Thudbuster / Body Float

Call up Bodyfloat. They fixed one up for me. I was probably heavier than you when I started riding about a 8 months ago. It works fine with the spring configuration he set up.
Ok got an email back from Charlie...

"We do offer, and recommend, BodyFloat for larger riders. That said, anyone over our posted chart weight of 260lbs voids the product warranty."

Little pricy for no warranty. I think I will wait till a heavy rider product is developed. It would seem to be a big market:p.

Understood. Keep in mind that my stromer is not recommended for people over 300lbs. I will say that I was riding 2-3 times a week and dropped about 6 lbs. Then I slightly modified my diet, turned down the power setting (all the way down to eco) and started swimming and I'm hoping to be sub 300 very soon. So far I've lost 25 lbs and the Electric bike has allowed me to exercise and it not be "torture". Also, Charlie had some nice tips for me with regard to riding a bike and also loosing weight. He was a trainer at some point. Goodluck!

When I started riding again and I bought my ST1 Platinum I weighed 230 pounds. I bought a Thudbuster LT and it's been trouble free for three years. I also bought a Fox Faxtory CTD fork and knobby tires and do a lot of riding off road on the mountain and my Thudbuster really makes that a lot more pleasant. So another vote for the Crane Creek Thudbuster......

Over 1000 miles on Thrudbuster LT. No Issues. Would buy another one with out hesitation.I did buy the dust cover. There was a comment that the elastomer asborbers go brittle, well they are replaceable so I don't see the issue there.

If your Thudbuster starts to squeak a little after a few years of use you can take the elastomers off and grease them - they will be as silent as new, and it only takes a few minutes to do.

I am using a Thudbuster ST on my Specialized Turbo. Does just enough to take the edge off of the bumps. I do only paved riding and weigh 236 lbs, so the long travel isn't necessary.

When I started riding again and I bought my ST1 Platinum I weighed 230 pounds. I bought a Thudbuster LT and it's been trouble free for three years. I also bought a Fox Faxtory CTD fork and knobby tires and do a lot of riding off road on the mountain and my Thudbuster really makes that a lot more pleasant. So another vote for the Crane Creek Thudbuster......

What kind of knobbys did you go with? Do you like them?

IMO, the body float is way better than the Thudbuster, however when budgets don't allow you have to get whats suited for your budget, style, etc. But when you spend 4 or 6k on a bike $250 for a BF isn't a bad price to invest in.. Just my 2cts

Can someone with a BodyFloat tell me the minimum seat height? Basically with the seat lowered as far as possible in the down tube, what is the height from the down tube to the seat rails?

Thanks in advance!

Can someone with a BodyFloat tell me the minimum seat height? Basically with the seat lowered as far as possible in the down tube, what is the height from the down tube to the seat rails?

Thanks in advance!
There is 4 inches between the saddle rails and the top of the seat post that's being taken up by the suspension components of the BodyFloat.

Thanks! For my wife's bike I need 3 inches. Would have been an excuse to get body float and compare against Thudbuster. I have no complaint with Thudbuster.

I just bought a body float @ $175.00 plus freight. Living in Michigan I got delivery in two days. Its 35 degrees this morning and raining. I have a stormer ST1 with over 3000 miles on it. My biggest complaint about the bike has always been the rough ride. I first changed out the tires to Continental Kings 2.25 which made a huge difference. But adding the Body float was the real game changer. My ride this morning through the woods was a blast. The confidence in the saddle was remarkable. And their are no words for the comfort. No more bone jarring rides. I was going to buy a fat tire but the conversion I did on the Stromer with the Body float and tires their is no reason.

I have had a Thudbuster LT almost since day one. What an improvement that made on my St2. Congrats on the Body float .

Upguy, I also have a bodyfloat on my ST1. Was swapping the tires for the Continental Kings
2.25 as large of a difference as putting on the "float"? Thanks

What diameter post are you getting? I thought the ST1 diameter was 31.8 and I only see 31.6 available in the thudbuster.
Thanks

@Kieran , consider using a sizing shim to bring that seatpost diameter up to 31.8mm, that should make the Thudbuster work for you. Cane Creek, the manufacturer of the Thudbuster makes a number of different size shims, just choose the seatpost size that has a shim that sizes up to the needed 31.8mm. If the seat post were one that wasn't as active as the Thudbuster, you might be able to create a shim using a trimmed down aluminum soda can but I don't really recommend that except as a temporary fix.

Cane Creek seatpost shim.jpg

@opimax, please feel free to disagree with me :D, someone else is the local dealer for Stromer in Austin. After doing a futile search on Stromer's site to confirm the seatpost diameter, then all @Kieren needs to do to resolve this question is look along the seatpost that came with the bike for a small set of stamped numbers. The one with a small circle with a vertical slash through it is your seatpost diameter. Given that most seatposts are scratched at the very least or somewhat greasy, check that number again after cleaning the post or use a set of calipers to measure the diameter.

Back