this $1500 electric bike ships right to your door

This bike at 1499 doesn't appear to be a very good deal considering you can get the Espin Sport delivered to your door next month for 1199 with a better Bafang motor and hydraulic disc brakes. Somebody want to splain me what I'm missing here?
You aren't missing anything, I think most of the posts were sarcastic as about anybody has a bike with those or better spec's sent right to your door.

Missing the convenience? A lot of people can't assemble their bikes. I follow a few groups on facebook.

Common to see first owner's proud pics of bikes with the forks backwards ..I mean rear rotor on left side and front rotor on right side?..You give them eyes, but they cannot see (Lex Luthor in Superman. And other people somehow take apart their headsets (shouldn't have to do that) and leave out bearings,

Even my kid buys an exercise bike and somehow gets the left pedal crossthreaded and it falls out.

And it would seem that if a company was owned by the same outfit that owns Cannondale, that cannot be a bad thing.

Missing the convenience? A lot of people can't assemble their bikes. I follow a few groups on facebook.

Common to see first owner's proud pics of bikes with the forks backwards ..I mean rear rotor on left side and front rotor on right side?..You give them eyes, but they cannot see (Lex Luthor in Superman. And other people somehow take apart their headsets (shouldn't have to do that) and leave out bearings,

Even my kid buys an exercise bike and somehow gets the left pedal crossthreaded and it falls out.

And it would seem that if a company was owned by the same outfit that owns Cannondale, that cannot be a bad thing.
Espin did tell me they would ship to an LBS for assembly if I had one willing to do the work (I have two that would). For another hundred bucks or so, I could have the pros do it ;).

I am biased as a Sport owner, but the Sport arrrived at my front door (actually, the UPS guy helped my girlfriend take it inside the house) and was pretty much fully assembled. I had to attach handlebars and front wheel and fender. I think it just shows what demand there is for ebikes and that there are a fair amount of consumers out there that don't shop around for value...

I am biased as a Sport owner, but the Sport arrrived at my front door (actually, the UPS guy helped my girlfriend take it inside the house) and was pretty much fully assembled. I had to attach handlebars and front wheel and fender. I think it just shows what demand there is for ebikes and that there are a fair amount of consumers out there that don't shop around for value...
I think most do! I have had two bikes delivered and both required MAYBE 1/2 hour of work to get riding.
Front Wheels, handle bars, pedals, maybe fenders, RIDE.

One of the main reasons I am looking at this bike is, at my height 5'4", most internet options out there are step through only. At least for this "low step" model (talking the Charge City) the structural top tube is still there, albeit lower than usual.

Bike is also relatively much lighter than most of the cheaper options, which I appreciate as a cyclist. That primarily comes from the smaller motor and battery.

On the plus side, for me, I only weigh 135 lbs so I don't need big power.

I get it, as a 148 pound rider who has a 46 pound bike with a 250W / 40 Nm motor, I had a similar strategy in terms of figuring the power-to-weight ratio, though I needed a more trail-oriented bike. For a commuter bike, this might be fine for you.

Just be careful if you live in an area with a lot of hills. I'm crazy about my bike, but I just finished a 27 mile run with 3,650 feet of vertical yesterday, a lot of it on dirt.

I won't lie: It was right at the edge of my physical capacity, and I've been training all winter. (I'm 64 and have some health problems, but generally quite fit.)

Often, we wind up wanting to go a lot further, and to more challenging places, than we thought we would before we bought our bikes.

Lighter weight is important for lighter riders, though, I agree. I do have to push the bike up one nasty dirt hill that I'm not skilled enough to ascend, and also have to lift about three or four feet off the ground to get it over one gate on a run I take regularly. Also, I think a lighter bike probably handles and stops better for a lighter rider.

Sweet ride! That is a big one. I should clarify - this will primarily be for a short commute, not too hilly, and hopefully some errand running around town. I have a few other bikes for the recreational aspect of cycling. I also hope my kids will borrow it on occasion to go back and forth to school, which is another reason I think I should stick to class 2 and below. I don't think I want my 13 year old to have easy access to 28 MPH.

Thanks for the input.

Sweet ride! That is a big one. I should clarify - this will primarily be for a short commute, not too hilly, and hopefully some errand running around town. I have a few other bikes for the recreational aspect of cycling. I also hope my kids will borrow it on occasion to go back and forth to school, which is another reason I think I should stick to class 2 and below. I don't think I want my 13 year old to have easy access to 28 MPH.

Thanks for the input.
I don't think I'd let anyone borrow my bike and park it unattended for the length of the school day... Bikes, especially nice expensive bikes, are frequently lifted from school bike racks 😕.

Also would not trust a 13-year old to lock it up tight every time, and not succumb to peer pressure to let friends give it a try... Too much risk involved for me 😱!

Fair enough... yes those thoughts have crossed my mind. I think I am trying to go above and beyond justifying the cost of another bike in the household. I already own 4 myself, but I can only ride one at any given time.

Are we past the point where we're comparing the value of THIS 1500 bike to those of others in this class (that also ship to your front door)?

The "other" bikes in the household are all e-bikes, or are they conventional?

I think we are past that... I realize I hijacked this old thread. I was just wondering if others had more insight into this specific bike, since I don't find a lot of information out there on it.

All the other bikes in the household are not electric. Whatever I get, would be the first electric. I have mixed feelings about Class 3 speed - it was fun to test drive, but is technically illegal on multi-use paths around here. On the other hand, if I could average > 20 MPH into work the commute time between car and bike is irrelevant.

BTW this bike is now $1700. Like everything else it seems it went up a couple hundred dollars in less than a year. I guess I should have been doing this search last year, then again I had no need for a commuting bike to work last year ha.

The fact there's not a lot of info would bother me.

AVERAGING 20mph on a bike advertised as a class 2 may be a stretch. Not just on the available power, but on the battery's ability to sustain the kind of output required to run that kind of speed for the length of your commute. There may also be some concern about keeping the motor cooled on that kind of run (without factoring hills or wind direction).

Point being, because a bike is able to run 20 mph, or even 28 mph, does not mean it can do that for more than a few minutes. You need to realize that the difference in power required to move you and the bike at 20mph is HUGE as compare to 10mph for instance....

And last, if there's an e-bike available, my bet is that it will be the first one out of the barn....

Back