Thoughts on securing a bike using rear suspension

TomD

Just picked up a folding lock and was hoping to lock my rear wheel with the frame. Sadly it won't fit due to the length of the rear suspension so considering a less secure frame attachment. Thoughts on locking the bike this way? I realize someone could easily unscrew the rear suspension bolts but they would still be left with half a bike. Also, they would have to cut or remove the brake line, shift cable, and other wires attached to the rear wheel. I am thinking a thief is more likely to just use a brute force method (grinder, drill, etc.) so I'm not really giving up that much security in reality. Side benefit of less potential to scratch up the frame with the lock.

1598567775504.png

Last edited:
Nothing like bike owners trying to think like thieves and then assume they can out smart them. My money is on the thieves based on the fact that 2 million bicycles are stolen every year in the US. One every 30 seconds.

Well, that's kind of what I'm thinking. Not looking to outsmart them. I figure they can take the bike one way or another. And grinding is probably easier than disassembling the bike and taking half of it.

Nothing like bike owners trying to think like thieves and then assume they can out smart them. My money is on the thieves based on the fact that 2 million bicycles are stolen every year in the US. One every 30 seconds.

Yeah, I've had too many bikes, minicycles, mopeds and motorcycles stolen in the day to think that a fancy lock will prevent the loser bike thieves from taking it if they want it. Thats why I keep it with me or in my sight. I'm convinced if they want it, they can get it within a minute. I aint gettin that feeling in my stomach ever again...

Well, I guess I won't have to worry about whether to lock it in the rear suspension. Seems I am able to lock it more securely as long as I get it close enough to the post. And yes, I have no illusions that a competent bike thief will have no problems taking my bike if they really want it.

IMG_20200827_170346.jpg

I have reached the sad conclusion that :

1) A $10 set of allen wrenches will let the thief quickly strip my bike of its components, or
2) The thief can quickly saw my frame, defeat the lock, and sell it for components.

Really the only solution is not to leave it out-of-sight for more than 3 minutes.

Well, I guess I won't have to worry about whether to lock it in the rear suspension. Seems I am able to lock it more securely as long as I get it close enough to the post. And yes, I have no illusions that a competent bike thief will have no problems taking my bike if they really want it.

View attachment 63699
A cordless impact wrench will pull the nuts off that post you've locked to. See my new post showing the thief pushing a stolen bicycle along with the bike rack he removed. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/think-your-bike-lock-will-work.37075/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 11.13.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 11.13.52 PM.png
    377.7 KB · Views: 354
Well, the upside is the lock is snug enough there isn't clearance to pull the bottom of the post thru the lock, so would need to take the long wavy post with the bike. 🤪

I'm sure there's an easier method... axle grinder, hudraulic bolt cutter, etc. If they want the bike they will get it. That's where the hidden GPS tracker might help, hopefully I never have to find out.

1598589245012.png

Last edited:
My wife and i are taking our bikes to a RV Park in a small town, and I am Extremely uneasy about leaving them outside at nights.
I Really Hate being forced to bring them in the RV, so I am taking Multiple Locks (6 Cable Locks, 2 Chain, 2 Large Locks) to lock them
together to be harder to move, and to take a Lot of time cutting them all, and individual covers, and a double cover to try to keep
them concealed as much as possible, plus two motion detector lights that will come on when it senses any movement.
All of this worry about keeping them safe, and a Thief from being Shot, certainly 'Stunts' a lot of my anticipation about taking and
enjoying them.

My wife and i are taking our bikes to a RV Park in a small town, and I am Extremely uneasy about leaving them outside at nights.
I Really Hate being forced to bring them in the RV, so I am taking Multiple Locks (6 Cable Locks, 2 Chain, 2 Large Locks) to lock them
together to be harder to move, and to take a Lot of time cutting them all, and individual covers, and a double cover to try to keep
them concealed as much as possible, plus two motion detector lights that will come on when it senses any movement.
All of this worry about keeping them safe, and a Thief from being Shot, certainly 'Stunts' a lot of my anticipation about taking and
enjoying them.

I hear ya Old Fart. It sounds like with your multiple locks inside the RV Park you will be fine. You also may want to check on your homeowners policy as most cover theft. I have been considering a 3rd Ebike and this one an expensive one and your concern is what I am wrestling with right now. You buy a bike to enjoy and exercise and instead get worry and concern. The times we live in...

I hear ya Old Fart. It sounds like with your multiple locks inside the RV Park you will be fine. You also may want to check on your homeowners policy as most cover theft. I have been considering a 3rd Ebike and this one an expensive one and your concern is what I am wrestling with right now. You buy a bike to enjoy and exercise and instead get worry and concern. The times we live in...
I hear ya, Taylor57, Hopefully Trump will get another term, put some people in prison, and get America straightened out. Let's Pray.
Rgards...

Back