Throttle vs no throttle thread #516

Not on a mid-drive! Chain breaks you are dead in the water throttle or no throttle.

Hence the need for a 70 pound bike with a rear hub and powerful battery. ;) Seriously though anything with more than 250W is gonna have a throttle (or allow you to add one). I see so many newbies insisting on throttle but never explaining WHY. Most newbies insisting on throttle don't strike me as wanting it to start from a dead stop on a steep hill, keep up with traffic, or get home if a chain breaks. I get the impression they believe they need it for other reasons, which may or many not be valid. I would tell them to test ride a bike without throttle to validate necessity, not because I'll feel superior in my choices or recommendations, but so they don't limit her choices to a significantly smaller universe.

My first ebike was a throttle only front wheel 1hp rated (1.2Kw actual) hub motor. It would spIn gravel off both the front and rear tires when I stood on the cranks and maxed the throttle. Fun, but the throlle got old. Our new PAS bikes, with 250W rated mid-drive motors, pull us up the same hills, without the sore thumbs. More fun 😎

My first ebike was a throttle only front wheel 1hp rated (1.2Kw actual) hub motor. It would spIn gravel off both the front and rear tires when I stood on the cranks and maxed the throttle. Fun, but the throlle got old. Our new PAS bikes, with 250W rated mid-drive motors, pull us up the same hills, without the sore thumbs. More fun 😎
If it's throttle only, then that's a moped. :rolleyes:

The whole of European Union didn't defeat the USSR.
@indianajo please be reasonable.

Let us talk e-bikes. Americans demand the throttle. Europeans (including the Russian) do without the throttle. That's it. (It is interesting that Americans still mostly drive automatic transmission cars while Europe is mostly manual).

Last edited:
There are two reasons I like to have the availability of a throttle:
1. Speed boost when going uphill.
2. Easier starting from a stop.
Otherwise, I don't use it. That's it.

Not that any one cares, but here was my thought process on throttle vs no throttle.
First, I'm blessed to have one of each.
My thinking was based on what am I going to USE the bike for.

My fat tire goes total offroad at times no trail no nothing, straight through the woods. It's often towing a trailer full of gear. I don't want to get all sweaty getting to where I'm going to hunt. Throttle bike all the way! But I still usually pedal!

My mountain bike, no throttle and I wanted it that way. I want as close to an acoustic bike as possible but I need a little kick to keep up and get up some hills.
No throttle mid drive 250Watt Yamaha PW-se is PERFECT! I love it.

Now for the dirty little secret, I've put in about 30 miles of single track over 2 days. Feeling a little tired and beat up. Wife wanted to ride yesterday.
I took the throttle fat bike and just cruised!;)

Update, I just asked my wife: "When riding do you use your throttle?" She said, "Never."

I don't understand why this throttle - no throttle topic is such a hot button issue.
If you don't want a throttle, buy a bike without one. If the bike you really like has a throttle, buy it and take the throttle off or simply don't use it.

A throttle is a tool. Either use it or don't. There is no reason to berate someone for his point of view.

Yep who cares!

It's the same thing in the bow hunting world. vertical bow VS crossbow. Apparently if you use a crossbow to hunt you are scum of the earth.

I remember when the cameras started coming with more and more auto settings and features on them, some old diehards didn't want or like it. Electric windows, power brakes in autos were for weaklings etc. Sort of like the throttles on e bikes some are poo pooing. Hey it is a wonderful gadget.
For me it is an extra tool in the riding of an electric bike and after all we ride them for the assist, so why knock an extra way to get that assist?
I love my throttle as it is a handy tool. If I need just a bit more assist for a second it doesn't entail changing anything other than a gentle addition of it for a second of so.
For me I am keeping it.

I use my throttle pretty much on my trip home when I start to feel a little tired, before that it's all peddling usually at level 3

I remember when the cameras started coming with more and more auto settings and features on them, some old diehards didn't want or like it.
I take the photos with my advanced camera in the full Manual mode (ME, MF). Why? Because you can do photography better when you understand what you're doing.

Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shimano allow no throttle. I might ask why. Perhaps they understand the meaning of "cycling"?

I find little need for a throttle on my Gazelle with the Bosch motor and internal geared hub which can be downshifted while stopped. But recently my Gazelle was in the shop for a tune up, so I was riding my wife's Blix that has a rear hub drive and derailleur shifter. Now that was a different story, as I was constantly forgetting to downshift before stopping and needed the throttle for a smooth start while I downshifted after moving. I also missed the smooth natural ride offered by the torque sensor on the Bosch motor compared to the cadence sensor on Blix which takes a revolution or two before the motor kicks in. So I found myself using the throttle on the Blix to compensate for the herky-jerky assist you get at slower speeds.

I would love to have the advantage of the throttle on my Gazelle bike, but wouldn't give up the mid-drive Bosch motor to get it.

I have a button for 12 mph on 1 bike and a throttle to maybe 13 on the other. I use them for some takeoffs as I get situated in my seat ,some times when tired...but too slow for any real distance...and once when I fell and broke my leg

Like most things you can’t use it at all if you don’t have it and you don’t have to use it if you do but at least you could. I can travel at 20 or 28 on a class 3 but can only do 20 on a class 2 or 1

Last edited:
I take the photos with my advanced camera in the full Manual mode (ME, MF). Why? Because you can do photography better when you understand what you're doing.

Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shimano allow no throttle. I might ask why. Perhaps they understand the meaning of "cycling"?

Comparing auto and manual settings on a camera to throttle and no throttle on an ebike is a real stretch.
You don't think ebikes should have throttles....don't buy one, and don't try and tell us that buying an ebike with a throttle means we don't know the meaning of cycling.

Reactions: JRA
My Raleigh mid-drive E-Bike has a twist throttle which allows 6 mph without peddling.
After that you have to pedal, but you can use the throttle as a boost.

Like others said it's a great tool.

Comparing auto and manual settings on a camera to throttle and no throttle on an ebike is a real stretch.
You don't think ebikes should have throttles....don't buy one, and don't try and tell us that buying an ebike with a throttle means we don't know the meaning of cycling.
The stretch began at the moment Indianajo started talking about the U.S. defeating the USSR :)
Deacon, why the four largest mid-drive motors makers don't allow the throttle (but the Walk function exists)?

OK so I don't know much about it, but a throttle is lightweight, cheap, and reliable. Think about variable speed drill. If a throttle is a is $100 upgrade, I'd buy one in a minute for getting home with a sprained ankle or such. If it is a $500 upgrade, I'd pass. This is America, why not have both?

I don't understand why this throttle - no throttle topic is such a hot button issue.
If you don't want a throttle, buy a bike without one. If the bike you really like has a throttle, buy it and take the throttle off or simply don't use it.

A throttle is a tool. Either use it or don't. There is no reason to berate someone for his point of view.

This thread was originally titled random thoughts for newbies before the OP got upset and changed it before picking up marbles. It wold be a more interesting discussion whether anyone would recommend a newbie only focus on bikes that offer throttle. I don't really care if anyone uses a throttle nor do I berate their choice, only if it's an uninformed assumption.

Bosch, Brose, Yamaha, Shimano allow no throttle. I might ask why.
Who knows... Could be the same reason why some bikes don't engage PAS until after 1 or 2 pedal revolutions, to protect the motor. Or they don't have a throttle because of European regulations.

Back