Tire Replacement Advice Needed

gil_glass

I have a RadRover that is less than a month old (88 miles). My first bike in twenty years. I love riding it, but is has spent more time parked this last week than moving.

After having the rear brakes go out heading downhill the other day and getting them readjusted, I made it a mile before a flat rear tire. Everything that I have read and the couple of bike shops that I have spoken to were not very complimentary about the Kendas that come stock.

I am looking for a tire, tube, and/or tube liner that will make the bike more dependable and a bit easier to ride. Most of my rides are my daily commute on asphalt. Then the trail ride that is a mix of paved and hard pack gravel.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have two Radrovers and I only got around 800 miles on my rear Kenda tires on both bikes because my work commuting. The front Kenda had a little bit more tread and I move the front from one bike to the rear on the other. I purchased Vee8 120tpi tires for the other bike to give them a try. I wanted the Vee8 because of I still have a 50/50 split between paved and hardpacked/singletrack trail riding and the Vee8 are suppose to be more flat resistant. I was able to ride both identical Radrovers with Kenda and Vee8 tires for a few months. I did 20 psi, Mr. Tuffy liners, Kenda 26X4 tubes, and two 2 oz bottles of Stans sealant per tire.

Vee8 Pros:
- more flat resistant, I think all the extra knobby help with that
- less rolling resistance, faster acceleration, lighter weight
- top speed is now 2-3 mph faster (downhill), I can get up to 23-25 on some downhill runs
- normal cruising speed is 1-2 mph faster, I don't have a need to use PAS 5 with Vee8
- I can reach 18-20 mph in PAS 3 on level ground and min wind compared to having to use PAS 4 with Kenda tires

Vee8 Cons:
- very soft bead, very hard to seat the tires when trying to air up (had to use 4 velcro straps when I air by hand)
- at low PSI of 15 or less the front Vee8 pull to the right, I find keeping the PSI between 20-25 eliminates this

I ended up purchasing another set of Vee8 tires and dumping the Kenda because I liked them so much.

Last edited:
I agree with your bike shop techs on the stock kendas. I decided to change to street tires since I mainly ride on all paved trails. Currently set up with a pair of Origin8 Supercells with stock tubes and Mr. Tuffy tire liners. Been riding flat free for 700 miles now.

Changing to street tires will be more efficient if you plan to ride mostly on paved roads :)

Attachments

• 20170709_162800.jpg
    20170709_162800.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 722
I agree with your bike shop techs on the stock kendas. I decided to change to street tires since I mainly ride on all paved trails. Currently set up with a pair of Origin8 Supercells with stock tubes and Mr. Tuffy tire liners. Been riding flat free for 700 miles now.

Changing to street tires will be more efficient if you plan to ride mostly on paved roads :)

Did you order them on Amazon? And have your LBS install them? How much was the install?

Sorry for the delay in updating. Ended up with the Origin8's, Mr Tuffy liners, with the Mongoose tubes. All from Amazon. My local bike shop installed them for $55.

Impressions so far are that the bike handles a bit different, but the is an amazing difference in resistance on the tires. This makes pedaling much easier.

Thanks for the insight.

Back