Thoughts on my New Stunner X 24"

Ridetoglide

Region
USA
Hello, I've received my stunner X 24" two weeks ago and have 70 miles on it so far. I am loving it. I'm 6'1" and it fits me well, i have the handle bars as low and forward as they go. My wife rides it, she is 5'4" i have to put the seat almost all the way down but she fits. It is a big bike. Even the 24"stunner bike frame is larger than my 2 non electric mountain bikes.

Shortly after i did a few rides the front and back brakes seem to grind with moderate braking applied to the levers. I sanded down and cleaned the pads and rotors and it seems to be slightly better. Maybe the rotors had some oil on them or the new pads were not bedded in. I recommend ordering the bike with the 4 piston brakes if you can swing the extra $$. The bike is heavy and i'm 200lbs, when going down steep long hills the brakes work sufficiently but i can tell the bike can use more powerful brakes.

Out of the box the throttle and pedal assist were very jerky. ( i have the 48 volt 17ah battery) I downloaded the Bafang program linked on the biktrix website and purchased the adaptor needed from Luna Cycle and reprogrammed the controller settings... Night and Day Difference!!!!!

Overall I love the bike. It is not a fast top end bike, i'm 200lbs and the 24" MTB tires filled to 27psi i could not get it to go faster than 28mph with heavy peddling and 24mph with very light peddling. But for low end power the bike is an absolute Ag Tractor and will climb anything. In cruise it will do 15mph in 7th gear and assist 2 or 3 (out of 9) all day long like a dream with very little effort.

Attachments

• IMG_7052.jpg
    IMG_7052.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 378
Hello, I've received my stunner X 24" two weeks ago and have 70 miles on it so far. I am loving it. I'm 6'1" and it fits me well, i have the handle bars as low and forward as they go. My wife rides it, she is 5'4" i have to put the seat almost all the way down but she fits. It is a big bike. Even the 24"stunner bike frame is larger than my 2 non electric mountain bikes.

Shortly after i did a few rides the front and back brakes seem to grind with moderate braking applied to the levers. I sanded down and cleaned the pads and rotors and it seems to be slightly better. Maybe the rotors had some oil on them or the new pads were not bedded in. I recommend ordering the bike with the 4 piston brakes if you can swing the extra $$. The bike is heavy and i'm 200lbs, when going down steep long hills the brakes work sufficiently but i can tell the bike can use more powerful brakes.

Out of the box the throttle and pedal assist were very jerky. ( i have the 48 volt 17ah battery) I downloaded the Bafang program linked on the biktrix website and purchased the adaptor needed from Luna Cycle and reprogrammed the controller settings... Night and Day Difference!!!!!

Overall I love the bike. It is not a fast top end bike, i'm 200lbs and the 24" MTB tires filled to 27psi i could not get it to go faster than 28mph with heavy peddling and 24mph with very light peddling. But for low end power the bike is an absolute Ag Tractor and will climb anything. In cruise it will do 15mph in 7th gear and assist 2 or 3 (out of 9) all day long like a dream with very little effort.
Thanks for your post! You should post details of the programming changes you made so others can benefit from it if they need it :p

Attachments

• IMG_7046.JPG
    IMG_7046.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_7047.JPG
    IMG_7047.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 375
These were the changes I made:

Limit Current: (A) – I changed from 24 to 23

PAS Level Limit Current (%) Limit Speed (%)
0 0 0
1 10 44
2 20 51
3 30 58
4 40 65
5 50 72
6 60 79
7 70 86
8 85 93
9 100 100

Start Current (%): I changed from 40 to 10

Slow Start Mode (1 – 8): I changed from 5 to 4

Time of Stop (x10ms): I changed from 25 to 15

Current Decay (1 – 8): I changed from 8 to 6

Keep Current(%): I changed from 60 to 50

(On the Throttle Page)
Mode: I changed from Current to Speed

Designated Assist: I Changed from 9 to By Displays Command

Start Current(%): I changed from 10 to 5

These were the changes I made:

Limit Current: (A) – I changed from 24 to 23

PAS Level Limit Current (%) Limit Speed (%)
0 0 0
1 10 44
2 20 51
3 30 58
4 40 65
5 50 72
6 60 79
7 70 86
8 85 93
9 100 100

Start Current (%): I changed from 40 to 10

Slow Start Mode (1 – 8): I changed from 5 to 4

Time of Stop (x10ms): I changed from 25 to 15

Current Decay (1 – 8): I changed from 8 to 6

Keep Current(%): I changed from 60 to 50

(On the Throttle Page)
Mode: I changed from Current to Speed

Designated Assist: I Changed from 9 to By Displays Command

Start Current(%): I changed from 10 to 5
If you want no speed limit cutoffs on each assist level, you should set speed% to 100 for all assist levels. Other than that, looks good!

Thanks!! I'll have to give that a try
Excellent review.
and Wow, sounds like my bike and situation,,, I bought a Stunner X (in Jan 2010, delivered in Feb 2021) with 24" MTB wheels/tires so that my wife and I could both ride. I've been fighting the weather here in NW Ontario (Canada), trying to get some riding in (warm then cold then snow etc) to really get to know the machine. My riding is almost exclusively on dirt and gravel in a very hilly region (my driveway has to be conquered to even start a ride and it has a steep hill that is unclaimable on a mountain bike. That and getting fit again (I'm 64) is the reason I chose the Stunner X, it makes the hill a non-issue.
I'm currently working through a few issues with Biktrix including what I think is a unusually short range from my 17 ah battery (first time out was about 14 km to near dead)! I'm sure there is a reasonable solution that probably involves me as the culprit (technique?) but the diagnosis has started with the upgrade from the 961C to C500 display.
The 961 is very basic display with a B&W screen while the C500 though smaller is COLOUR and displays voltage etc and is (in my opinion.. I just got mine and installed it...it's astonishingly nicer for $60) a far better display for the bike. and should be included since the bike is beaucoup Canadian Kopeks.
All that said I'm very happy with the Stunner X so far and though tedious the troubleshooting has been OK and is likely to resolve my issues.
FWIW... I find the throttle and PAS cut in too abrupt as well... I am going to look into your remedy,
Thanks
Tim

Excellent review.
and Wow, sounds like my bike and situation,,, I bought a Stunner X (in Jan 2010, delivered in Feb 2021) with 24" MTB wheels/tires so that my wife and I could both ride. I've been fighting the weather here in NW Ontario (Canada), trying to get some riding in (warm then cold then snow etc) to really get to know the machine. My riding is almost exclusively on dirt and gravel in a very hilly region (my driveway has to be conquered to even start a ride and it has a steep hill that is unclaimable on a mountain bike. That and getting fit again (I'm 64) is the reason I chose the Stunner X, it makes the hill a non-issue.
I'm currently working through a few issues with Biktrix including what I think is a unusually short range from my 17 ah battery (first time out was about 14 km to near dead)! I'm sure there is a reasonable solution that probably involves me as the culprit (technique?) but the diagnosis has started with the upgrade from the 961C to C500 display.
The 961 is very basic display with a B&W screen while the C500 though smaller is COLOUR and displays voltage etc and is (in my opinion.. I just got mine and installed it...it's astonishingly nicer for $60) a far better display for the bike. and should be included since the bike is beaucoup Canadian Kopeks.
All that said I'm very happy with the Stunner X so far and though tedious the troubleshooting has been OK and is likely to resolve my issues.
FWIW... I find the throttle and PAS cut in too abrupt as well... I am going to look into your remedy,
Thanks
Tim
Not enough air in the tires is the most common reason for poor battery performance. I keep mine at 28 psi (mtb tires) (35 is the maximum) and i am getting about 40 miles on the 17ah battery using mostly assist 2 or 3 (out of 9, I have assist 2 and 3 programmed at 20% and 30% power respectively). My terrain is slight to moderate hills. I will add air into the tire every few days, it usually looses a few psi a week, if i am going on a long ride i definitely make sure the pressure is high enough.

The display is very basic for a $2500 bike, a nicer display would be a good upgrade option , even if i had to pay a little more.

i am thinking about buying the stunner x too. i want the comfort and look of this bike BUT i will be using it on trails sometimes. I would mostly want easy trails but you cannot alway control or forsee certain rough patches on roads and trails out west which are often unmarked and unreviewed. is this bike robust enough to handle the occasional beating just until you get over a certain patch?

i am thinking about buying the stunner x too. i want the comfort and look of this bike BUT i will be using it on trails sometimes. I would mostly want easy trails but you cannot alway control or forsee certain rough patches on roads and trails out west which are often unmarked and unreviewed. is this bike robust enough to handle the occasional beating just until you get over a certain patch?
If you are going to use it for offroading i would recommend getting the 26" with the 4" fat tires, I wish i did. I love my Stunner X, its a great bike. The only major mod I did was put a 36 Tooth chainwheel in the front for better climb ability with and without power. I sacrificed some top end but going that fast doesn't interest me as much

If you are going to use it for offroading i would recommend getting the 26" with the 4" fat tires, I wish i did. I love my Stunner X, its a great bike. The only major mod I did was put a 36 Tooth chainwheel in the front for better climb ability with and without power. I sacrificed some top end but going that fast doesn't interest me as much

i ordered it!! and i did get the fat bigger tires. thanks for the reply.

i ordered it!! and i did get the fat bigger tires. thanks for the reply.
Sweet!! I actually just ordered a Juggernaut Beast today as well!! i plan on riding it on the beach. Good luck with the Stunner... It is a very comfortable bike to ride.

I have last years (2020) model of stunner X with 24 X 3 wheels with 14.5 amp battery what kind of range can I expect (average)

Last edited:
I have last years (2020) model of stunner X with 24 X 3 wheels with 14.5 amp battery what kind of range can I expect (average)
I get about 60 miles with my 17.5ah battery using moderate assistance so figure probably 40 to 50 miles on a 14.5ah battery

decided I prefer hubdrives so selling my stunner X with 35 miles on it for 1950 if anyone is interested white, 24 X 3 tires

Back