Throttle vs pas battery?

Ironcopelev

Wondering what saves better battery i use psa 2 on gear 3 and psa 3 on gear 5 and why does the power bars go back up and how do i know when the bike no longer has battery?
Because i would ride on psa 4 sometimes or 5 and throttle and batter goes down 2 to 3 bars then i peddal on psa 1 and the bars recharge im a bit confused about this. Any suggestion on setting ?

I'm still waiting for the delivery of the Lectric XP Step Thru so I don't have one I can physically test but I looked at the manual and it shows that you can have different information displayed on the screen:

Toggle Odometer, Trip A, Trip B, Voltage, Current, Trip Timer (TM)

If you set the display to show 'current'.. you should be able to see in real time, how much current the motor is pulling. You should be able to find out what gear/pedal assist is most efficient for you by testing over the same route. If you do this, please use common sense.. please don't try this on any roads or pedestrians paths. I would suggest an empty parking lot.

I think the bars you see on the display is related to the current state of the voltage of the battery. If you're going up a steep hill and you're using the throttle.. then the motor will require more voltage to keep moving forward. That's going to cause the voltage of the battery to dip down. Once you're at the top of this hill, the motor no longer requires the extra voltage and the battery voltage will normalize.

If i'm wrong, hopefully someone way smarter than me will chime in.

It is normal for battery voltage to recover slightly after the current drain is eliminated or reduced. On many bike displays it is common for a bar on the gauge to reappear after stopping or slowing down.

Using the throttle can sometimes be more efficient than a PAS setting when trying to maintain a certain speed. When trying to sync speed with others in a group, you often can't find a comfortable PAS / gear setting that matches the group speed. This leads to a repeated pedal / coast cycle which wastes electrical energy. The alternative is to use a lower PAS and pedal harder which wastes your energy. This isn't a problem when you ride alone since you set your own pace.

On many e-bikes, the throttle overrides the PAS system or the PAS can be turned off. You can then use the throttle to attain the speed you want and apply whatever amount of pedal pressure you find comfortable. Used this way, a throttle is in effect an infinitely variable PAS.

Simple rule of thumb...if you look at the volt meter, just ride until it gets down to about 43 or 44 volts. Don't take it all the way down until it stops. Your battery and wallet will thank you. Don't even be concerned about those bars on the top of the display. I just ignore that as its not an accurate reading. You have a volt meter so use it as its the best tool you have to measure the health of the battery.

Back