Throttle vs no throttle thread #516

I suspect it may be due more to government regulations than anything else.

The EU regs specifically. Other than the Class 1/3 regs here in the US that have been lobbied for by PFB and the BPSA, the lobbying arms of the bike industry, there is no mention of throttle or not in our comparable Federal regulations. As the EU market was first to come up with the modern torque assist eBike, Bosch specifically, the manufacturers mentioned adhered to their regs and by creating Class 1 here as the "top dog, we're number 1" it is easier for the manufacturers to just use the same systems and tweak it some for top speed.

I doubt you will ever see any of the mentioned manufacturers have a throttle option, although as mentioned the walk assist could be construed to be one but AFAICT it is a pain to use and having the cranks go round while doing so would be a pain in the back of my legs....

Lack of throttle kills sales. A shame. Those of us less than able means if we road out beyond our ability, we can still get home.

Lack of throttle kills sales. A shame. Those of us less than able means if we road out beyond our ability, we can still get home.

Maybe it kills sales for the top tier brands i.e. Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc. but there are plenty of throttle bikes for consumers to choose from. Also, would not beginners wanting a throttle already be put off by the higher prices of the brand-name mid-motor e-bikes?

Depends. It's common for older riders with a higher budget to want a step through and have throttle as a requirement, which pigeon holes them into a rear hub or a fairly heavy mid drive (with a few exceptions). Just as an extreme example, I'd say #1 might be more suitable, even without throttle.

cube-town-sport-hybrid-one-400-electric-bike-review-1200x600-c-default.jpg

2018-evelo-aurora-electric-bike-review-1200x600-c-default.jpg

It's common for older riders with a higher budget to want a step through and have throttle as a requirement,

I wonder how many people who look at e-bikes for the first time even know that a throttle is even a thing. If you walk into most bikes shops (that carry the typical IBD brands), chances are the bikes on offer do not have a throttle. So they just buy those.

I wonder how many people who look at e-bikes for the first time even know that a throttle is even a thing. If you walk into most bikes shops (that carry the typical IBD brands), chances are the bikes on offer do not have a throttle. So they just buy those.
Yeah. I knew the Rad Rover came with a throttle when I ordered it, but as my first ebike, had no idea what that meant. I mean, knew what a throttle was, of course, but I didn't know if it was something I'd use or not. I'm sure I would have bought the Rover if it didn't have a throttle.

Turns out, I'm glad to have it but I might only use it for 10 seconds in a one hour ride, for, as others have said, accelerating through an intersection from a stop, with cars behind me. Things like that.

Bottom line, all this fixation on throttles amuses me. Especially the European regulatory ban on them. Who cares -- why does it matter -- what makes your ebike go? Other than from the rider's point of view? If you have bad knees and can't pedal a bike, or don't want to, or whatever, throttles are great.

TT

Who knows... Could be the same reason why some bikes don't engage PAS until after 1 or 2 pedal revolutions, to protect the motor. Or they don't have a throttle because of European regulations.
There's a video on YT with the Bosch guy addressing Americans. He said Bosch would never allow the throttle in their motors. Perhaps because it is called "pedal assist" not "e-scooter" :)

I'll take that bet. How's a12 month 'before long' time frame sound? Winner gets bragging rights. 😎

Back