Thudbuster of Suntour NCX suspension seatpost?

I now have two ebikes for city use. I put a Long Travel Thudbuster on the first bike and expect to get another suspension seatpost for the newer bike. The Thudbuster is pretty nice, but does not compare to the 160mm (6") of travel my mountain bike has. But it does a good job on city streets. I am wondering if the Suntour post works as well.

If anyone out there has had a chance to ride on both posts and can compare them and wants to tell me about their experience, I'd be forever grateful (or for a few days at least:)).

Thanks for any help.

PS - First bike is a Ride1Up 700, second is a Ride1Up LMT'D. Long review contrasting/comparing/commenting coming in about two weeks.

To make sure I understand your question, you're asking about a suspension seat post that will compare to a rear suspension with 6" of travel?

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that no seatpost is going to compare to a true mountain bike style suspension. What I am looking for are viewpoints from anyone who has used BOTH the Thudbuster Long Travel post as well as the Suntour NCX seatpost. I realize that there are other posts out there (Kinekt, Redshift) but they are generally more money than I want to spend. I'm cheap by nature and would love to save $50 on the Suntour post, but if it is noticeably less effective than the Thudbuster post I will spend the extra money.

I now have two ebikes for city use. I put a Long Travel Thudbuster on the first bike and expect to get another suspension seatpost for the newer bike. The Thudbuster is pretty nice, but does not compare to the 160mm (6") of travel my mountain bike has. But it does a good job on city streets. I am wondering if the Suntour post works as well.

If anyone out there has had a chance to ride on both posts and can compare them and wants to tell me about their experience, I'd be forever grateful (or for a few days at least:)).

Thanks for any help.

PS - First bike is a Ride1Up 700, second is a Ride1Up LMT'D. Long review contrasting/comparing/commenting coming in about two weeks.
I would recommend that you take a look at the Satori Animaris... best of both worlds with both a spring pre-load and elastomer.

AmazonSmile : Satori Animaris Bike Bicycle Suspension Shock Seatpost - Mountain Bike or Road Bike 31.6x350mm : Sports & Outdoors
AmazonSmile : U/N Satori ANIMARIS Damping Suspension Seatpost Mountain Road Bike Seat Post 30.9/31.6mm Seat Tube 350mm Length : Sports & Outdoors

1610586897597.png

I have both the Thudbuster Lt and The Suntour NCX right now on my 2 bikes. The Thudbuster has about 1000 miles on it, and appears to be holding up quite well. I just got the Suntour with a bike I purchased a few weeks ago, that now has about 350 miles on it. So tough to compare longevity.

I would rate them similarly for ride. Not too bad. Certainly better than a fixed seat post! Both are set up to "sag" about 1/3 of their travel. I remember the first few rides on the Thudbuster giving the impression that my rear tire was low, as all the normal vibration was gone. Suntour is the same way.

Noteworthy is that I'm an active 70, 6'2" and 315lbs. I think if I were going to buy another tomorrow, it would be the Thudbuster for it's sturdy construction and easily tuned/replaceable elastomers.

Thudbuster was purchased "used" on Amazon, likely a return due to wrong size post, for 80 bucks or something like that. It was brand new out of box when I got it. -Al

Thanks for the info AHicks. Would you say they both make the bike ride similarly smooth? I am less concerned about the longevity. If I get a few thousand miles out of it, that should cover me for half a dozen years. BTW, I'm 6' 170 lbs, so I would put less stress on it.

yes the Suntour works well as does the Animaris! i use both these post, i like the Suntour ride a lil better but i hate that the adjustment screw is in the seat post! i also think the Animaris is built more sturdy but time will tell.

Thanks for the info AHicks. Would you say they both make the bike ride similarly smooth? I am less concerned about the longevity. If I get a few thousand miles out of it, that should cover me for half a dozen years. BTW, I'm 6' 170 lbs, so I would put less stress on it.
As mentioned in my first note, I would rate them similarly for ride.

AHicks, I thought that was what you meant but the confirmation is helpful.

ElevenAD, thanks for the reply. I had seen the Animaris and wondered about how good it was (or wasn't) The rubber bumper in the center should act a little bit like a damping mechanism.

This is a good value but it didn't work for my weight class (135-140 pounds). It was way too stiff for me no matter how I adjusted it. I've read that the spring could be swapped out but I went with Redshift instead.

This is a good value but it didn't work for my weight class (135-140 pounds).
It was way too stiff for me no matter how I adjusted it. I've read that the spring could be swapped out but I went with Redshift instead.
Thanks for your feedback... the Redshift shock stop Seatpost is a nice unit. ;)
Regarding the Satori, various springs are available to adjust the preload flexibility.

99-143lbs AmazonSmile : Spring for ANIMARIS(2.8mm) : Sports & Outdoors
144- 187lbs AmazonSmile : Spring for ANIMARIS(3.2mm) : Sports & Outdoors

1610639630144.png

Thats a lot of money for a freaking spring . I'd think Ace would have something for $3 that would do the same thing .
I have the Suntour and it's a great post .

The Suntour also has various springs.

My son just bought one for his MTN bike and loves it. It is well built but a bit on the heavy side. He was able to pick one up from Amazon UK for $65, shipping was about $5. Received it in less than 10 days. It is returnable to Amazon here in the U.S..

Anybody know the size of the pre-load adjusting bolt that holds the spring in place in a Satori Animaris? I had mine too loose and it vibrated out. Rides kind of rough now.

Back