this what the partner wants, and perhaps at this point some suggestions might make sense...

Stuart B

My partner is thinking about e-bikes. She understands the benefit of tires that are fatter than traditional road bike tires and had her mind wrapped around 2.0 to 2.5 inch tires, and would have liked a front suspension fork. She'll likely ride rail trail and off road type bike paths, for say a 60K max ride. LIkely Class 1 or 1/2. Throttle would be a plus. So would a belt drive. She's 5 ft 2.5 with a 30 inch inseam. Fenders and lights and a rack are a must.

Thing is, a key issue has become the ebike weight. She'd rather be able to lift the bike into a traditional car/bike rack herself - so she can bike when I'm not around - which is understandable. Is a more accessible ebike trailer possible? Not sure. Anyway, she lifted up a 47.5 lb ebike at a bike store yesterday, and found it pretty heavy.

So if the target bike is say 50 lbs or less, and wider tires are better, and a front suspension fork is preferred, and if s step through is desired, but not a deal killer, within say a 2 - 6K budget (decent components), what ebike would you throw on the table for consideration.

The Priority Embark is on the short list. As is the Ohm Stepthrough, though neither fully satisfies the requirements. If weight was not a factor, there are quite a few good candidates, such as a DOST bike and a few others.

Any thoughts on the lighter bike side?

thanks,

Stuart

My first thought is to consider lifting one end of the bike at a time?

My wife runs the Moustache Dimanche 29.3 at 41.8 pounds, Shimano GRX400. Adding OEM fenders would add 3-4 pounds. The carbon gravel fork is smooth enough and one could do a suspension stem and/or seat post. Once you add shocks you add 6-8 pounds. We run 50 mm tires and can do 55-58mm with no fenders. I talked her out of fenders, rack, kickstand. Added a nice Brooks spring seat, Revelate top tub bag, Crank Brothers flats pedals and a nice mirror and she is happy. Loves the lower weight. Probably comes in around 43-44 pounds. Probably will add the fenders at some point, maybe.... Look at their Friday 28.3 open (step through) at 44.5 pounds with fenders.

I run the Dimanche 28.5 with Shimano GRX 810.

Their NA distribution is Ontario Canada too.

Last edited:
Most of out batteries weigh around 6.5 lb , so something with an easily removed battery is easier to lift AND arguably safer whilst being transported.

Does she really need throttle and gelt drive?

It's pricey, but the Thule EasyFold XT2 rack is equipped with a ramp that allows one person to load and unload a heavy ebike. We enjoy ours.

I've owned both throttle and pedal assist only ebikes and I have to say that by far I prefer the pedal assist though the ebikes we have now have a sophisticated torque sensor system that probably makes all the difference. They are worth a look. We ride Specialized Vado 5s. The Como model has comparable performance, but a different cockpit geometry (more upright). The other 'majors' offer similar models.

My wife is 5'2" and rides the step over Vado 5 in a small.

I personally wanted LBS support which influenced the final choice. YRMV.

Front suspension fork adds weight, belt drive typically uses an IGH that adds more weight. Difficult to find any lightweight step-through ebike with those features. Lightweight (ie <40lb) step-through ebikes typically have a rigid fork and derailleur with chain like the LeMond Dutch, Coboc Kallio, Orbea Optima, or Cannondale Treadwell Neo EQ Remixte (all use the same low torque 250w ebikemotion x35 hub motor) or any ebike from BikeFriday.

Under 50lb I’d suggest test riding the Yamaha Cross Connect which is not a step through but is available in small frame size and has a suspension fork, and the Liv Amiti E+2 that has a mid-step small frame size, suspension fork, and also uses a Yamaha motor.

Last edited:
My wife runs the Moustache Dimanche 29.3 at 41.8 pounds, Shimano GRX400. Adding OEM fenders would add 3-4 pounds. The carbon gravel fork is smooth enough and one could do a suspension stem and/or seat post. Once you add shocks you add 6-8 pounds. We run 50 mm tires and can do 55-58mm with no fenders. I talked her out of fenders, rack, kickstand. Added a nice Brooks spring seat, Revelate top tub bag, Crank Brothers flats pedals and a nice mirror and she is happy. Loves the lower weight. Probably comes in around 43-44 pounds. Probably will add the fenders at some point, maybe.... Look at their Friday 28.3 open (step through) at 44.5 pounds with fenders.

I will definitely have a look. thanks for the recommendation.

Stuart,
I’m in a similar situation as your partner. I have short “vertically challenged” legs, and wimpy arms so lifting these beasts is a challenge. Both my ebikes have front shocks and I really don’t need the shocks, they’re simply extra weight. My riding position is very upright so very little weight is on the front wheel. However a great suspension seat post is an absolute must! I have Kinect on both bikes and without a doubt has made a huge difference in ride comfort. My next ebike will have smaller tires for easy mounting and no shocks, but will add a Kinect.
As far as bike weights, check out some of the Cannondale models. Not sure how they do it but some of their models are lighter than other brands in the same price range.

I'm quite impressed with some of the Moustache bikes though I've not read reviews on them yet. There is a FS fully equipped mountain bike around 53 lbs, which is pretty good, though it's not cheap. I've not seen the bike you highlight yet, but they all see to have appealing designs. Not necessarily cheap, but I'll dig further into the quality side. talk again. thanks,

Most of out batteries weigh around 6.5 lb , so something with an easily removed battery is easier to lift AND arguably safer whilst being transported.

Does she really need throttle and gelt drive?
Technically no, but a throttle is fun. The belt drive - these bikes will see plenty of rain. This year we can do without. Soon, belt drives will be the norm. For people who don't take care of their bikes, it's not bad alternative.

thx,

Stuart

It's pricey, but the Thule EasyFold XT2 rack is equipped with a ramp that allows one person to load and unload a heavy ebike. We enjoy ours.

I've owned both throttle and pedal assist only ebikes and I have to say that by far I prefer the pedal assist though the ebikes we have now have a sophisticated torque sensor system that probably makes all the difference. They are worth a look. We ride Specialized Vado 5s. The Como model has comparable performance, but a different cockpit geometry (more upright). The other 'majors' offer similar models.

My wife is 5'2" and rides the step over Vado 5 in a small.

I personally wanted LBS support which influenced the final choice. YRMV.
I'll have a look. My wife is about the same height. The specialized tend to have narrower tires - subject to pinch flats and may be a little less forgiving on open terrain, but they are amazing bikes.
thanks for the recommendations, I'll look at the Vado 5 step through. The specialized are much more interesting than I had thought. There are some options. Need to do a deeper dive on these. thx for your input.

Last edited:
Stuart,
I’m in a similar situation as your partner. I have short “vertically challenged” legs, and wimpy arms so lifting these beasts is a challenge. Both my ebikes have front shocks and I really don’t need the shocks, they’re simply extra weight. My riding position is very upright so very little weight is on the front wheel. However a great suspension seat post is an absolute must! I have Kinect on both bikes and without a doubt has made a huge difference in ride comfort. My next ebike will have smaller tires for easy mounting and no shocks, but will add a Kinect.
As far as bike weights, check out some of the Cannondale models. Not sure how they do it but some of their models are lighter than other brands in the same price range.
thanks Marci jo, it's very possible she agrees that front suspension forks are not necessary for her (even though I find I need one). Re tires, I'd rather see 2 6 x 2.3 and I do see some in the 50 lb range. I'll have a look at Cannondale. I think I have one, but a non-ebike. Enjoy it though. best, Stuart

Back