Throttle vs. No throttle

kennyb

As I am looking to purchase my first ebike(probably a folding one) I am curious as to the pros and cons of getting one with a throttle. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks

Kenny B

I wouldn't be without a throttle. It comes in very handy when you need just a quick assist, as in climbing a short hill or trying to cross an intersection. I ride with my wife, who sometimes gets ahead of me so I use the throttle to catch up. You can raise the PAS and accomplish the same thing, but that involves multiple button pressing to speed up and then slow down. The throttle is one button or thumb lever (my preference). Also, if you would just like to cruise for a moment without pedaling you will need a throttle. Another benefit is if you have the bike on a stand and want to run the motor, without a throttle you need to turn the crank. With a throttle you press the button. I recently had to run the batteries down a bit on four bikes for winter storage. It was too cold and wet to ride them so I used the stand and clamped the throttle in the on position. Worked like a charm.

I think it really depends on how you are going to use the ebike (steep up/down dirt trails, paved bike trails, side and main roads, work commute, weekend fun rides, etc...).

I have a Class II Radrover 4" fat tire mountain bike (750w rear hub motor, 48v 11.6Ah battery, PAS 0-5, throttle with on/off switch, 20 mph max speed). The twist throttle for the Radrover can deliver up to the full 750w the more you twist at any PAS level (even at PAS 0). Some ebikes can only deliver throttle power up to the current PAS level only. I use PAS about 90%-95% of the time. There are situations when only a throttle will work and I'm glad I have both.

I love having the full power on demand for certain situations like:
- tight turns where you pedals might touch/hit the ground and you want to maintain your speed
- riding over or near obstacles on trails or curbs and the pedals would scrap or hit
- need a little extra boost over a short incline or to get across an intersection faster
- if you need to push your +60 lbs ebike up a steep incline or over obstacles
- When you just need a rest and need to coast for a while; but, maintain your speed
- a back up if can't pedal for any reason

Having a throttle saved me when:
- Only had my Radrover for about a week and my left pedal crank fell off at 5:30am when I was about 3 miles from home on my work commute. I didn't hear when the bolt fell off securing the crank, just turned around and put the crank arm in my backpack. I just used the throttle to power home instead of having to push the bike the 3 miles uphill back home.

- My right shoe lace became untied a few weeks ago (again at 5:30am during my work commute). Way to dark to see how bad it was, I just used the throttle to get to more light about 1/2 mile down the road and untangled the mess (unable to pedal because my shoe lace was all wrapped around everything). Good chance I would of walk the bike the 1/2 miles without a shoe if I just had PAS only (double knot for now on).

Last edited:
Bought wife a Pedego w/throttle and test rode a Trek with pedal assist. The Trek is a very nice bike but I definitely want a throttle on the ebike I buy for me..

I have gotten very used to using my throttle to get started from a complete stop. It works no matter what gear I am in since I have a hub motor. That is usually the only time I use it, but it is nice to have.

1. Throttle helps me in doing u-turns and other slow tight maneuvers.
2. It also helps a lot in preventing me from having to downshift, esp when moving from a complete stop.
3. It also help maintain speed when I am at a low assist level. Example, I want to maintain 18 mph at assist level 1 and the speed is slowly dropping. I can just use the throttle to quickly speed up back to 18 mph.
4. It also helped me in navigating slippery roads where both my toes need to be touching the road.

Last edited:
What everybody said... I have a Haibike FullSeven AllMtn Plus without a throttle, and wish I had one.

But make sure the bike you get has a throttle that actually helps. I had a Magnum UI-5 whose throttle was virtually useless except for starting from a stop.

It seems to me that many of the ebike a made in the US have throttles while European made ebikes like the new terns and kalkhoffs do not have a throttle.

Kenny B

In many cases (not all) riders find a throttle helpful on bikes using cadence sensing PAS, due to the delay of power application. That's typically not so with torque sensing PAS, where there is no such delay.

Many places around the world, like Europe, throttles aren't legal on road going ebikes. There are jurisdictions in the US that don't allow throttles, but as yet that's not the norm.

I have a Haibike Xduro, Bosch drive, no throttle, DW tried out a Watseka last year and this year she is upgrading to the City Wave. I don't mind not having a throttle, DW insists on one. It will be interesting to see how DW likes torque sensing as opposed to cadence, I am betting she will prefer torque sensing. I find that I feel more in control with the torque sensing technology.

Regardless, there are times when DW likes to relax a bit and use the throttle. The throttle allows us to ride together and both enjoy the outing.

My ideal bike would be a mid drive, with torque sensing and a throttle override.

Could someone explain to this newbie the difference between cadence and torque sensing ?

Kenny B

I don't care for throttles, still want to have a bike riding experience. Good torque sensors are my cup of tea!

I don't care for throttles, still want to have a bike riding experience. Good torque sensors are my cup of tea!

It is entirely possible to only have a throttle and still have a bike riding experience, all you have to do is pedal. I do it all the time.

What JRA said... but it is awfully nice to have the throttle to get off the line quick crossing big intersections, and there are plenty more stories about drivetrain failures where the throttle allowed the rider to get back to their car or home without having to walk the bike. Other than that, I don't use mine either, but it's nice to have.

We sell most of our eBikes without throttles but for a certain section of the market a throttle provides a comfort zone. A lot of eBikes have a small throttle assist mode such as Stromers. We just got in a new SmartMotion 28mph speed eBike that comes, as standard, with a 20mph throttle. And it gets you up to 20mph very fast.

Hi there , I ride the pedego ridge rider which has throttle , 6 levels of assist or you can ride with no assist but have 20 gears to use. This bike also has Cadence and torque sensing also. This bike to me has all the options you need and excellent components

Back