Thumb Throttle Attachment

Steven A Bean

The thumb throttle attachment ordered on Amazon (from a seller in China) arrived yesterday, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Size wise it fits well... the area where you place your thumb is the same width as the throttle, and the area that wraps around the throttle, although not as wide holds to the throttle well. It was a bit of a stretch to pull apart the attachment so as to fit it on the throttle, but it did not break the plastic doing so, and once on the throttle it grips the throttle well with no slippage. I could have avoided pulling it apart that much by removing the grip and sliding it on from the end of the bar, but I'm too lazy and because they were so inexpensive I ordered the two pack in case I broke the fist one with the lazy install method.

I find it a great addition to the RadRover since I'm now able to use the throttle with the thumb alone, while keeping my normal hand position on the grip while riding.

One more comment- Being that it was ordered from a supplier in China there was an estimate of 24 to 43 days for it to arrive..... but it actually arrived 12 days from the date I ordered it.

Cheers!
Screenshot_20160925-110121~01~01.png
Screenshot_20160925-105658.png
Screenshot_20160925-105718.png

I just got one of these this week. I had to grind a small amount off the inside for clearance but it only took a few seconds. It works great.

i bought these for all my bikes, love them

i did grind them down a little smaller but they work great and are super cheap

I'll have to get one for myself as my zip tie solution is less than ideal. Fun & practical to use the throttle for acceleration on the rad :)

i have quite a few bikes so bought a package of 6 or 12 i think, they dont fit perfect so think it is possible they may break in the future....

it is so cheap to get a few more and they come from china so a couple of weeks of shipping

might be worth getting a couple of extra

I ordered the same thumb throttles from Amazon for both of our Radrovers and love them. I had to trim the length and width a little bit to fit over the narrower RR twist throttle. Trimming the length help with reaching the button gear shift a little easier.

This is a must have accessory for a Rad Power Bike considering the price and benefits of having the adjustable/removable thumb throttle compared to only a twist throttle.

I had to trim the length and width a little bit to fit over the narrower RR twist throttle. Trimming the length help with reaching the button gear shift a little easier.
Looking forward to the throttle's arrival. Curious about the tool used for trimming; a hacksaw, angle grinder...? thanks

I had a pair of tin snips. Regular scissors may not be strong enough to trim the plastic thumb throttle. I didn't have a file to smooth out the sharp edges from trimming it down. I just used black electrical tape wrapped around the thumb throttle part.

Added a carbon fiber looking pad to dress it up after I trimmed it down a bit:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:

I'm really liking this little throttle attachment. Works well for my using the throttle to accelerate the rover, then pas to maintain speed. Did require cutting off a bit, but no problem with a saw and file to smooth out. Bought the 4 pack for my 2 rovers, and a couple spares. Took about 2 weeks to arrive. Happy ebiking :)

throttle-14.JPG

The above looks to be a cheaper copy of what's been around the motorcycle community for years. This version might be a bit heavier duty and ergonomically useful:
https://www.amazon.com/Crampbuster-...rd_wg=pYfPS&psc=1&refRID=TBFFJFH5FPH1WYQGKC0S

I agree with your assessment, toynut! Was considering that model at first, but I have two bikes, my partners and mine. These cheap ones take a couple weeks to arrive, but you can get 4 of them for the price of one of those. My experience over the past week is that the cheap version is quite adequate. Now, if I had a Harley, I'd probably be embarrassed :)

Back