand the posts where users whine "oh my I cannot leave the junction without the throttle!"...
---
The use of a throttle definitely changes the way I ride mostly at low speeds. Getting on and starting up-hill, crawling through pedestrians, crawling through vegetation, grass, single track and over rough surfaces. Best of all it helps me extend the range significantly, just like a motor cut-out does. It does change the bike from Class-1 to Class 2 but I can literally remove it in 10 mins. if someone noticed and wanted to press the matter. The throttle is also fantastic when moving fast and wanting to maintain speed, take a 5 sec. breather... every 15 to 20 seconds. :) I was riding with a Stromer chasing me and when I let him pull up alongside after about 10 minutes his 1st comment was, "MAN! You don't slow down at all on throttle!" He could ride at 30 mph in his top assist level but the throttle would only hold him at 27 mph. He had to pump constantly to stay at 30 and worse gain that 3 mph back after a rest. I was in level 3 of 9 and carrying front panniers, bar-bags, Fugoo XL, water, chair, and a battery twice the size of his.

I totally understand and agree about the low-end production ebikes, I don't think they are worth even the minimal money and try to steer people away from them. But I disagree with your choice of motors. I think mid-drives are a better set-up for ebikes. Especially anything that is going to have long legs, climb or pull/carry loads. How long does it take to change the back tire on the trail?

Last edited:
Hector, as you American say: Your Mileage May Vary.

If you tried a decent (and relatively lightweight) 250 W nominal mid-drive motor e-bike, your perception might change. Especially, new Giant e-bikes sport the "Zero Cadence" concept. You are waiting for a signal change, are on single track, grass, etc. Hold your brake, stamp on the pedal, and release the brake. The bike literally shoots from under you! High torque motors, proper low gear and you'd be really surprised how it feels. My brother almost fell off my Giant Trance E+ Pro when he tried it for the first time, such acceleration it gave. I climbed a 45 degree concrete slab from almost standstill with that e-bike!

The American are in mass a motor nation. All those coal rollers etc. The thinking is "give me a powerful motor, a throttle, and I'll conquer the world!" It is not necessarily so in cycling. Powerful hub motor means a heavy battery equals heavy bike. To accelerate the thing you need the throttle. Now, take a proper 250 W (nominal) mid-drive motor e-bike, which torque might be 80-90 Nm and the peak power could be 500+ W. A 50 lb bike with centrally located mass and proper gearing. It flies like a racing car from the standstill!

It is completely different, European, cycling oriented approach. No big brand use the hub-motor in their e-MTB. Need the speed? Try out the Turbo Vado (the best the 5.0 because of the 1.2s motor) or Trek Allant+ S.

Not to trying to convince you. I'm very happy with my hub-drive touring e-bike which is very efficient on long tours on the flat, and that's only 250 W, with 52 lbs fully equipped weight.

If you tried a decent ....
Not to trying to convince you. I'm very happy with my hub-drive touring e-bike which is very efficient on long tours on the flat, and that's only 250 W, with 52 lbs fully equipped weight.
A 250W, even 500W would shread itself with how I ride. And with a fully suspended bike a hub-motor would be like tits on a boar. It has to have both PAS and throttle and I also want to be able to control the torque and the ramp-up of torque in each of 9 power levels so as to not put undue stress on the drive train. For me it's not just about the bike weight or motor/battery combo, I need to be able to put another 120+ lbs of gear on the bike and pull a fully laden single wheel suspended trailer with another 80 lbs. A 1000W mid-drive sending it minimal torque for the situation into a 14-speed internal transmission is exactly what I need. The throttle is just the cherry on top. As you say, not trying to be rude in the least, but you couldn't possibly convince me a hub-motor would be better than a mid-drive for touring or that 250W would suffice for more than stripped-down rides. I only own or ride one bike and I wanted it to be the best all-around ebike for touring. I did 101 miles with about 2/3 load last week and only use 20Ah of a 35Ah pack I got it dialed in pretty well now for most riding conditions. Https://photos.app.goo.gl/ADgC6oyPM2gyrCq27
Ride safe.

Last edited:
I personally like a lot of activity on the forum. When it's slow it feels like entering an empty house. More activity give me choices.

It's basically all entertainment for me. Too much? Not enough? It is what it is. I don't have to read them all, and I hardly ever read all the "I've narrowed it to 3" posts, so current increases are fine with me.

Stuck indoors with too much time on my hands EBR has provided much entertainment and kept me somewhat sane.

All true statements for me. :cool:

I visit the forums several times per day, and the number of threads don't bother me. Topics are mostly well organized, folks mostly post in the appropriate threads. I find them informative and entertaining.

That said, my range of reading is pretty narrow. I read the threads pertaining to my bike (which means the Giant and the La Free threads), threads dealing with a few other brands - ones I considered before making my purchase decision because I'm interested in how others experience them. Also check out anything in the new posts that catches my interest, like pictures of rides, ebike legislation, equipment, etc.

I do read a lot of the posts from people looking to purchase bikes - mostly just once. If their parameters don't fit the bike I have experience with or knowledge of, I move on. If I think my bike night work, I share my experience and a link. I found a lot of helpful information from folks here when I was looking to buy, so I try to pay it forward.

No one HAS to read everything, and there's something here for everyone to read - it's all good
☺.

I visit the forums several times per day, and the number of threads don't bother me. Topics are mostly well organized, folks mostly post in the appropriate threads. I find them informative and entertaining.

That said, my range of reading is pretty narrow. I read the threads pertaining to my bike (which means the Giant and the La Free threads), threads dealing with a few other brands - ones I considered before making my purchase decision because I'm interested in how others experience them. Also check out anything in the new posts that catches my interest, like pictures of rides, ebike legislation, equipment, etc.

I do read a lot of the posts from people looking to purchase bikes - mostly just once. If their parameters don't fit the bike I have experience with or knowledge of, I move on. If I think my bike night work, I share my experience and a link. I found a lot of helpful information from folks here when I was looking to buy, so I try to pay it forward.

No one HAS to read everything, and there's something here for everyone to read - it's all good
☺.

Ditto for me PatriciaK.
The first log in of the day is long enough for the first cup of coffee.

The world would be a better place right now if instead of rioting and looting and burning stuff down to vent frustrations, if those people with nothing better to do than that, would come to this forum and read the threads and comment away, or even better go ride a bike to let off some steam, or maybe even buy an Ebike. All peaceful citizens welcome to post here at EBR and spend all the time reading that their little heart desires. No such thing as too many posts if it creates some diversion during lockdowns or helps someone mentally get through this extreme unemployment. Crazy times here these days. JMHO.

Back