This is a cool bike

Jim W wrote:
"Well, while I'm waiting for mine, I was looking around the internet and found another board with a forum about the ODK"
Hey Jim, thanks for putting us on to that other Juiced Riders forum. Looks like that one began with the ODK V2 back in 2013. I'd like to share another one I found for really enthusiastic Juiced Riders fans like us, although I'll always consider this forum my "home base." It's called the Juiced Riders Fans Wiki, and the link is:
http://juiced-riders-fans.wikia.com/wiki/Juiced_Riders_Fans_Wiki
Great find Rabbit :)

I have a new mission once my ODK gets here, and that is rig it so that I can carry a bari sax on the rear rack. I play in the local community college band at night, and I'd like to be able to ride my bike to rehearsals instead of taking the car. In case you're not familiar with it, the bari is huge. And the case it comes in is even more huge. It's not so much the weight as it is the length of the case. I expect that there's going to be an issue with weight distribution as it extends beyond the rear of the bike by at least two-and-a-half feet. I'm pretty sure I could attach my trailer to the bike and stuff the bari inside. (Of course it would stand up in the air like a bass fiddle in a Volkswagen bug.) But what I really want to do is figure out some way to secure it to the rear rack so that I don't have to drag along a trailer. I'll post a photo of my dilemma once the bike arrives, and maybe someone will have some suggestions.

I have a new mission once my ODK gets here, and that is rig it so that I can carry a bari sax on the rear rack. I play in the local community college band at night, and I'd like to be able to ride my bike to rehearsals instead of taking the car. In case you're not familiar with it, the bari is huge. And the case it comes in is even more huge. It's not so much the weight as it is the length of the case. I expect that there's going to be an issue with weight distribution as it extends beyond the rear of the bike by at least two-and-a-half feet. I'm pretty sure I could attach my trailer to the bike and stuff the bari inside. (Of course it would stand up in the air like a bass fiddle in a Volkswagen bug.) But what I really want to do is figure out some way to secure it to the rear rack so that I don't have to drag along a trailer. I'll post a photo of my dilemma once the bike arrives, and maybe someone will have some suggestions.

Wow Jim,
I FEEL you on this mission because I'm a Bass Guitar Player, and I've been racking my brain as to how to carry such a Long instrument on my soon-to-arrive Juiced Riders ODK, without hauling a trailer behind it. I ran across this picture of a kind of side-saddle style of rack. (Where there's a will there's a way!) I don't know if it's an off the shelf rack or do-it-yourself, so I'll be joining you on your Mission Jim. I could meet you over at the EBR Community Accesories forum and start a new thread over there when and if my research comes up with a solution worth sharing. I'd be very interested in what you come up with too my friend!
image.jpg
Since our bike is a step-through, it doesn't block access to have one side covered like in this picture— in this case by a smiley boogie board!

Hmmm! Now that's interesting. Tora mentioned something about someone he knew who had rigged something like this to carry a surf board. I thought he was talking about the ODK, but maybe this is what he was referring to.

The EBR Community Accessories sounds like a good place to meet if I can come up with a decent idea. I'm pretty sure it's going to be something down and dirty--just enough to get me from A to B and back again without falling apart along the way because I definitely don't know how to weld.

But what I really want to do is figure out some way to secure it to the rear rack so that I don't have to drag along a trailer. I'll post a photo of my dilemma once the bike arrives, and maybe someone will have some suggestions.

If the bike rack and existing trailer don't work, here's a thought: https://www.burley.com/product/travoy/ It has great features and accessories, and the track width is only 20".

@Ravi, I searched on Travoy and saw you have one. Your thoughts for carrying a musical instrument?

Attachments

• travoy-yellow.jpg
    travoy-yellow.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 416
Maraetsky and Ravi,

That's perfect! As soon as I saw the photo, I remembered back to when I was in junior high. One of my bandmates rode his bike to school and carried a tenor sax. He rigged-up an old leather golf club bag, somehow connecting the handle to his seat post. I like the Travoy idea, and I think that's the way I'll go, but there's something about the leather golf club bag that says "class."

Thanks for finding this rig.

Maraetsky and Ravi,

That's perfect! As soon as I saw the photo, I remembered back to when I was in junior high. One of my bandmates rode his bike to school and carried a tenor sax. He rigged-up an old leather golf club bag, somehow connecting the handle to his seat post. I like the Travoy idea, and I think that's the way I'll go, but there's something about the leather golf club bag that says "class."
Thanks for finding this rig.

@Jim W @maraetsky ,

I love using Burley Travoy. It's so functional and simple to use. If you were to carry anything like a musical instrument, Travoy is the way to go.
I would too concerned about securing it firmly on the rear rack with all the bungee cords. The Travoy comes with a large bag and few straps and I routinely haul 35-40lbs of groceries.

Here are some pics of people using the Travoy on an E/bikes.

easy-motion-neo-jumper-with-burley-travoy-trailer.jpg

057.jpg

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

414b7239b2dd22cbbdc16d3a8efe5cc0.jpg

8165761625_73b9e4914e.jpg

@Ravi
Great pics... thanks! I may need the rack plate setup from Pedego because I might not be able to raise my seat. Do you know if there is a way to attach the Travoy using the regular hitch without raising the seat?

@Ravi
Great pics... thanks! I may need the rack plate setup from Pedego because I might not be able to raise my seat. Do you know if there is a way to attach the Travoy using the regular hitch without raising the seat?

Because of the bikes 20" wheels, you may need a rack attachment setup with extra long tubing.
I have tried it on 26" and 27.5" bikes and it works fine. On a 20" bike, I would be too concerned about the low angle. The trailer works best when it's attachment handle are parallel to the ground.

Because of the bikes 20" wheels, you may need a rack attachment setup with extra long tubing.
I have tried it on 26" and 27.5" bikes and it works fine. On a 20" bike, I would be too concerned about the low angle. The trailer works best when it's attachment handle are parallel to the ground.

I see. I may be out of luck.

Well, I took the cover off of my granddaughter's trailer "carriage." All that was left when I finished were two wheels and a rectangular, aluminum frame. I cut some pieces of 1X3 and 1X4 dimension wood and laid them longitudinally across the frame then bolted them to the frame. It's very sturdy--looks nice and custom-made. I think I'm going to stain the wood and put on a couple of coats of tongue oil for the ultimate detailing job. And I'll somehow rig-up a place to stick the alert flag. I'll wait until the bike arrives then take photos and post them here.

Oh yes, and the bari fits perfectly with less than a foot of overhand off the back end of the trailer. I use a set of four hefty straps to secure it to the frame. The bari weighs about 40 lbs. inside its case. When I attach the trailer and bari to my mountain bike, it looks like I'm pulling a 75mm pack Howitzer. I love it! I've got some rear lights and a nice headlight coming from Amazon.com in the next few days. The tailer has such a large flat surface, I wouldn't have any problem putting a big cooler on it and going on a nice picnic as soon as my girlfriend decides what kind of e-bike she wants to get.

This custom job will save quite a bit of money, but if the trailer for some reason fails, I'll go the Travoy route. I haven't told my granddaughter what I did to her "carriage." I'm sure she won't like it. Oh well, it's time for her to get her own bike anyway.

@Jim, very clever! Since the Travoy won't work for me, I've been thinking about trying to make something with a narrow track. It might work if I could find a heavy duty bike mount swivel clamp with an easy release to attach to the back of the rear rack. But, I don't really know how to build things. I became semi-retired in May; maybe I will find time to learn some new skills.

@Jim, very clever! Since the Travoy won't work for me, I've been thinking about trying to make something with a narrow track. It might work if I could find a heavy duty bike mount swivel clamp with an easy release to attach to the back of the rear rack. But, I don't really know how to build things. I became semi-retired in May; maybe I will find time to learn some new skills.

I was looking online for a simple trailer rig for carrying things other than children and I came up with these on Amazon.com: <http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Elite-L...or-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1440797922&sr=1-24>, and <http://www.amazon.com/Veelar-Foldab...or-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1440798246&sr=1-33>.
But they attach to the rear hub like mine. However, the rear hub attachment is a real simple system, and only takes a couple of minutes to do. Looking at the way the ODK is designed, it looks just as simple as my mountain bike. I'll be able to tell for sure in the next couple of weeks, I suppose.

FWIW.

The travoy is on sale on Amazon. $199.
I paid $290 last year.

Thanks Ravi. I noticed that REI lowered their price to $199 as well. I wonder if a new model is going to come out soon. At any rate, I'm going to try my custom "Howitzer" trailer and see how that one works out.

I was looking online for a simple trailer rig for carrying things other than children and I came up with these on Amazon.com: <http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Elite-L...or-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1440797922&sr=1-24>, and <http://www.amazon.com/Veelar-Foldab...or-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1440798246&sr=1-33>.
But they attach to the rear hub like mine. However, the rear hub attachment is a real simple system, and only takes a couple of minutes to do. Looking at the way the ODK is designed, it looks just as simple as my mountain bike. I'll be able to tell for sure in the next couple of weeks, I suppose.

Thanks Jim, this is encouraging. I like the dimensions, weight, and other specs of this one, too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H2GVO2/ref=s9_hps_bw_g200_i1 Can't wait to see your new bike with the Howitzer trailer!

Hey all you Juiced Riders fans,
'Just wanted you to know that since I posted a link on our Forum here to the Juiced Riders Fans Wiki, I also posted a link on that website to our venerable Electric Bike Review Community- Juiced Riders Forum. That way, more folks will learn about the great community we're building here and they can come join in the fun too! Oh, and Jim— I also can't wait to see your "Howitzer Trailer." (What a hilarious description you came up with, Man. Keep dishin' up the smiles!)

Back