Tire size dilemma

tolivercrash

My primary uses for my yet-to-be-purchased ebike will be a 10 mile each direction commute to work, occasional grocery shopping, fun and exercise.

My driving surfaces will be street and sidewalk. Terrain is mostly flat (North Florida) with some bridges. I don’t plan on using it off road or on the beach.

Would a bike with 20” x 4” fat street tires (no knobbies) or a larger bike with 26” be better suited for all this. I own and regularly ride bikes with full size tires, but thought that these smaller bikes (Radmini, Veego, etc.) just look like they’re more fun to ride. But if I choose to do more pedaling or if I run out of battery, will these small bikes with their wide tires be heavy and difficult to propel under human power? I’m just envisioning pedaling a bike underwater. Or is that not the case?

First of all, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to get answers. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice on this so here is my 2 cents.

As a rule, fat tires offer more rolling resistance than standard sizes. This is also true, abeit to a lesser extent, with smaller diameter wheels. Electric assist compensates for the extra drag in both cases. Without assist however, you will certainly notice the difference.

Fat tires ride better than thin so that may be a factor if you ride rough pavement. A 20 mile round trip on a single battery charge is doable with most ebikes these days so you're not likely to run out of juice.

Fat tires are heavier so be aware you'll handle some extra weight during transport, riding without assist and storage.

Another minor point to consider is the ebike laws where you live. If you plan to ride in areas where the laws are not favorable to ebikes, you might want to go for a standard size tire to increase the "stealth" factor. Fat tires make the bike look bigger, almost like a motorbike. Conventional fat tire bikes have been around for some time but most I see these days are ebikes. Again, this is a minor factor but may be something to think about if you are unclear about local laws.

I ran out of juice about 6 miles away from my house just the other day. I was very happy that I decided to get a 26 inch bike as opposed to something smaller. Because it was very hard peddling. It would be much harder with smaller wheels. Personally, my next bike will have the largest and lightest wheels I can find on the lightest frame possible. At some point, if you are using it for transportation, you may have to peddle. In my case I was having such a good time that I failed to start my return soon enough. It will happen.

Last edited:
I ran out of juice about 6 miles away from my house just the other day. I was very happy that I decided to get a 26 inch bike as opposed to something smaller. Because it was very hard peddling. It would me much harder with smaller wheels. Personally, my next bike will have the largest and lightest wheels I can find on the lightest frame possible. At some point, if you are using it for transportation, you may have to peddle. In my case I was having such a good time that I failed to start my return soon enough. It will happen.

Wise words, thank you.

I have a Rad Mini and I would not use it for a commuter bike. I like to ride it on and off pavement but 10 miles as a commuter, no. It is good for shopping etc. The geometry is a compromise between it folding and ride. I also have a full suspension mtb and only use the Mini for the store trips.

I captain a small fleet of inexpensive ebikes, mostly conversions. I recently acquired a 20" model with knobbies. The latter is like a Rad Mini but no suspension, only 36V and $900 less. I also have a 26" e-fatbike.

I prefer to ride my skinny tired e-bikes, simply for the greater joy in pedaling up an incline, helping the motor, and leaning thru a turn. I try to ride with minimal assist, and less is needed with skinny tires.

I believe my 26" fatbike pedals better than most as I have smooth tread tires and added a front derailleur. I know six miles w/o power is not bad because I've done it. I use this bike to run errands mainly. It's more easily noticed on the street, which makes it safer. I originally bought this bike for snow, but soon realized I'd rather be inside when it snows.

As for the 20" fatbike, I'm still figuring out how we'll use it.

I pedal my 26"x2" bike up to 30 miles. I only use the motor if the wind is in my face >12 mph. I think if I hit a 1' wide pothole with a 20" wheel the bike might throw me over the bars. It would sure be a jolt. I get forced into those sometimes by passing cars.

A question from an ignorant:
My e-bike is equipped with 28x1.60" (42-622, 700x42C) tyres. Will it be wrong to replace them with the 28x1.50" (40-622, 700x40C) ones?

I ask this question because I am very much attracted to the new Schwalbe Marathon e-Plus tyres but these are not made in the 1.60" size. (I like the puncture-resistance rating and low rolling resistance).

IMO, you shouldn't have any problem with the relatively small size change you're planning. I replaced the OEM 26x2.35 tires on my Pedego Platinum Interceptor with Marathon Plus 2.10 tires and the swap worked well. The only difference I noticed was a slight decrease in the speed and distance readings on my display. This is due to the slightly smaller rolling circumference of the 26x2.10 Schwalbe tires. The change you are proposing is considerably less than what I did so you may not notice any difference at all.

I really like the Schwalbe's and haven't had any tire trouble in the 2000 miles I've put on them so far.

Thank you! I forgot about the wheel circumference but as you say the difference is minor.

My primary uses for my yet-to-be-purchased ebike will be a 10 mile each direction commute to work, occasional grocery shopping, fun and exercise.

My driving surfaces will be street and sidewalk. Terrain is mostly flat (North Florida) with some bridges. I don’t plan on using it off road or on the beach.

Would a bike with 20” x 4” fat street tires (no knobbies) or a larger bike with 26” be better suited for all this. I own and regularly ride bikes with full size tires, but thought that these smaller bikes (Radmini, Veego, etc.) just look like they’re more fun to ride. But if I choose to do more pedaling or if I run out of battery, will these small bikes with their wide tires be heavy and difficult to propel under human power? I’m just envisioning pedaling a bike underwater. Or is that not the case?
My Spark Mini (20"x4" knobby tires )gets about 60km (about 37 miles) on its 48V 13ah battery in optimal conditions, and with big panniers is a great mule (that's what I've nicknamed it), as the smaller tires and semi-step-thru nature gives it a nice, low center of gravity compared to a road bike loaded with the same weight.

As long as you have battery power, you can find the sweet spot between gearing and PAS level to still get some real legwork in.

All that being said, it's a pig to ride under your own power.

Stefan those two tires are so close in size I would think that there's no problem at all. Only if the rim were a wide one and the 42c tires were at the extreme end of narrow would moving to a 40c cause a problem. If you go to Schwable's website they have a graph regarding rim width and matching it to tire widths. I suspect you will be perfectly fine though.

OP, I think the tire size and width will depend upon your prior experience and what you're comfortable with to a large degree. I've ridden my Cevelo on gravel paths that many would insist a MTB is necessary but I have 25 mm tires on a carbon road bike and felt I was fine. On streets and sidewalks I think a 700x35 tire would be good for most, but I find most on here want wider tires than I prefer so if you go with 700x40 to 45 I think you will be fine.

With my Creo I feel I can put tires on that will cover any surface and application I want except for trail and enduro riding. I can get a 42 mm tire in a 700c diameter and probably get a 650x45 or 47 in there. I could ride most XC MTB with that. But the bike also comes stock with 28 mm tires and I'm comfortable I could do 100 km+ rides and it wouldn't be an issue.

i also expect getting the Michelin A3 Protek Max tubes, which have square cross-section (to fit the rim better) and are advertised as more puncture-resistant. The delivery is to take a couple of days. The e-Plus are a novelty and the online shop has to bring the tyres themselves. As soon as the tubes and tyres are installed, I'm going for a long trip over different terrain and will report the experience.

Back