This is a cool bike

I ran my Moped tires at 32 psig or so, which i think was max pressure for the tires.. The lower pressure made the ride about as compliant as the Kendas that I ran at 38 psg or so. What I really liked was how air tight the tire/tubes were.. It wasn't necessary to top off the tubes but once a month.

My first trip to get groceries with the new Burley trailer today was a big success. The trailer followed quietly and the plastic tub held a week's groceries in four large bags, including an insulated bag for cold items. With this setup, the bike is easier for this lightweight to handle, and the baskets provide room for extra purchases as needed. I locked the bike and the trailer with two chains and locks to a railing outside the grocery store. I'm so happy it worked out well and plan to shop this way until the temps are too low for the battery or the roads are icy.

Attachments

• odk_w_trailer_sml.jpg
    odk_w_trailer_sml.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 487
My first trip to get groceries with the new Burley trailer today was a big success. The trailer followed quietly and the plastic tub held a week's groceries in four large bags, including an insulated bag for cold items. With this setup, the bike is easier for this lightweight to handle, and the baskets provide room for extra purchases as needed. I locked the bike and the trailer with two chains and locks to a railing outside the grocery store. I'm so happy it worked out well and plan to shop this way until the temps are too low for the battery or the roads are icy.
Yes! Now that's a cargo bike. You're ready to go deer hunting, if you ask me. It looks like your tub has twice the capacity of mine. Plus, you have a convenient rain top for those shopping days when the weather just won't cooperate. The whole train looks so long. I wonder if anyone has ever tried hauling a double-trailer setup? I'm just theorizing here because I'm bored. I'm not really contemplating attaching a trailer to the end of my caisson. That would be insane . . . hmmmmm.

Yes! Now that's a cargo bike. You're ready to go deer hunting, if you ask me. It looks like your tub has twice the capacity of mine. Plus, you have a convenient rain top for those shopping days when the weather just won't cooperate. The whole train looks so long. I wonder if anyone has ever tried hauling a double-trailer setup? I'm just theorizing here because I'm bored. I'm not really contemplating attaching a trailer to the end of my caisson. That would be insane . . . hmmmmm.

Nah, you won't catch me shootin' Bambi.

Speaking of bike trains, take a look at these bad boys:
http://www.bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/customers
There are some very creative ideas on that page!

Hello everybody. I joined the forum a moment ago so I could more closely tap in to this brain trust. If available, I'll be buying an ODK V3 about the first week of December. I'll be pulling a trailer for my irrigation & gardening business... among other things.

I had a chance to test drive one last week after a month or so of comparing specs of other systems. After comparing, I'm astonished by the value this bike offers. SOLD! After running the numbers, a 23Ah ODK makes the most sense to me (Wh's per dollar spent).

I wonder how everyone here is using the drive train. Are most of you "twist and go" types? It took a few minutes into my test ride to figure out how to "pedal along" with the assist using the cruise control. Are most here shifting among the 3 internal gears or just leaving in high gear?

I know those are a lot of questions for a first post... sorry. But I do appreciate any and all replies. So glad I was directed here. Thank you all!

GG

Hello everybody. I joined the forum a moment ago so I could more closely tap in to this brain trust. If available, I'll be buying an ODK V3 about the first week of December. I'll be pulling a trailer for my irrigation & gardening business... among other things.

I wonder how everyone here is using the drive train. Are most of you "twist and go" types? It took a few minutes into my test ride to figure out how to "pedal along" with the assist using the cruise control. Are most here shifting among the 3 internal gears or just leaving in high gear?GG

Welcome GG! Your description on using the bike at work is inspiring. What kind/brand of trailer(s) are you looking at?

My ODK does not have pedal assist, so I don't know how that factors into the mix. I start out in low gear to get going, set the cruise control to an appropriate speed, pedal along most of the time to get some exercise, and stop pedaling when I need a rest. The kind of work you do may provide all the exercise you need, but you will likely need to pedal along going up steeper hills. I do switch gears a lot, but stronger persons may not need that.

Thanks for the reply Maraetsky. My trailer is from bikesatwork.com. It's 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, and can haul up to 300 pounds. I was pulling it with an unassisted bike but "my" range wasn't good enough when the trailer was loaded and getting around to multiple sites in a day was just too much.

Well, the bike I was using got stolen and the trailer has been sitting idle for some months now. I knew when the time came, an e-bike would be my next bike. The time has come and I can't find a better bike for my purpose than the ODK. The setup with the front wheel drive is ideal for pulling loads. I can't wait to get mine!

GG

Thanks for the reply Maraetsky. My trailer is from bikesatwork.com. It's 8 feet long, 2 feet wide, and can haul up to 300 pounds. I was pulling it with an unassisted bike but "my" range wasn't good enough when the trailer was loaded and getting around to multiple sites in a day was just too much.

Well, the bike I was using got stolen and the trailer has been sitting idle for some months now. I knew when the time came, an e-bike would be my next bike. The time has come and I can't find a better bike for my purpose than the ODK. The setup with the front wheel drive is ideal for pulling loads. I can't wait to get mine!

GG

Sorry about the theft... that must have been a blow. The ODK range is awesome! Best wishes and let us know how you make out.

I had a chance to test drive one last week after a month or so of comparing specs of other systems. After comparing, I'm astonished by the value this bike offers. SOLD! After running the numbers, a 23Ah ODK makes the most sense to me (Wh's per dollar spent).

I wonder how everyone here is using the drive train. Are most of you "twist and go" types? It took a few minutes into my test ride to figure out how to "pedal along" with the assist using the cruise control. Are most here shifting among the 3 internal gears or just leaving in high gear?

I know those are a lot of questions for a first post... sorry. But I do appreciate any and all replies. So glad I was directed here. Thank you all!

GG
Hi Garden Gear,

I'm impressed by your trailer. You're going to enjoy your new ODK when it arrives. I shift gears just as if I were using a manual stick in a car, so I'm constantly changing the gear ratio up and down, depending on the terrain. I have a lot of hills in my neighborhood. For me, I pedal and throttle while on level roads and while going uphill. Going downhill, I'll just pedal and throttle until the bike reaches a speed where the controller cuts off power to the motor. At that speed I can't keep up my pedaling cadence, so I just coast until I slow down enough to start pedaling and throttling again. In other words, anytime I'm throttling, I'm also pedaling, unless of course I'm just too plumb tuckered-out to pedal anymore.

I wish the ODK came with an additional two gears to shift into. I find that when I'm pedaling and throttling in third gear on a level street, I can maintain about a 95 rpm cadence, but if the road tilts downward ever so slightly, I can't keep up and have to depend solely on the throttle. With another two gears, I could easily get the bike's speed above the threshold where the controller cuts power to the motor, even on level surfaces. This translates into longer battery life per charge, and more exercise for my beer belly.

By the way, I promised the forum to look into the significance of the ODK designation assigned to our e-bikes. I got an e-mail response from Tora. Here's what he said:
"The ODK is the name of the platform. It is like the MQB platform for the car. For us it is the big battery and the utility frame with 20" wheels. We have lots of accessories for it and there is the U500 and other bike variations planned based on the same platform. We call the bike you have a "U500" sometimes we refer to them as 'Riders.' "​

Last edited:
Hi Jim, and thanks for the reply and information. I wondered about the gearing when I went for my test ride. 3 gears does seem a bit limiting and I put off by that before the test ride since every other e-bike I considered had more available gears. I started researching internally geared hubs as a result and boy was that a learn! I'm watching for sales on a non-assisted bike, and that bike has an IGH (Shimano Alfine 11) and Gates belt drive.

You answered my question about how to use the gearing. My test ride wasn't very long and I didn't have a lot of time to explore the drivetrain on the flat bike trail along the Sacramento River. Your "manual stick" reference is spot on for the ODK. I consider the "pedal assist" technology to be more like an automatic transmission. The Pedego Stretch I tested had pedal assist. I admit that I liked it but the bike had more plush than I need or want.

So who here has explored mechanical modifications to their "Rider"? The tinkerer in me has following in mind: 1) ungovern the bike for hauling power 2) replace the 3-speed IGH with a Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH. A number of bike mechanics have told me this is a great IGH. Time will tell if I follow through with either. How are any of you measuring your speed and/or mileage sans Cycle Analyst?

Liking this forum!

GG

Hi Jim, and thanks for the reply and information. I wondered about the gearing when I went for my test ride. 3 gears does seem a bit limiting and I put off by that before the test ride since every other e-bike I considered had more available gears. I started researching internally geared hubs as a result and boy was that a learn! I'm watching for sales on a non-assisted bike, and that bike has an IGH (Shimano Alfine 11) and Gates belt drive.

You answered my question about how to use the gearing. My test ride wasn't very long and I didn't have a lot of time to explore the drivetrain on the flat bike trail along the Sacramento River. Your "manual stick" reference is spot on for the ODK. I consider the "pedal assist" technology to be more like an automatic transmission. The Pedego Stretch I tested had pedal assist. I admit that I liked it but the bike had more plush than I need or want.

So who here has explored mechanical modifications to their "Rider"? The tinkerer in me has following in mind: 1) ungovern the bike for hauling power 2) replace the 3-speed IGH with a Shimano Alfine 8-speed IGH. A number of bike mechanics have told me this is a great IGH. Time will tell if I follow through with either. How are any of you measuring your speed and/or mileage sans Cycle Analyst?

Liking this forum!

GG
Well, I don't have much mechanical aptitude, but why don't you run some of this by Tora? He could probably tell you how reasonable the mods are going to be. He's pretty good about responding to e-mails: [email protected]. A couple of times, I sent an e-mail at 3 am, and he responded within the hour.

I like the idea of increasing the hauling power, but I wonder if just upgrading to the 32 Ah battery would be more efficient? With all the extra weight you're going to be pulling with that trailer, the extra battery size will definitely give you the spare juice and the longevity you need. I bought the 32 Ah only because I live on top of a hill. No matter where I go riding, at the end of the day I've got to return uphill. I've found that the 32 Ah battery can carry me (220 lbs.) and my trailer (with groceries or with my musical instruments) with no sweat at all. In fact, with a little pedal assist, I start to pick-up speed on the uphills.

Tora has been including an upgraded charger (Grin Cycle Satiator) with the 32 Ah batteries because there was some kind of issue with the regular charger. The Satiator gives me a choice in how I want to charge the battery. Normally I use the Partial Charge setting, which charges the battery to 80%. Tora said that should extend the overall life of the battery to about 1500 charge/discharge cycles as opposed to the 500 cycles I could expect by charging it to 100% every time. But if I ever need to take a really long trip, or pull a lot of weight all day, I can give the battery a 100% charge.

I'm going to be ordering the Cycle Analyst soon because, as Tora said, the four LEDs are very inaccurate when used with the 32 Ah battery. That sucks because I would hate to get stuck far away from home and have to try pedaling a 72 lbs. bike down the road. Although I haven't gone on any 70 or 80 mile trips lately, I'm confident that until I do purchase the CA, I won't have any issues with range or power. If I want to know my mileage, I use the Nike app on my cellphone.

One modification I'd like to make is to add a locking latch across the battery in such a way that would prevent someone from simply removing the screws that secure it to the rear rack. It doesn't look too difficult, but I need to find someone with welding skills. Until then, I don't let the bike out of my sight for more than a few minutes, or I take it inside with me. I catch a lot of late-night movies at the local Regal Theatre, but I won't ride my bike there until I can convince the manager to let me bring it inside the lobby.

I like the seat that came with the ODK, but since I have a nice Brooks B67 saddle, I put that on. It's a very comfortable rig, although it takes quite a few miles of riding before it's fully broken-in.

Good luck with your mods.

I ordered the Cycle Analyst today. Tora will install it when it arrives on the 14th of December. I'm looking forward to a more precise measurement of battery consumption.

Also, if you don't already have a light system for your bikes, Magnus Innovation makes a good headlight and some great tail lights. All can be powered by USB or wall outlet.

Hi Jim:
Do you know if the Cycle Analyst is an open source software or a copy written one for which you must purchase a license ? I'm thinking of using it for my E-Trike custom build project.

My Cycle Analyst arrived at Juiced Riders yesterday. (Tora had sent me the tracking info, so I was able to see the shipping progress.) I suppose he'll be calling me soon to bring my bike in for the install, but if I don't hear from him today, I'll probably give him a call so I can get that thing installed. I'm really having fun riding through the hills and canyons and all over town, whenever I get down to one LED, I start to worry about running out of power at the bottom of a hill and having to push the thing back home. It'll be a relief to know exactly what's left on the charge.

My ODK is now at Juiced Riders over the weekend to get the Cycle Analyst installed. While I was there, Tora showed me some new accessory items he's getting ready for production. One is a headlight that will connect to the ODK's battery, and allow the user to plug in an additional electrical item as long as it's under 100 watts. I have an electric vest that draws less than 100 watts. Maybe I could start wearing it on those chilly morning and evening rides to the grocery store.

I asked him about a way to secure the battery on the ODK, and he pointed out that I could swap out the original screws for a set of Torx security screws. I imagine your everyday, run-of-the-mill bike thief probably won't be carrying Torx bits,which are the only way they're going to be able to remove the battery at that point--without destroying it in the process.

I'll probably put a set of those screws and bits on my Christmas wishlist, but I've also got my eye on Juiced Rider's yet-to-be-released GPS locator system. Tora said once it's installed, you can keep track of your bike using a cellphone app. OK, that's two items to go on my wishlist.

My ODK is now at Juiced Riders over the weekend to get the Cycle Analyst installed. While I was there, Tora showed me some new accessory items he's getting ready for production. One is a headlight that will connect to the ODK's battery, and allow the user to plug in an additional electrical item as long as it's under 100 watts. I have an electric vest that draws less than 100 watts. Maybe I could start wearing it on those chilly morning and evening rides to the grocery store.

I asked him about a way to secure the battery on the ODK, and he pointed out that I could swap out the original screws for a set of Torx security screws. I imagine your everyday, run-of-the-mill bike thief probably won't be carrying Torx bits,which are the only way they're going to be able to remove the battery at that point--without destroying it in the process.

I'll probably put a set of those screws and bits on my Christmas wishlist, but I've also got my eye on Juiced Rider's yet-to-be-released GPS locator system. Tora said once it's installed, you can keep track of your bike using a cellphone app. OK, that's two items to go on my wishlist.

Very cool additions. Were able to find out how far you can go on one charge?

Very cool additions. Were able to find out how far you can go on one charge?
Hey Ravi,

Tora had to keep the bike the entire weekend to do the work. I suspect I'll get an e-mail on Monday to come and pick it up. I'll let you know how many miles I can actually get on an 80% chg

Back